Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 727,221 times)

SM

SM

She says "Third Officer reporting" in Alien and Van Leuwen refers to her as "Warrant Officer E Ripley".

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Was this in the theatrical cuts?

SM

SM

Van Leuwen's bit was reinserted into the SE.

SiL

SiL

So she's had four ranks in as many films. Christ.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Nice, thanks SM.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: SiL on Feb 25, 2014, 11:53:11 PM
So she's had four ranks in as many films. Christ.

Well, there is a lot of time jumps. :laugh:

SM

SM

Could only be two really.  If someone is Lieutenant First Class, they're not going to be referred to as that.  They'd simply be called "Lieutenant".  I think.

If she attained that rank on accepting Burke's offer, you can explain away Brandywine's lack of continuity by saying that Warrant Officer in 2122 = Lieutenant First Class in 2179.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: SM on Feb 25, 2014, 11:59:16 PM
Could only be two really.  If someone is Lieutenant First Class, they're not going to be referred to as that.  They'd simply be called "Lieutenant".  I think.

If she attained that rank on accepting Burke's offer, you can explain away Brandywine's lack of continuity by saying that Warrant Officer in 2122 = Lieutenant First Class in 2179.

That makes sense.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

She does have a Class Two rating on the loaders :P

SiL

SiL

A Warrant Officer and Third Officer aren't the same thing, but.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: SiL on Feb 26, 2014, 07:04:35 AM
A Warrant Officer and Third Officer aren't the same thing, but.

"Dwayne."

"It's Dwayne."

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Feb 26, 2014, 07:04:35 AMA Warrant Officer and Third Officer aren't the same thing, but.
I always assumed Warrant Officer was her rank, whereas "third officer" simply referred to the fact she was third in command of the ship.

SiL

SiL

A Warrant Officer isn't really in line of command (Although a Third Officer is, oddly, fourth or fifth in command.)

However a Third Officer is usually in charge of ship safety, which matches her behaviour throughout the film -- demanding Dallas adhere to quarantine protocol, etc.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

IIRC and FWIW, the Alien 3 novelization said that Ripley held the marine rank of lieutenant.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

I will check my book when I get home, I think that can be "confirmed" status.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed