Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 723,900 times)

stephen

stephen

Quote from: SM on Feb 24, 2014, 06:07:09 AM
It's implied the AP explosion took it out.

This.

judge death

judge death

I doubt it since in the movie they said the radios of the explosion would be 3 miles, if I recall right. Could be me remember it wrong but if it is then I´m sure the derelight ship is still there.

Vakarian

Vakarian

Bishop said the AP exploding would reduce the area to a cloud of vapour the size of Nebraska. I'm no expert on American geography but i'm pretty sure that's more than three miles.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: judge death on Feb 24, 2014, 01:33:50 PMI doubt it since in the movie they said the radios of the explosion would be 3 miles, if I recall right.
Try 30 kilometres (18.6 miles).

judge death

judge death

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 24, 2014, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: judge death on Feb 24, 2014, 01:33:50 PMI doubt it since in the movie they said the radios of the explosion would be 3 miles, if I recall right.
Try 30 kilometres (18.6 miles).
Nebraska is still far bigger than 3 miles or 30km, Bishop say 3 miles in one line and nebraska in another, when they fly away it seems to be 3 miles but I dunno.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: judge death on Feb 24, 2014, 03:52:46 PMNebraska is still far bigger than 3 miles or 30km, Bishop say 3 miles in one line and nebraska in another, when they fly away it seems to be 3 miles but I dunno.
He never says 3 miles. The line is:

"How long 'til it blows?" - Hicks
"Four hours. With a blast radius of 30 kilometres; equal to about 40 megatons." - Bishop

Don't forget that's radius too, so the blast is actually 60km (nearly 40 miles) across from one side to the other.

As for the Nebraska thing, I'm happy for an actual American to correct me, but I believe saying something is "the size of Nebraska" is just an American figure of speech for something that's large. I've heard it used in other films too, and they weren't literally talking about the size of the state.

judge death

judge death

There it is!
Well I watched aliens with British subtitles, might explain the miles text xD But yes thats it!
60km then I´m sure the alien ship survived it, dont tell fox or else they make a movie about that!

That sounds very likely. :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: judge death on Feb 24, 2014, 04:28:43 PM60km then I´m sure the alien ship survived it, dont tell fox or else they make a movie about that!
Says who? We're never told how far away the derelict is from the colony. Given how bad the visibility is in the exterior scenes on LV-426, and how the moon apparently hasn't been explored all that thoroughly, the ship wouldn't necessarily have to be particularly far away for it to be unknown to the inhabitants. It could certainly be as little as ten miles, easily close enough to get nuked if the blast radius is nearer twenty miles.

And they already made something about the derelict surviving. It was called Aliens: Colonial Marines.

judge death

judge death

True, until we really know it will only be guesses.

I wont count that as canon nor is it a movie but yeah I get your point.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: judge death on Feb 24, 2014, 04:41:12 PMI wont count that as canon nor is it a movie but yeah I get your point.
The less said about that game the better! :)

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Quote from: SM on Feb 23, 2014, 12:53:48 AM
Ash never really has an opportunity to study the adult.  Apart from possibly the deleted airlock scene he never even sees it.

It's either in the novel or script (don't remember which) but Ripley asks Ash when his head is on the table "Did you try and communicate with it" to which Ash evasively replies "Won't you let me die with some secrets". So it seems implied he did go and see it in some version of the story.

Also the way he describes the Alien to them implies some greater knowledge of it, unless he's just getting all his information from Mother.

SM

SM

Or he's just f**king with their heads.

TorsoInvader

TorsoInvader

The Tech manual flat out states the Derelict  is untouched because it was behind a mountain range.

That's if you consider the tech manual canon though.

The tech manual also inplies that bishop was a unique android who was privy to information he was not supposed to be.

SM

SM

Resurrection says the Derelict was destroyed.

That's if you consider Resurrection canon though.

And consider Ripley an idiot.

TorsoInvader

TorsoInvader

Quote from: SM on Feb 25, 2014, 01:27:06 AM
Resurrection says the Derelict was destroyed.

it does?

That's if you consider Resurrection canon though.

Nope.

And consider Ripley an idiot.

I always assumed she assumed it was destroyed. Since a doubt a civilian would have access to the Sulaco's nukes

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed