Dune Remake

Started by Gates, Oct 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM

Author
Dune Remake (Read 159,004 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Saw this tonight. To keep it simple, as someone that adores the book, I loved this.

I will absolutely have more to say in the coming days.

Ingwar

Ingwar

I found Paul's visions repetitive. Overall good movie but there are some boring moments that drag on. Gonna watch it again soon.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2021, 07:47:27 AM
Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. But it is what it is, half a story. So it kinda feels a little anti-climatic when it ends, which makes me worry reception wont be good enough to get that second part. Otherwise my only real disappointment was in the fight chorography. Just confusing and unimpactful most of the time.

Weren't you perturbed by the lack of weirding modules, heartplugs, boils and Patrick Stewart?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 22, 2021, 04:09:34 PM
Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. But it is what it is, half a story. So it kinda feels a little anti-climatic when it ends, which makes me worry reception wont be good enough to get that second part. Otherwise my only real disappointment was in the fight chorography. Just confusing and unimpactful most of the time.

Weren't you perturbed by the lack of weirding modules, heartplugs, boils and Patrick Stewart?

Don't forget the pugs, of course.

Kimo

Kimo

Just watched it thought it was good. The word was gorgeous and was pleasantly surprised that the plot was easy to follow. Only downside is, will it do well so we get Part2? I really hope so. Hope it don't end up like "Battle Angel Alita" were we are left waiting for a sequel because it bombed at the box office. Hopefully it will do well so we can part 2. The is alot of times were not much happen like mostly dialogue ect but the world of Dune makes up for any boring parts. I would of also, liked to of seen more stuff from the bad guys especially Stella Skarsgard character, he seemed a very interesting bad guy. Anyhow I'm sure we will get more in part 2 if it happens fingers crossed.

Pros
The world
The characters and houses
The music
The Director
Why I watched this at home since I currently have Covid I really wish I seen it on the big screen.

Cons
Only Part 1
Slow burn in some parts
The fighting, wish they upped the gore just a tiny bit. Like alot of the fighting scenes looked too toned down with the action and kills. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 22, 2021, 04:09:34 PM

I know I was. >:(

Kradan

Kradan

So you didn't get to spend your money on a tasty ice cream ?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I have HBOMax, so I was able to do both.

Kradan

Kradan

What flavour ?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Kradan

Kradan

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Overall Villeneuve and co. did an excellent job with this. I have one or two niggles with the adaptation, but they don't hurt the movie much.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think Lynch's version had better sets and a better soundtrack.  Zimmer's score didn't do much for me, TBH.

I also think Duncan was miscast.  Jason Momoa seems so out of place in a film like this.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 23, 2021, 09:55:59 PM
I think Lynch's version had better sets and a better soundtrack.  Zimmer's score didn't do much for me, TBH.

Agreed on the music...there were some pieces I thought fit but then the whole "Ahhhhhhhhhhh" girl singing threw me off completely. It felt like it came outta nowhere and was kinda cheesy for me personally.

The first half of that movie I completely loved. The visuals and set design were pretty good.

The second half was good but lost some of its pacing. And I think they could've done more with the overal fighting but all I'm all, pretty solid movie!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

This review from The New Yorker echoes my thoughts:

QuoteIt's surprising how cheesy the new "Dune" looks. Directed by Denis Villeneuve, the adaptation of Frank Herbert's 1965 novel seems less like a C.G.I. spectacle than a production still waiting for its backgrounds to be digitally filled in or its sets to be built. David Lynch's version of "Dune," from 1984, was a profuse film, teeming with sets and costumes as intricate as they were overwhelming, making extended and startling use of optical effects, and, in general, displaying an urgent will to turn the fantasy worlds of the story, which is set in the year 10191, into physical and visceral experiences. Villeneuve's interests appear to lie elsewhere. He puts the drama and plot first, avoiding details that could be distractions and appearances that aren't explained (or explained away) in dialogue or action. The bareness with which he depicts the story doesn't resemble the shoestring production values of nineteen-fifties sci-fi cheapies, but it instead suggests merely a failure of imagination, an inability to go beyond the ironclad dictates of a script and share with viewers the wonders and terrors of impossible worlds.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed