Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons".

Started by Blacklabel, Nov 19, 2014, 05:07:47 AM

Author
Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons". (Read 53,821 times)

predxeno

So a logo with that motto in a terraforming colony  somehow equates to it the Company's number 1 money earner?

Are you saying terraforming is more likely to be Wey-Yu's number 2 money earner?

QuoteIs anyone doing such a thing?

As far as I know, yes, people have whined about AVPR's discontinuities and harped why that should ban it from canon but I haven't heard anyone say the same for Prometheus.

I did.  Nothing in there conclusively discounts the presence of a Deacon.  Just says there'll be new different looking monsters.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Ridley also expresses disdain for the Deacon, it's pretty obvious that he is trying to shy away from Alien while not looking like he is tossing it out altogether.  If there are any "xenomorphs" in Prometheus 2, it won't be the same one we saw in Prometheus and will be a different breed born on a different planet and so forth.

Blacklabel

In alien 3 the WY logo is present in a few scenes, if i remember correctly.

Outside of the prison facility, across its walls.

SM

SM

QuoteAre you saying terraforming is more likely to be Wey-Yu's number 2 money earner?

I'm saying I wouldn't make such spurious claims with zero evidence to support them.

QuoteAs far as I know, yes, people have whined about AVPR's discontinuities and harped why that should ban it from canon but I haven't heard anyone say the same for Prometheus.

How terrible for you.
However, "discontinuities" sound like a legitimate basis for debate.

QuoteRidley also expresses disdain for the Deacon, it's pretty obvious that he is trying to shy away from Alien while not looking like he is tossing it out altogether.  If there are any "xenomorphs" in Prometheus 2, it won't be the same one we saw in Prometheus and will be a different breed born on a different planet and so forth.

Based on what I know - well we'll eventually find out.

QuoteIn alien 3 the WY logo is present in a few scenes, if i remember correctly.

Outside of the prison facility, across its walls.

On the furnace vents as well as staff uniforms and Aaron's hat.

Guess prisons are the Company's number 1 earner...

predxeno

QuoteI'm saying I wouldn't make such spurious claims with zero evidence to support them.

I told you where I heard it.

QuoteHow terrible for you.
However, "discontinuities" sound like a legitimate basis for debate.

Then let's include Prometheus in this debate.

On the furnace vents as well as staff uniforms and Aaron's hate.

Guess prisons are the Company's number 1 earner...

Why?  The Company's logos don't mention the word "prison" in them.

SM

QuoteI told you where I heard it.

You've yet to provide actual evidence however.  Like a quote from a book or something.

QuoteThen let's include Prometheus in this debate.

We already are.  Don't like your chances though.

Why?  The Company's logos don't mention the word "prison" in them.

They don't mention 'Building Better Worlds' either.

predxeno

QuoteYou've yet to provide actual evidence however.  Like a quote from a book or something.

You expect me to comb through an entire book just to prove myself right?  Why don't you read it?

They don't mention 'Building Better Worlds' either.

So you're gonna harp on ONE incident when Building Better Worlds doesn't show up when they do everywhere else?

SM

QuoteYou expect me to comb through an entire book just to prove myself right?  Why don't you read it?

Because I'm not the one making the claim.

QuoteSo you're gonna harp on ONE incident when Building Better Worlds doesn't show up when they do everywhere else?

Where?

You're harping on about one incident.  All the other logos in Aliens - on name tags or the back of uniforms - don't say 'Building Better Worlds'.  Where's this "everywhere else" of which you speak?

Vepariga

colour me interested. I actually enjoyed the world and asthetics of Prometheus. I never veiwed it as an Alien film,same universe but unrelated.

I can easly rewatch it and enjoy it. which i have done a few times.

whiterabbit

So Shaw really did kill the last engineer? No more Deacon? Shit and this is why he should have went with the many tentacled rape monste.... oh wait he did. At least this time he puts it out wide open that he is going to "try" and top the alien in Prometheus 2. Hopefully he gives that f**ker some goddamn air time.

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 04:45:24 AM
QuoteYou expect me to comb through an entire book just to prove myself right?  Why don't you read it?

Because I'm not the one making the claim.

I'm not spending my time combing through a book to look for something you'll just say is not canon.

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 04:45:24 AM
QuoteSo you're gonna harp on ONE incident when Building Better Worlds doesn't show up when they do everywhere else?

Where?

You're harping on about one incident.  All the other logos in Aliens - on name tags or the back of uniforms - don't say 'Building Better Worlds'.  Where's this "everywhere else" of which you speak?

EU.

stewmancrew

Awesome! I can't wait for the next Prometheus. And if his next alien will be very different I can't wait for that as well. I'm glad Michael Fassbender will be starring in it. I loved him in Prometheus.

SM

Ah, the amorphous EU to hide behind, where you can say what you like and don't have to prove anything, even when we're talking specifically about films and not the EU...  Your overdeveloped persecution complex is showing.

QuoteSo Shaw really did kill the last engineer?

Anything's possible.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 03:09:32 AM
QuoteIndeed.  It might've helped them, but it still did the job and while Prometheus had a holographic table - it had way, WAY more 2D screens all over the place.

Technically, we can still use Windows XP today but people upgrade their technology whenever they can, and as I said earlier it doesn't make sense to not install new technology in new stations, especially if it's cheap as f**k.

The public prison estate in the UK is still using XP. Windows no longer support XP. Corporations use old technology and like to because they don't want to spend money upgrading. Because it's not cheap as f**k. It's expensive.

Quote1) It's never stated that terraforming is the Company's "#1 money-maker" in 2179.  And some of the info on the Weyland website is a tad dubious.
2) Hadley was a small colony on a small planet in the middle of nowhere, and they had appropriate materials.

It's been stated many times in the EU that terraforming is their #1 moneymaker, also their logo is literally "Building Better Worlds", what does that say?

The EU is inconsequential -  as much as I enjoy it. And that slogan was on a terraforming colony. I've yet to see it on their other properties.

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 08:20:57 AM
QuoteSo Shaw really did kill the last engineer?

Anything's possible.

I'd like her not to have. I'd really like them to explore the Engineers - just with better looking ships and facilities. Enough stone and "natural" appearance. I want my "boneship".

SiL

Wren does refer to Weyland-Yutani as a "terran growth conglomerate", which is about as far as the movies get to saying that WY is predominantly interested in terraforming.

However, the whole argument seemed to start with PredXeno thinking that if terraforming was WY's #1 moneymaker, then every installation would be state-of-the-art with the latest and greatest technology everywhere -- which hasn't really ever been the case outside of companies who make luxury accoutrements a selling point, which WY is never shown doing, so even if PredXeno were right that WY is predominantly a terraforming company, his point is still wrong.

Hadley's is referred to explicitly as a "shake-n-bake" colony, which hardly sounds like the sort of thing decked out with needlessly fancy cutting edge technology. You make money by not spending it needlessly. That's basic business sense.

If you look at, say, a nuclear power plant, even the latest and fanciest of them, their control rooms are all designed for one thing: functionality. They're full of analogue gauges and big chunky switches because the last thing you want when you're in the early stages of a core meltdown is your LED touchscreen to stop responding to your input. The more complex the tech, the more likely it'll f**k up, so things which are in control of really complex things tend to be as simple and functional as possible. Same goes for spacecraft, naval vessels, massive cruise ships and cruise liners, etc.

Three Mile Island went to shit in part because a warning light was on the opposite side of a console from the operator. Think they'd risk a holographic map any time soon even if we had the technology?

Also keep in mind that le fancy holographic table on the Prometheus wasn't in charge of anything remotely important to the operation of the ship. That was all 2D displays.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 20, 2014, 09:03:39 AMI want my "boneship".

That would require a bit of an about-face in concept. Max and co. explained away the design inconsistency with the hand-wave of 'old ship, shit happens'... which is not entirely unreasonable when you have magic bio-goo with arbitrary powers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed