New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios

Started by Moosh89, Jan 17, 2018, 05:20:48 PM

Author
New Alien First Person Shooter in development @ Cold Iron Studios (Read 155,753 times)

Kimarhi

molasar is a free elf

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Schrödinger on Aug 01, 2019, 10:46:11 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 01, 2019, 09:52:00 AM
Well, if you think about it, Alien vs. Predator has had a kind of battle royale mode for ages in the way of Survivor/Infestation.

Eh to a degree maybe. But not full-on BR based on what people expect of it.  Modern BR?

I did say "kinda".  :P To be fair, I never expect to see any BR based mechanic in this. The property doesn't really support the current BR format and I'd think these guys would be smart enough to know that.

Schrödinger

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 04, 2019, 12:02:47 PM
Quote from: Schrödinger on Aug 01, 2019, 10:46:11 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 01, 2019, 09:52:00 AM
Well, if you think about it, Alien vs. Predator has had a kind of battle royale mode for ages in the way of Survivor/Infestation.

Eh to a degree maybe. But not full-on BR based on what people expect of it.  Modern BR?

I did say "kinda".  :P To be fair, I never expect to see any BR based mechanic in this. The property doesn't really support the current BR format and I'd think these guys would be smart enough to know that.

Heh, don't jinx it. People though EA was smart enough to not rush products and have them loaded with MTX shit after the last 10 times that failed.  People expect Activision to improve, but that... Didn't happen... We expected the best from GearBox and Sega on Colonial Marines.

Now, I'm not saying "Bash the game before it's born". But I think with how the industry is right now, the best thing to do is to not get hyped at all, especially those who are expecting a good Alien/Aliens experience.  Helps curb the hurt if it fails, and if it ends up being an amazing game then we will all be elated and full of joy.

Corporal Hicks

I think it's equally important to let them know we don't want those kind of mechanics (without being those stereotypical angry fans, that is).

Kimarhi

We should do the nekkid helicopter in front of their studio as a warning.

JokersWarPig

Schrödinger

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2019, 01:19:06 PM
I think it's equally important to let them know we don't want those kind of mechanics (without being those stereotypical angry fans, that is).

Valid point. Bad enough gamers are under a lot of scrutinies due to bad eggs and politics we won't get into.  The question now is, what is the best way to go about that in a tactful and respectful manner that could be taken seriously?

I ask simply because it seems like those who give good feedback are ignored while the toxic people get heard and one of two things always happen (A: Ignored like the non-toxic group) (B: Things change to appease them to some extent.). A lot of people go the toxic route cause it seems ot have gained more traction than being professional (Which is sad.).

razeak

razeak

I think boycotting has an effect. It may not be the end of the world for a game by any stretch, but it gets attention. Also polite communication on social media has more reach than people anticipate, even when coupled with the potential for lost revenue. It just runs into the brick wall of profit. If they think a mechanic will gain more profit in the long run, it's probably not going anywhere.

Then again, you have situations like Battlefront II which suffered a huge backlash over the monetization system they tried to implement and it was released on day one with that feature disabled. They revamped and improved the game quite a bit since that time without anything but the ability to buy crystals for skin packs since. I would think they are actually making a meager profit or losing money, but are scared of tarnishing the license.

Standing your ground on your convictions can have an effect.

This nonsense about games causing violence is tired and not based on reality. Humans are violent. That has never, and will never change. The sad reality is too many people have insulated themselves in society, and forgotten just what we are capable of. I think our arrogance as a species is pervasive.

Tidus

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-11-disney-reportedly-planning-sale-of-gaming-division-foxnext

I think the game's canned. I can't think of any positive outlook after this. Specially if the game has not left preproduction.

426Buddy

Yeah... that doesnt sound good.

The Old One

The Old One

Damn it, I guess Isolation's the last official (AAA) Alien game for a time then.

Huggs

Best to end on isolation.

Voodoo Magic

Considering Disney doesn't want to make games themselves, but rather license their properties out to other game companies, I don't see any reason they would stop work on upcoming games mid way, especially the ones based on their Alien and Avatar IPs. Selling FoxNext has to be more attractive with those two licenses intact and in production for whatever term they set.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I dunno, maybe the genre matters, in a era were everybody is crazy for battle royale titles or team-based multiplayer shooters. Or maybe there is not enough audience to make money from an Alien based game (Disney Standards). 

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 12, 2019, 12:36:45 AM
Considering Disney doesn't want to make games themselves, but rather license their properties out to other game companies, I don't see any reason they would stop work on upcoming games mid way, especially the ones based on their Alien and Avatar IPs. Selling FoxNext has to be more attractive with those two licenses intact and in production for whatever term they set.

Well, AVATAR would fit perfectly with Disney's family friendly profile.  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

It seems, in regards to self-publishing games, Disney is admitting they're no good at it:

QuoteThe decision to sell the division comes as Disney has backed away from internal development of gaming titles. During an earnings call in February, Disney CEO Bob Iger made a rare concession in regards to the company's past forays into the gaming industry. "We're obviously mindful of the size of that business but over the years we've tried our hand at self-publishing ... and we've found that we haven't been particularly good at the self-publishing side," he said, noting the company would be focusing on licensing its many marquee brands in the future rather than publishing its own titles.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-plans-sell-foxnext-games-1238763

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed