Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,725 times)

RakaiThwei

I don't think that the AvP movies are going to be referenced at all regarding this new EU continuity. The reason being solely this particular quote to this question: Are both AvP movies going to be canon, or just the solo movies?

"Sebela: I'm just sticking with the solo movies, because I think they build up an interesting mythology of their own that fits in well with the world we're building. I think the AvP movies have a lot of interesting things going on, but they seem to exist in their own little bubble, one that's very far away from ours, and, personally, I want to keep myself as free of all past AvP encounters, to start from a clean slate and build my own take on this mythical face-off."

To me, and I am not sure if I am reading too much into this, means that he is counting only the solo films but not so much the AvP films and plans on writing a who new expanded universe continuity. To me, that's fine because that means it's a separate thing from the old expanded universe continuity and perhaps probably not a retcon.

You said it yourself, it'll be like Batman being redone from the comics, TV and film. At least I hope you are right in that aspect.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

Yeah I don't think it'll be a retcon - it'll be a completely new start.

In regards to Star Trek, they're more free to do as they please post-Nemesis now because the new flicks are all set in this rebooted continuity.  A new Trek flick isn't going to come along and undo all the Destiny/ Typhon Pact books et al.  At least no time soon.

But yeah, with this wider franchise more Predator and Prometheus flicks are in the works which could pose problems in future.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2013, 03:00:42 AM
Yeah I don't think it'll be a retcon - it'll be a completely new start.

Alright... I'm hunky dory with this!

-Rakai'Thwei

vikingspawn

So it's 4 titles so far with Aliens-Prometheus-Predators-AVP:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/10/roberson-tobin-sebela-and-williamson-talk-aliens-predator-and-prometheus-at-dark-horse/

If they are taking this comic launch more seriously than the 2009 relaunch....hopefully we'll get better inked artwork inside the comics and with a steady monthly schedule versus the bi-monthlies of back then.  The best parts of that 2009 run were the Raymond Swanland covers and really not much else.  The Predators Movie Prequels were pretty good though. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: vikingspawn on Oct 11, 2013, 03:22:48 AM
The Predators Movie Prequels were pretty good though.

Can we please forget the Predators comics? I want to forget those very much.

-Rakai'Thwei

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'd have preferred they'd have kept the old continuity, but we'll see what happens. :)

RakaiThwei

So the old continuity can be seen as Old Testament and this new continuity can be New Testament.

It's not like the old continuity is being jettisoned out of canon.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

There isn't much continuity in the old continuity.  I think it will be jettisoned in favour of the new.

But the Old and New Testament analogy kinda works.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2013, 03:48:26 AM
There isn't much continuity in the old continuity.  I think it will be jettisoned in favour of the new.

I don't think so, primarily because Fox doesn't really declare anything to be non-canon. Not to mention one of the writers did say that this was kind of his take on the franchises, rather than what has been done before.

That and the EU can't really over-ride the films, when you think about it. And if you want to account, Word of God from creators as well.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

I didn't mean, Fox will come out and specifically say "The old comics aren't canon", but more that events in the new series will conflict with the old to a degree that they can't co-exist (eg. Earth won't be over-run in 2189).

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Oct 11, 2013, 04:17:11 AM
I didn't mean, Fox will come out and specifically say "The old comics aren't canon", but more that events in the new series will conflict with the old to a degree that they can't co-exist (eg. Earth won't be over-run in 2189).

That much is pretty much a given at this point. Hence the Old Testament and New Testament analogy.

So really, if you want to follow a specific continuity then both are perhaps likely valid as they are separate timelines/continuities.

-Rakai'Thwei

SM

SM

I guess we'll find out.

Xenoscream

Sounds good, I hope they can come up with some decent story lines. I'm not sure how well Prometheus will translate to a stand alone comic.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: vikingspawn on Oct 11, 2013, 03:22:48 AM
So it's 4 titles so far with Aliens-Prometheus-Predators-AVP:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/10/roberson-tobin-sebela-and-williamson-talk-aliens-predator-and-prometheus-at-dark-horse/

If they are taking this comic launch more seriously than the 2009 relaunch....hopefully we'll get better inked artwork inside the comics and with a steady monthly schedule versus the bi-monthlies of back then.  The best parts of that 2009 run were the Raymond Swanland covers and really not much else.  The Predators Movie Prequels were pretty good though.

I never did get into A/P comics, but if handled right this could actually turn out fairly decent. I'll follow the news, at least.

scarhunter92

This is awesome. My body is so f**king ready for this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed