Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 115,807 times)

samoht

Quote from: WeaN on Feb 10, 2011, 01:22:22 AM
Quote from: Peakius BaragoniusYou're right, there are only three Alien movies: Alien, Aliens, and AVP.  ;)
Please. AvP can't even begin to compare to Alien³ ... there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. People were just expecting Aliens 2 and so were disappointed.
This movie had a really interesting artistic direction, and awesome characters. And its (theatrical) ending was spot on, as far as I'm concerned.
As for Resurection... I'd say it had a good director and actors, but too much of a flawed plot for them to make up for. Also, the ending looks like something they made up at the last minute.
I guess this was debated enough already ...

I just think prequels are usually a bad idea (just look at Star Wars...), it takes a lot of skill and luck to have it not fail. Even if Scott made a masterpiece back then, it doesn't mean he still has it.
Oh well ... we'll never get to check anyway. At least not any soon.

Alien3 was good, but the main thing that made me hate it was the fact that they killed off Hicks and Newt at the start.
Aliens had such a good ending with the 4 of them surviving and all.
Alien 3 killed it all. Ruined the franchise for me.

SiL

SiL

Hicks and Newt aren't, weren't, never have been, and never will be, "the franchise".

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

But they are and will always be generally-loved characters that Alien3 just made short work of.

DiabloGuapo

DiabloGuapo

Quote from: samoht on Feb 10, 2011, 07:11:22 AM
Alien3 was good, but the main thing that made me hate it was the fact that they killed off Hicks and Newt at the start.
Aliens had such a good ending with the 4 of them surviving and all.
Alien 3 killed it all. Ruined the franchise for me.
Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 10, 2011, 02:10:24 PM
But they are and will always be generally-loved characters that Alien3 just made short work of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOPZMLwnKa0#
I can't stand it that everyone complains about Hicks and Newt getting killed. They died, so what? It added to the dark tone of the movie. What do you want, Ripley and Hicks get married, adopt Newt, skip happily through a meadow shooting aliens, proving that good will always overcome evil, and that everyone will live happily ever after? Is that what you want? It's an ALIEN film, not Disney. The series is about what Ripley lost and had to sacrifice to stop the company from getting the Xenomorphs.

predxeno

Quote from: SiL on Feb 10, 2011, 08:13:24 AM
Hicks and Newt aren't, weren't, never have been, and never will be, "the franchise".

They were for the original version of the Aliens comics by Dark Horse.

I still miss them. :'(

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Feb 10, 2011, 08:13:24 AM
You're right, though I don't feel that Ripley was either.

Quote from: DiabloGuapo on Feb 10, 2011, 05:35:16 PM
I can't stand it that everyone complains about Hicks and Newt getting killed. They died, so what? It added to the dark tone of the movie. What do you want, Ripley and Hicks get married, adopt Newt, skip happily through a meadow shooting aliens, proving that good will always overcome evil, and that everyone will live happily ever after? Is that what you want? It's an ALIEN film, not Disney. The series is about what Ripley lost and had to sacrifice to stop the company from getting the Xenomorphs.
Yeah, 'cause that was the only option for the story to go. Aliens was about what Ripley lost and rebuilding a life from that. Alien 3 was about rehashing the whole trauma and, on the account of the writers and Weaver, just ending the damn franchise.

predxeno

We don't want that.  They can kill of both Hicks and maybe even Ripley if they wanted, just don't kill Newt.

Space Sweeper

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 10, 2011, 06:22:09 PM

We don't want that.  They can kill of both Hicks and maybe even Ripley if they wanted, just don't kill Newt.
What? I think the only real problem comes in the way that it is done in which case there is no real build up, or dramatic moment- they just f**king crash, and that's that. Magically, Ripley survives. And ironically, I think it would have been a more entertaining movie to see Hicks survive, and Ripley and Newt die earlier, but in a way that at least had a dramatic tone. As for the rest of the movie? I found it to be quite good.

Kimarhi

Yeah, 'cause that was the only option for the story to go. Aliens was about what Ripley lost and rebuilding a life from that. Alien 3 was about rehashing the whole trauma and, on the account of the writers and Weaver, just ending the damn franchise.

Sounds like more of that eighties generic hollywood commonstance bullshit to me.

Could Newt and Hicks deaths had more weight in Alien 3?  Yeah.  But Ripley, Newt, and Hicks running around as the Untouchables in the Alien Universe would've been more damaging to the franchise than James Cameron's sentry guns.  We don't need invincible characters in the Alien universe.  Thats what made the original so great.  Nobody had script immunity.  The three of them retiring in the sunset would've been too perfect.  Something that would seem entirely out of place in the Alien universe.

By the third film, even Ripley's luck had run out.

I infinately prefer the third film to that happy go lucky bullshit.  It feels real.  It feels grounded in reality.  It fits the franchise. 

Or maybe people prefer the ending that if I go to McDonald's I can see Hicks feeding Newt a Chicken Nugget while Ripley opens her kid's meal toy like nothing happened.  Because thats believable.

predxeno

Alan Dean Foster, author of the Alien 3 novelization, wanted to have it so that Newt also survives the crash, but her cryotube was too badly damaged for her to be awoken safely so they had to keep her in suspended animation until technology upgraded enough to remove her; this would have added extra value to Ripley's resolve to destroy the Alien.

Vertigo

It could have added more weight to Ripley's sacrifice if saving Newt was on the cards. It would have given a likeable face to the people she's saving - all we see of humanity in Alien 3 is a bunch of crims and the corporate wetworks.

Kimarhi

And of course Ripley, who represented the very best humanity had to offer in Alien 3.

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 11, 2011, 12:45:04 AM

Sounds like more of that eighties generic hollywood commonstance bullshit to me.

Could Newt and Hicks deaths had more weight in Alien 3?  Yeah.  But Ripley, Newt, and Hicks running around as the Untouchables in the Alien Universe would've been more damaging to the franchise than James Cameron's sentry guns.  We don't need invincible characters in the Alien universe.  Thats what made the original so great.  Nobody had script immunity.  The three of them retiring in the sunset would've been too perfect.  Something that would seem entirely out of place in the Alien universe.

By the third film, even Ripley's luck had run out.

I infinately prefer the third film to that happy go lucky bullshit.  It feels real.  It feels grounded in reality.  It fits the franchise. 

Or maybe people prefer the ending that if I go to McDonald's I can see Hicks feeding Newt a Chicken Nugget while Ripley opens her kid's meal toy like nothing happened.  Because thats believable.

I'm at a loss for words.

Kimarhi

That came off as a bit harsh.

I supposse I'm just tired of the hollywood generic ending that gets constantly slapped on any series longer than two movies.  It's contrived.  It's old. It's cliche.  It's predictable. 

I'm thankful for something that at least tries to be different. 

I went into Alien 3 with all my previous movie knowledge telling me that Hicks, Ripley and Newt were going to survive.  Imagine the kick in the nuts I got at the beggining of the film.  By the end of the movie the story had taken so many turns that I wasnt even close to my original projection of what was going to happen (I saw all these movies before internet kids). 

Nobody predicted that.  Nobody predicted Ripley killing the queen to save humanity by sacrificing herself. 

It's different.  The Alien itself had become stale, but the drama itself had been revitalized with some interesting takes.  In otherwords it was a complete 180 of what I expected it to be.  And what I originally expected seems to be what most everybody else wants it to be.  With a minimalized Alien threat in the background nuked by Ripley and her team of do gooders as they rediscover the joys of humanity while sailing toward a promising new terraformed world to start anew.

Blech.

chupacabras acheronsis

I think the way they were killed off was lazy. they could have played it much classier, and speaking about script immunity; why did Ripley's pod survived? the rest got crushed, but she, even though hers was broken just like Newt's, didn't drown.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed