Alien Covenant: Walter Part of David’s Plan?

Started by City Hunter Yautja, Jul 26, 2021, 01:39:16 AM

Author
Alien Covenant: Walter Part of David’s Plan? (Read 5,330 times)

City Hunter Yautja

I just rewatched Covenant, and the ending makes me think Walter was part of David's plan from the beginning. The way David accesses the ship with his own IC: Identification Code at the end indicates that the plan was to put colonists in David's hands.

Is this a real point or am I inferring?

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Depends what you mean by "the beginning". If you mean some point during the decade before the Covenant crew arrived, I don't see how. There's no way he would have known that W-Y would continue using the same physiological form for later android iterations, let alone who might chance across his location.

I think the earliest point where we can begin to infer that he's at least opening the possibility is when he decides to cut his hair, as an obvious attempt to make it harder to distinguish between himself and Walter. Even then, I think it's likely he was just leaving as many options open as possible, waiting to see how things played out with Walter and the crew, and whether he could manipulate them in less overt ways.

Baron Von Marlon

He probably assumed there was another android among them.
But imo he looked kinda surprised it look like him.

David Weyland

David Weyland

David probably has skeleton key like access to the Weyland Yutani cpu mainframe. Certain keywords could initiate things as he pleased.

David uploaded into Walter rather than physically maimed himself etc
It's beyond rationale that David did all he did in less than 5 minutes to pass as Walter.
You can tell by the cut on Walter's cheek during the end scene of their fight-I believe Walter succumbed to reign in hell- When back aboard the Covenant the film tries to emphasise this identical cut on 'Walter's' face with the stapling of the cheek scar scene with Daniels and remains prominent visually with the stitches for the remainder of the Motion Picture

The Title of the film in my view is not about the ship but the Covenant, the agreement if you will between the two androids.

[cancerblack]

Necronoir and Baron have nailed it. David Weyland is bringing some strong-ish headcanon, but ultimately that's what it is.

Stitch

Quote from: David Weyland on Jul 29, 2021, 08:22:24 AM
You can tell by the cut on Walter's cheek during the end scene of their fight-I believe Walter succumbed to reign in hell- When back aboard the Covenant the film tries to emphasise this identical cut on 'Walter's' face with the stapling of the cheek scar scene with Daniels and remains prominent visually with the stitches for the remainder of the Motion Picture
I took that the other way. Walter has regeneration whereas David doesn't; being an older model. The fact that he needs stitches and staples shows that it's not Walter.

David Weyland

David Weyland

If he could regenerate then why didn't his hand regrow?

The whole scar thing is so visually prominent except I accept it's a missed cue

I just find it breaks believability that he killed Walter, changed clothes, cut off his hand and cut his face up( Even though nothing was cut until the fight scene so nobody saw Walters cut scar- So he didn't have to do that but if he did then why? ) & swallowed the embryos

Sorry but for me no

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: David Weyland on Jul 29, 2021, 08:22:24 AM
David probably has skeleton key like access to the Weyland Yutani cpu mainframe. Certain keywords could initiate things as he pleased.

David uploaded into Walter rather than physically maimed himself etc
It's beyond rationale that David did all he did in less than 5 minutes to pass as Walter.

The Title of the film in my view is not about the ship but the Covenant, the agreement if you will between the two androids.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: David Weyland on Jul 29, 2021, 02:24:15 PM
If he could regenerate then why didn't his hand regrow?

There's a difference between mending what's there but damaged and growing a new hand from scratch.

David Weyland

I don't dispute it
It just breaks logic and what you visually see on screen

It's a better story if Walter switched sides or David uploaded into Walter & fits in with all this tech is evil under our noses vibe

Another thing, Daniels and Lope are shitting bricks by the beacon waiting for Tennessee
Do you really think the Xenomorph would take 20 minutes before attacking them or do you think once it saw the situation it's on the move?
It's five minutes tops between the end of the D&W fight scene and the next one

Voodoo Magic

I personally think it would have been so much better to avoid the evil twin swap trope all together and just cast another actor for Walter. At the end, we would learn that David had uploaded/infected his consciousness into Walter and audiences would have been actually shocked instead of seeing it coming.

And to the placate the desire to keep Fassbender, Walter could have allowed David to sneak on the ship. Then, once the pod closes on Daniels as she is about to drift in hypersleep, to her horror, David walks out into view and stands next to Walter. David?!!!

Nightmare Asylum

Lose Fasbender as Walter and you lose the explicit visualization of David's own self-infatuation.

The scenes with Fassbender playing off of himself are the best in the movie in my opinion. The David/Walter switcheroo may be a cliché, but that's a tradeoff I'm more than willing to make here. As it is in the film the switch isn't shocking, sure, but it is no less horrifying in its implications just because I saw it coming.

Evanus

Yeah I gotta agree with Nightmare here, love those scenes.

They could've made the twist less obvious by omitting or shortening certain shots that sort of gave it away. IIRC they made it more obvious because the test screening audiences were confused.  :laugh:

PsyKore

The ambiguity of whether he uploaded himself into Walter, or if David just simply impersonates him, probably wasn't needed. Maybe it's just an old habit to film it that way, but it is a bit of a trope. They should have just explicitly shown what happened; because the audience already knew what was gonna go down.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, that was unfortunately obvious from the moment they were both on screen together. It was always going to go down that route.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed