Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 316,872 times)

DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain

Quote from: Xenoscream on May 30, 2012, 01:42:34 PM
Well can't help the way I feel about it, but like I said, it is a good movie, just not so much for a fan (unless you are into tentacles)

Edit: I read your review and I guess we are on the same page, I didn't feel quite as bad but definitely the last bit felt wrong somehow.

Spoiler
Were you surprised how vickers died, it felt like she was just written out quickly because they had changed the story
[close]

THAT smells like LOST to me. I loved that show up to a point. It was frequently writing itself up to a wall and just dropping threads by abruptly killing a character off. Charles Widmore and John Locke are prime examples. It's really more a hallmark of the writer's style. I'd really like to know who contributed what at this point. I don't want to assume, but where there is smoke...

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

I hope you enjoy it mate :-)

Truise

Truise

Quote from: DestinyCapt on May 30, 2012, 05:09:34 PM
Well can't help the way I feel about it, but like I said, it is a good movie, just not so much for a fan (unless you are into tentacles)

Edit: I read your review and I guess we are on the same page, I didn't feel quite as bad but definitely the last bit felt wrong somehow.

Spoiler
Were you surprised how vickers died, it felt like she was just written out quickly because they had changed the story
[close]

THAT smells like LOST to me. I loved that show up to a point. It was frequently writing itself up to a wall and just dropping threads by abruptly killing a character off. Charles Widmore and John Locke are prime examples. It's really more a hallmark of the writer's style. I'd really like to know who contributed what at this point. I don't want to assume, but where there is smoke...

In the end it had to come through Ridley. No point in trying to know which ideas came from Lindelof.

Quote from: Truise on May 30, 2012, 05:40:55 PM
Quote from: DestinyCapt on May 30, 2012, 05:09:34 PM

Spoiler
[close]

In the end it had to come through Ridley. No point in trying to know which ideas came from Lindelof.

That sound's awful. :(

I actually love riddles. Hope he gets another chance at this franchise.

Hubbs

Hubbs

This all sounds very confusing  :o I haven't seen all the trailers and I haven't kept up with the threads so I know nothing but it sounds hectic.

A shame its not going down too well, if this doesn't work it could end the Alien franchise :(

DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain

I think part of truely enjoying a movie is understanding what went into making it. This is true for good and bad. I am just curios what each of the three principals involved brought to it. Yes, ultimately all of it was done with Scott's approval. Really that's fine. It's his vision. He honed it. He crafted it. Watch any of his interviews and you quickly come away with the notion that he has no problem asserting himself to get what he wants. I do believe thought that sometimes it takes another voice to temper a visionary. In time we'll know more about the crafting of the story. I do want read Spaight's spec script. I read Shadow 19 and Passengers in an attempt to see what this guy was about.  He has been tight lipped about what he wrote. Maybe that will change after the film is out in all areas.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

What did you think of Shadow 19?  I'm reading it now, the beginning is certainly cool.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

I really don't know where to begin. The film was such a massive deception. My first feeling is definitely Anger. The movie is very lazy and insulting at some point.  >:(

Short Review:

Spoiler

Story:
Weak and lazy. No answers for so many questions (the Lindelof touch). A lot of blanks. Honestly It's a shame. They just "flew" over the subject. No real mistery, philosophy or whatever in this story, just a succession of scenes. Everything is happening too fast and it seems that there are major holes in the chronology of events from one scene to an other. Everything start by "accident" in fact with the opening of the door of the head room. The air is contaminated...
And personnally, I don't see the point with the Prometheus myth ? Apparently Weyland just want to make his maker before dying. No evil plan behind that.
Who the Engineers really are ? What is this place ? What really happened to them ?  What is really in the urns ? Why they want to destroy mankind and Earth ? Why the big head and the green emerald ? Why only one Engineer remains ? Why is Weyland having 2 days to live ?...
And so many more questions.

Characters:
Don't know what to think about most of them. Apparently there is only 2 strong characters: Shaw and David. Holloway and Janek are interesting. Vickers ? Can't really tell about Weyland. The others: Milburn, Fifield, Ford, Chance, Ravel... are insipidus. Problem is that all these characters don't seems really interested, surprised, fascinated or scared by what they encountered and what's happening. Bizarre.

Visuals/FX:
Fx's are great. Special mention to David's head. Problems are with the designs. For the humans It's good. The Prometheus ship is great. The suits too. Equipements, weapons... evrything rules. The non-Human side now: The giant Humanoid type Engineers are great. I like their skin/suit and their faces are cool. The giant Tentacle monster sucks really hard but It's nothing compared to the Abomination we saw in the last minute. Only the Snake-Hugger can be affiliate by It's design to Alien.

Gore/Violence:
R-Rated movie ? No. PG-13 I think. The broken arm ? Ridiculous. Vicker's death ? Ridiculous. Ford and the Guard killed by the Engineer ? He just knock them out. They can be alive. They have scanned Kate Dickie's head but don't know why ? Maybe for the Director's Cut ? I really hope. The guys smashed by Fifield. Same thing. Nothing really impressive here too. Nothing that can match with the birth of Kane's son and with the violence and brutality of the Xenos.

The Last minute scene:
I'm really angry and pissed off about the last minute scene who shows us the birth of a "Xeno" from the Engineer. The scene we all dreamed of seems to have been quickly write and made just for the Fanboy Service.
The creature is an insult. >:( >:( An insult made to Giger's creations, to the original ALIEN film from the same Ridley Scott and to Us, fans. Problem is not the fact that this thing is a "Proto-" or "Pre-" Xeno, but the design itself. Lame and Shame. Definitely. A really ugly design in a Patrick Tatopoulos style but shitty. Supposed to match Giger's beast ? Lol. I really want to know the guy responsible of the creatures designs. Did he knows Giger's work ? >:(
[close]

Conclusion:
I'm going to watch it again to be sure and I hope this is just my review of the Theatrical Cut. I really hope the Blu-Ray Cut will be superior cause at the moment this Prometheus really doesn't match with ALIEN. Definitely. In all way.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: EEV-2501 on May 30, 2012, 09:26:15 PM
I really don't know where to begin. The film was such a massive deception. My first feeling is definitely Anger. The movie is very lazy and insulting at some point.  >:(

Short Review:

Spoiler

Story:
Weak and lazy. No answers for so many questions (the Lindelof touch). A lot of blanks. Honestly It's a shame. They just "flew" over the subject. No real mistery, philosophy or whatever in this story, just a succession of scenes. Everything is happening too fast and it seems that there are major holes in the chronology of events from one scene to an other. Everything start by "accident" in fact with the opening of the door of the head room. The air is contaminated...
And personnally, I don't see the point with the Prometheus myth ? Apparently Weyland just want to make his maker before dying. No evil plan behind that.
Who the Engineers really are ? What is this place ? What really happened to them ?  What is really in the urns ? Why they want to destroy mankind and Earth ? Why the big head and the green emerald ? Why only one Engineer remains ? Why is Weyland having 2 days to live ?...
And so many more questions.

Characters:
Don't know what to think about most of them. Apparently there is only 2 strong characters: Shaw and David. Holloway and Janek are interesting. Vickers ? Can't really tell about Weyland. The others: Milburn, Fifield, Ford, Chance, Ravel... are insipidus. Problem is that all these characters don't seems really interested, surprised, fascinated or scared by what they encountered and what's happening. Bizarre.

Visuals/FX:
Fx's are great. Special mention to David's head. Problems are with the designs. For the humans It's good. The Prometheus ship is great. The suits too. Equipements, weapons... evrything rules. The non-Human side now: The giant Humanoid type Engineers are great. I like their skin/suit and their faces are cool. The giant Tentacle monster sucks really hard but It's nothing compared to the Abomination we saw in the last minute. Only the Snake-Hugger can be affiliate by It's design to Alien.

Gore/Violence:
R-Rated movie ? No. PG-13 I think. The broken arm ? Ridiculous. Vicker's death ? Ridiculous. Ford and the Guard killed by the Engineer ?He just knock them out. They can be alive. They have scanned Kate Dickie's head but don(t know why ? Maybe for the Director's Cut ? I really hope. The guys smashed by Fifield. Same thing. Nothing really impressive here too. Nothing that can match with the birth of Kane's son.

The Last minute scene:
I'm really angry and pissed off about the last minute scene who shows us the birth of a "Xeno" from the Engineer. The scene we all dreamed of seems to have been quickly write and made just for the Fanboy Service.
The creature is an insult. >:( >:( An insult made to Giger's creations, to the original ALIEN film from the same Ridley Scott and to Us, fans. Problem is not the fact that this thing is a "Proto-" or "Pre-" Xeno, but the design itself. Lame and Shame. Definitely. A shitty Tatopoulos style design who is supposed to match Giger's beast. Lol. I really want to know the guy responsible of the creatures designs. Did he knows Giger's work ? >:(
[close]

Conclusion:
I hope this is just my review of the Theatrical Cut. I really hope the Blu-Ray Cut will be superior cause at the moment this Prometheus really doesn't match with ALIEN. Definitely. In all way.

atlantis

atlantis

I just came back from it... saw it in Belgium.. I loved every minute of the movie... It's hard to make a movie that  tops ALIEN.....but!!!!! Prometheus is a good movie..and did give me lot of new inspiration to finish my Alien world Project.....and my Alien landscape walk trough....

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

A shitty Tatopoulos style design
'Tatopoulos' and 'shitty' don't belong in the same sentence.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 30, 2012, 09:36:19 PM
Right Omega. ;) But It really looks like a Tatopulos design.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 30, 2012, 09:36:19 PM

That's just like, your opinion, man. Then again, my lurkings on the forum have informed me that while i'm as big a monster fan as you are (for reals!), we have quite different tastes. (lol, american godzilla ::))

Spoiler
I kid, i kid. :)
[close]

BerserkerPred

BerserkerPred

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQEwgKBq-Wo#ws

any questions I'll try and ask them!

EDIT I just realize I got the death of Holloway confused with Milburn I have no idea why I did that  ???

Hubbs

Hubbs

So I'm getting two very different angles here, some are saying it basically looks good but a huge disappointment whilst some are saying its not great but good.

Going this Sun but my hopes are lowered now.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Maybe I'm wrong. Can't remember but I've just noticed that when Janek says "Kill Everything, Do You copy me ? "in the first International Trailer is not in the movie. Probably one more proof that this Theatrical Cut is a shame. We will have to wait for the Extended Cut to give a definitive opinion on the movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed