Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 118,665 times)

Kurai

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 01, 2016, 04:39:00 AM
What you just said is nowhere even near reality.  The reason nobody will ever retcon, much less want to retcon Aliens, is because IT IS ONE OF THE BEST SCIENCE FICTION FILMS EVER MADE!

The main problem is that you keep ignoring that no one is saying that Aliens should get retconned, no one is saying that it is possible. What they're asking is for you to empathize and see how you would feel if something like that DID happen. I feel you're either purposefully ignoring that to keep the "TROLOLOLOL" rolling or simply can't empathize...  :-\

windebieste

All Blomkamp has to do to please just about everyone and have all the fans on side is simple.  It's Soooo simple:  Ditch Ripley, Hicks and Newt.   Most, if not everyone, will still see that movie.  Even you. You'll love it, too!

Aliens!  USCM!  PULSE F*CKING rifles..!  Fresh characters!  New story!  Yeah bring it!!1!!!  How many people want to see that movie?

Does it need Ripley?

errr... Nope. 

Would you still want to see it even if 'ALIEN 3' and 'ALIEN: Resurrection' aren't retconned?

YOU BET YOUR SWEET PAIR OF HONEY COATED NUTS YOU WILL!!1!!!!

A retcon is completely unnecessary. 

-Windebieste.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Kurai on Sep 01, 2016, 04:46:10 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 01, 2016, 04:39:00 AM
What you just said is nowhere even near reality.  The reason nobody will ever retcon, much less want to retcon Aliens, is because IT IS ONE OF THE BEST SCIENCE FICTION FILMS EVER MADE!

The main problem is that you keep ignoring that no one is saying that Aliens should get retconned, no one is saying that it is possible. What they're asking is for you to empathize and see how you would feel if something like that DID happen. I feel you're either purposefully ignoring that to keep the "TROLOLOLOL" rolling or simply can't empathize...  :-\

I am not trolling.  I am trying to save an excellent premise for an Aliens sequel from getting derailed before it gets filmed.  That's legitimate.

I do empathize.

You have my sympathies.   8)

(Though it's hard to empathize when you will still get to keep your Alien 3 and A:R blu-rays.  Come on, open your mind)

Kurai

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 01, 2016, 04:57:39 AM
(Though it's hard to empathize when you will still get to keep your Alien 3 and A:R blu-rays.  Come on, open your mind)

For me, this has nothing to do with Alien 3 or Alien: Resurrection at all.

Retconning is a failure in consistency that shouldn't be allowed when a franchise actually has an ongoing narrative that doesn't need to be retconned.

The expanded universe is there for non-canon tales with Hicks and Newt and that can be expanded upon, the whole concept of the retcon is just a practice in ineptitude. As a writer, the practice sickens me.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 01, 2016, 04:55:20 AM
All Blomkamp has to do to please just about everyone and have all the fans on side is simple.  It's Soooo simple:  Ditch Ripley, Hicks and Newt.   Most, if not everyone, will still see that movie.  Even you. You'll love it, too!

Aliens!  USCM!  PULSE F*CKING rifles..!  Fresh characters!  New story!  Yeah bring it!!1!!!  How many people want to see that movie?

Does it need Ripley?

errr... Nope. 

Would you still want to see it even if 'ALIEN 3' and 'ALIEN: Resurrection' aren't retconned?

YOU BET YOUR SWEET PAIR OF HONEY COATED NUTS YOU WILL!!1!!!!

A retcon is completely unnecessary. 

-Windebieste.

I am totally up for the movie you're proposing.  I would love it right after the current planned Blomkamp film.  These are totally different premises though.  I want the grand film that would have made logical sense as a follow-up from Aliens, not this contrived out-of-left-field Alien 3 nonsense.  Naturally the survivors of Aliens should be in it.

After that, bring on that film you're talking about!  I'm super stoked for it now.  Great idea.

Winde, do you remember Air-Wolf the TV series?  There was the original series, and then they dumped the original cast and continued the story... To disastrous effect.  You need Ripley and company, at least in the short term.  Don't underestimate the value of human characters.  The aliens are just animals after all.  However amazing that modified Bell 222 helicopter was, it wasn't enough to save Air-Wolf the series without the original cast.

windebieste

windebieste

Ya.  Of course.  I will agree with you there. 

There's all that plus there's nothing to add to Ripley's character.  It's all been spelled out and explored across 3 movies*.  What else is there to add without retreading the ground in the first 2 movies?  What is it, exactly, that people want from her? 

More of the same..?  Ripley running around corridors, holding a flame thrower and rescuing children..? ? ? ?

Give it a break, Man. 

It's time for the series to move on and it can't do so if its  permanently shackled to what amounts to a character that's already run her course. 

-Windebieste.

* I guess 4; but Ripley 8 really is a different character.

BishopShouldGo

Feel free to pass the baton to new experiences, characters and adventures once Neill's film gets out there.

The general moviegoing audience will go nuts when they see Ripley. The key is making Newt a great, young, strong female warrior a'la Rey. You'd almost be reinventing the character because the last time we saw her was as a child.

I picture her as a lone wolf, sort of a young T2 Sarah. She wanted a world without machines, I can picture an adult Newt saying she wants "a world without the aliens".

So much tantalizing stuff is missing that as a fan I want to see. That concept piece of Ripley and Hicks confronting the military? That's the kind of stuff we should've experienced in '92! That's beautiful. Even Ripley in the xeno suit is fresh and amazing and actually inevitable in a way? Figuratively becoming the xeno instead of literally having the DNA (ahem A:R) is awesome.

Alien 3 was regression. Haunted house. Vietnam war. Back to haunted house? Alien 3 was aching to be a big, sci-fi action-horror bonanza with even some political undertones.

windebieste

What's she going to do?  Run around corridors and rescue more children and cats..?

I swear, if she does that one more time, she'll have to open up an animal shelter and a children's welfare center next door.

Anything you want to add to her character beyond what we have already seen is best applied to someone new.  Straight off the bat. 

-Windebieste.

Master

I said once and I'll say it again.  Hicks, Newt and even Ripley you loved don't exist anymore. It's sad but you simply can't get them back. All you can get are bunch of old people with allot of make up trying to act as they were in their prime. Look at Indiana Jones 4.

SM

QuoteRetconning is a failure in consistency that shouldn't be allowed when a franchise actually has an ongoing narrative that doesn't need to be retconned.

I'd hardly call 'sitting there stagnating for nearly 20 years and no one is interested in picking it up' an ongoing narrative.

Kurai

Quote from: SM on Sep 01, 2016, 06:09:40 AM
QuoteRetconning is a failure in consistency that shouldn't be allowed when a franchise actually has an ongoing narrative that doesn't need to be retconned.

I'd hardly call 'sitting there stagnating for nearly 20 years and no one is interested in picking it up' an ongoing narrative.

Shame on you SM, I expected you of all people not to make such a silly fallacious comment.  :-[

As of 2012 (4 years ago) we have the prequel series with a new release coming next year, and say what you will about the quality of Alien: Resurrection it left the doors wide open for a sequel.

SM

I love Alien Resurrection and would love to see more from Ripley8, Call, Vriess and Johner.  But we are very few and it's supremely naïve to believe otherwise.  In the last 19 years there's been one novel and one comic series crossover with Predators and Terminators, and neither left fans clamouring for more.

Kurai

Quote from: SM on Sep 01, 2016, 06:34:42 AM
I love Alien Resurrection and would love to see more from Ripley8, Call, Vriess and Johner.  But we are very few and it's supremely naïve to believe otherwise.  In the last 19 years there's been one novel and one comic series crossover with Predators and Terminators, and neither left fans clamouring for more.

Which is totally not what I said...  :-\

I don't really like Alien: Resurrection, but regardless of the quality, it still left the doors wide open for a sequel.
Also... There have been at least 5 novels.  ;)

SM

It left doors open that almost no one wanted to go through.

There's only been one novel that was linked to Resurrection.  Not sure what the other four are.

Kurai

Quote from: SM on Sep 01, 2016, 06:56:39 AM
It left doors open that almost no one wanted to go through.

The same could be said of Star Wars before Episode 8 was announced based on the concept that the prequels preceded the release of the new sequel trilogy. Your argument is fallacious, insulting to the franchise and not based on fact. Just because something has yet to be made doesn't mean that no one has touched it because they didn't want to.

Quote from: SM on Sep 01, 2016, 06:56:39 AM
There's only been one novel that was linked to Resurrection.  Not sure what the other four are.

Original Sin, Sea of Sorrows (set after A:R with detailed references to the events of A:R) as well as the Rage War trilogy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed