New The Predator Still in Empire Magazine

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 08, 2018, 11:39:45 AM

Author
New The Predator Still in Empire Magazine (Read 34,368 times)

OpenMaw

Ah, well, see that's all in how you portray her.

Is she quick? Is she quiet? Slip into a scene like a ghost and disembowel her prey, staring them in the eyes as blood pours from between their still screaming lips. Standing atop a building like a shade or a ninja.

They could also have different sounds/calls that they make. I was thinking of this video right here:

skull-splitter

I always wanted to see a sort of Iggy Pop predator. Trim, fast, just skin draped over muscle and tendons.

Master

Yep, that would be freaky ina good way.

skull-splitter

I'm just pleading for more diversity. Out of 5 sequel films, all of them recreated the classic in some way or another.

OpenMaw

Eh... The AVP films did not recreate the classic. They had a look to their armor that was specific to those films. Predator 2 literally cannibalized the classic suit for several Predators.

The only film to recreate classic so far was Predators.

Wysps

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 01, 2018, 12:17:33 PM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 30, 2018, 08:48:39 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 30, 2018, 12:55:31 AM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Jun 29, 2018, 03:27:38 AM
Predators aren't mammals. Why would they have nipples? ...they are on a manhood ritual.

Hence the nipples. There are only so many other things left to twist once you take nipples out of the equation. Ironically, group cohesiveness is also reduced under these conditions.

Great. Now they'll have a Predator in the next novel called "T'idee T'wistr" or "T.T." for short.

Just to readdress the idea of a female Predator and how one might approach the design, I had this image on my HD. I forget wher eI found it, but it was one of the many Google hunts I went on.

Wow i think it's really good in terms of design. But my main gripe with it is that it isn't menacing enough. The tinier frame makes it less ominous, i mean it's like facing up with a man or a woman, physically the man is more intimidating because of his bigger frame obviously, aside from a few exceptions of course. It's the same here, it's a cool design but not ominous enough. I'd face that any day compared to any other preds we knew in the movies  ;D

The less ominous look probably comes from her childlike build, by our standards.  The lack of muscle mass (less manly), lack of curvature (less womanly) gives her more of a childlike quality. But that all would probably come together to create a far faster, more agile Predator.  Some of the most talented athletes are also the most unassuming.  Don't need a lot of curves or bulk to be quite strong. 

Spoiler
[close]

Anyway, I like the leaner physique of that female Predator - especially her sleeker face and how the torso tapers.  It's believable, imo.  Shows a stark difference from the males without going all weirdly gratuitous.

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jul 01, 2018, 04:25:30 PM
I'm just pleading for more diversity. Out of 5 sequel films, all of them recreated the classic in some way or another.
I don't think I'd necessarily need more Predator races to be satisfied, but I would like to see different ages and sexes.  Even if it was just a glimpse, to satiate my curiosity  :)

skull-splitter

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 01, 2018, 04:28:06 PM
Eh... The AVP films did not recreate the classic. They had a look to their armor that was specific to those films. Predator 2 literally cannibalized the classic suit for several Predators.

The only film to recreate classic so far was Predators.
-even though AvP had a very specific approach, they sure went for the classic look while painting them. Also because of budget restraints, but still.
-I know P2 reused the classic head like four times over and none of them are exact full body replica's, one's paint does come pretty close.
-AvP-R had faces still based heavily on the classic
-Predators had the cheap knock off classic
-Now this films tries to emulate the classic look too for some of the new faces.

And to be clear: I was speaking specifically about their faces.

OpenMaw

Well, if we're talking just faces, none of the Predators in Predator 2, aside of Greyback are "classic." Greyback was the only classic Predator. (Literally the same suit with a few appliances and repaint) The rest of the Predators (Hippie, Snake, Borg) were Predator 2 heads (Very different head ridges, different mandibles, more snake-like paint schemes.

I mean I get what you're saying, but they haven't even been able to successfully pull it off at this point. Honestly the more I look at Captured's exposed face the more I go "Nope, it's just a slightly altered AVP face. ADI refuses to put moisture on them, and refuses to do the paint right.) I could forgive the mandibles not shutting like they're supposed to if they at least painted them and textured them properly.

skull-splitter

It was about making it 1:1, ever. It was about emulating it to call back to the first one in the most obvious way.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed