Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,363 times)

Alexa431

Just want to make a quick note, most of the showings for Covenant, due to Guardian of the Galaxy taking preference, are not in IMAX. That will of course influence the box office tremendously.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Alexa431 on May 21, 2017, 04:47:51 PM
Just want to make a quick note, most of the showings for Covenant, due to Guardian of the Galaxy taking preference, are not in IMAX. That will of course influence the box office tremendously.

Can even mention the lack of 3-D.

Feel we're just over-compensating for what is a disappointing result. First Chris Cornell, now this bombing, bloody hell I'm miserable this weekend lol

Ingwar

I have a bad feeling that we might not see Covenant sequel. It's a lesson for Fox that messing with franchise and changing directions isn't a good idea. Alien in the title and on the screen doesn't guarantee success. I hope I'm wrong.

Dino21AvP

$36 million is kind of a disappointing opening but not a flop by any means. I think the foreign and worldwide totals will make it successful though, especially since it had a much lower budget than Prometheus.

dkwookie

Quote from: Ryan741 on May 21, 2017, 04:41:58 PM
Reading Collider Fox seem kinda pleased with the performance.

I would imagine a sigh of relief after King Arthur. The fate that suffered sends serious chills down studio exec spines. 36m isn't gangbusters but it's not a dud either. It's weird but the difference 4m makes. It it landed the original forecast of 40m the press would be more upbeat.
I would rather be in Fox shoes with 36m off 93m than Europacorp sweating it with 180m riding on Luc Bessons Valerian film. That one looks like a huge roll of the dice. I hope it hits though because it looks amazing

AntJac

I think some common sense is needed here guys. AC was and is up against and was released in a time where all the major blockbusters have been and will be released. Bearing in mind it's gone up against one of the most successful Marvel films much anticipated sequel which is still taking in massive amounts of cash, on top of AC being rated 18/R, 36m is not too shabby at all.

Fox will be pleased as Rated R films and Horror in general very rarely reach number one let alone number one in a month dominated by one of Marvel's cash cows.

Robopadna

Quote from: AntJac on May 21, 2017, 05:33:29 PM
I think some common sense is needed here guys. AC was and is up against and was released in a time where all the major blockbusters have been and will be released. Bearing in mind it's gone up against one of the most successful Marvel films much anticipated sequel which is still taking in massive amounts of cash, on top of AC being rated 18/R, 36m is not too shabby at all.

Fox will be pleased as Rated R films and Horror in general very rarely reach number one let alone number one in a month dominated by one of Marvel's cash cows.

It went up against a marvel movie in its third weekend and barely beat it. AC had no real competition.

Fox is not going to be very pleased with this OW. Plenty of horror movies and r movies open up at number one.

Richman678

Richman678

The take will be lower because there's no 3D. I would also bet the IMAX showings were less.

AntJac

Quote from: Robopadna on May 21, 2017, 05:43:47 PM
Quote from: AntJac on May 21, 2017, 05:33:29 PM

It went up against a marvel movie in its third weekend and barely beat it. AC had no real competition.

Fox is not going to be very pleased with this OW. Plenty of horror movies and r movies open up at number one.

Marvel movies are notorious for getting consistent BO takings for a number of weeks before drifting off. It's why the majority of their films take in obscene amounts.

Spidey3121

Quote from: four eyes on May 21, 2017, 10:39:02 AM
Perhaps i can't calculate but from what i read and understand deadline states Saturday 11:25 PM = estimated $36.1M. SUNDAY hasnt accurred yet nor is it finished and hasn't been calculated. Maybe they wont included thursday nights previews in the weekend total, but if you've read box office mojo before theres many times they dont include Thursday night previews in the total demestic BO, weird aye.

So my understanding is this, Thursday Night 4.2 million , Friday 15.3 million, Saturday 12 million 11:25pm = 34.2 million. They could be screening scheduled after 11:25 Saturday night which obviously would not be included yet and of course SUNDAY, so like I said perhaps im wrong and point out if I am, but how could anyone come  to the conclusion it'll make a total of 36 million by the end of Sunday, that means it'll make 1.8 million all day Sunday ?

Quote from: broken back on May 21, 2017, 04:20:15 PM
36 million for the three day weekend ?
I dont understand ? can someone explain to me how, whoever is out there can proclaim these numbers ? when SUNDAY isn't over yet. As of writting this these are some of america's timezones

Time in Austin Texas 11:10am  Sunday
Time in New York     12:10pm   Sunday
Time in California   9:15am       Sunday
Time in Detroit      12:15pm       Sunday

I would also like to point out Thursday nights numberes are NOT included in the 36 million and that prometheus never had thusday late night showing so if a comparison should be made, include the 4.2 million on thursday before giving up on this films chances of a sequel

Are you the same person?

PS: Prometheus did have Thursday evening showings. I went to one.

Ulm

Ulm

I can see this struggling to get past 85 mil now. Boxoffice Mojo is particularly user friendly when it comes to comparisons of other films opening weekends and how much they go on to earn. So search for 35-40 mil openers. You just have to select the 2017 yearly domestic screen and click on opening weekend at the top.

You can select previous years too. Over 40 would have been great to get to 100m.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Ryan741 on May 21, 2017, 04:41:58 PM
Reading Collider Fox seem kinda pleased with the performance.

lol they're not going to compromise their poker face.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I remember after Fantastic Four was released to a critical lynching and disastrous box office result, Fox just kept on smillin' and saying that a sequel was definitely still on the cards. Then a month or so after the home release it was quietly removed from their release schedule. Can't blame them though, they have to support their product after all.

Quote from: Dino21AvP on May 21, 2017, 05:17:33 PM
I think the foreign and worldwide totals will make it successful though, especially since it had a much lower budget than Prometheus.

Only problem is that it had some massive drop-offs in the majority of foreign markets as well (compared to Prometheus). A massive 80% drop in Australia's opening weekend for example. The Asian markets are looking a bit better though, would be interesting to see how it fares in Japan and China.

MnTd

$36 million is not great but let's see how it goes. I went to PROMETHEUS with a whole group of
friends and I asked many people to go to ALIEN COVENANT with me but many of them could
not make it, had to work, etc. - Not everyone is able to get out opening weekend.
I wish movie companies wern't so dependent on "opening weekend" numbers anyhow.
I'm sure it will do fine overseas, I'm hoping it will do better in America and I'm positive
the bluray/dvd/uhdbd and crappy streaming services will make money.

AlienFanIL17

AlienFanIL17

It feels like we will hopefully get one more movie, if we are lucky, to get us to the original Alien.  I would love if we got the multiple movies that Scott has been talking about.  It just doesn't seem like people, and thus the box office returns, will support that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed