Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 281,039 times)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: gantarat on May 21, 2017, 01:28:04 PM
Fox will make sequel even number not good in box office but not within 14 month because they need time to rethink about sequel.

Probably they find another Director to direct it.

Let's hope not. Scott was the main draw for me.

In the UK I went to two screenings - nine days apart. Cinema was packed to capacity on both occasions. In fact some people in the queue were turned away at the second screening and they booked for the following day instead.

cucuchu

Quote from: Gash on May 21, 2017, 01:46:35 PM
Quote from: gantarat on May 21, 2017, 01:28:04 PM
Fox will make sequel even number not good in box office but not within 14 month because they need time to rethink about sequel.

Probably they find another Director to direct it.

Let's hope not. Scott was the main draw for me.

In the UK I went to two screenings - nine days apart. Cinema was packed to capacity on both occasions. In fact some people in the queue were turned away at the second screening and they booked for the following day instead.

Good to hear friend!

That is what irks me about here in the states and the BO results. The opening night theatre I attended at a cinemark on their XD screen (their version of IMAX) was probably 90% full for the second screening and sold out for the first screening. Yesterday, at 3pm, the theatre was 75% full and people were already lined up for the screening after that when I left. So going by what I observed, the numbers feel like they should of been much higher for BO results.

Still though, with looking at the numbers, are they really only estimating 1.6 million for Sunday? Cause they would just need to do 4 to 5 million (less than half of Saturday) to hit 40 million.

MrRipley

MrRipley

The BO results are in $36 million large drop offs after Friday,looking shaky already.

Spidey3121

Spidey3121

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/21/box-office-alien-covenant-opens-below-alien-vs-predator/#18cd77b45269

Yikes. I guess it's in line with tracking & FOX's own public estimates. Certainly doesn't feel like anything resembling a win however.

I'm scratching my head somewhat at what has people so confused? BO reporting isn't rocket science. The Thursday preview #'s are always included in the Friday "opening day" gross. Weekend estimates always come out approx. 11 AM on Sunday. The bigger the #'s, the bigger the potential alteration once actual #'s come in on Monday.

Quote from: four eyes on May 21, 2017, 10:39:02 AM
So my understanding is this, Thursday Night 4.2 million , Friday 15.3 million, Saturday 12 million 11:25pm = 34.2 million. They could be screening scheduled after 11:25 Saturday night which obviously would not be included yet and of course SUNDAY, so like I said perhaps im wrong and point out if I am, but how could anyone come  to the conclusion it'll make a total of 36 million by the end of Sunday, that means it'll make 1.8 million all day Sunday ?

First off, 4.2 + 15.3 + 12 = 31.5 mil, not 34.2 mil. Secondly: you counted the Thursday cross twice. No one is estimating a 1.8 million Sunday. They're estimating an 8.8 mil Sunday, considering 15.3 + 12 = 27.3

Richman678

Aren't all movies expected to do worse this year???

BishopShouldGo

What? No. Stop making excuses.

Robopadna

Quote from: Richman678 on May 21, 2017, 03:45:25 PM
Aren't all movies expected to do worse this year???

No, not at all.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: bb-15 on May 20, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMGood points and yes I am optimistic myself...
Luckily there is so much going on in the movie that it lends itself well to multiple viewings.

Yes.

Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMI want the next film to appease those with issues with it. Even the Xeno origin can be expanded, where as David merely copied an existing idea, anything....point it, the next movie can still follow the same plot line but manage to fix things.

* Ridley needs to be true to himself imo.
He doesn't over explain things in "Blade Runner", "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
- So, what is the answer to what David said in "Covenant"?
The film theory which explains it is this.
1. David in "Covenant" has delusions of grandeur.
2. David in "Covenant" is a compulsive liar.
* This tells the viewer that whatever David said about the xenomorph origins should not be trusted.

* Scott has put ample evidence in "Covenant" about David's delusions and lies.
Imo there is nothing to fix about whatever David said in the new movie.

;)

Spoiler
There is no indication that David is a compulsive liar, nor is there any good reason to believe he's lying to Oram when he outright states that he created the Alien eggs.
[close]

Edit: spoiler tag added

Scott Conover

World wide the movie has already made $117,800,000. I think we are doing ok. 

cliffhanger

Haven't gotten around to see it unfortunately, it's only available here since 3 days and i want a good seat and the cinema's were completely booked.
Which in itself is interesting.

then again, reading the box office results is rather dramatic.

I must say though, i'm not too influenced by it. I will appreciate a movie based on what i see, not what other poeple think.
But it must be said, excitement rises when you hear box office sales records getting crushed, and at the moment, the box office sales
are disappointing which doesn't really do good for excitement.

cucuchu

Hopefully the WW Box Office can carry the film to a moderate success. I am still confident FOX will let Ridley finish his series with one more film, the question is with what compromises? When will we know the WW results for the weekend?

Robopadna

Quote from: Scott Conover on May 21, 2017, 04:05:43 PM
World wide the movie has already made $117,800,000. I think we are doing ok.

Not really...   this weekend will give a better view on how it's doing.  domestically it's very disappointing if it can't crack 40.

broken back

broken back

36 million for the three day weekend ?
I dont understand ? can someone explain to me how, whoever is out there can proclaim these numbers ? when SUNDAY isn't over yet. As of writting this these are some of america's timezones

Time in Austin Texas 11:10am  Sunday
Time in New York     12:10pm   Sunday
Time in California   9:15am       Sunday
Time in Detroit      12:15pm       Sunday

I would also like to point out Thursday nights numberes are NOT included in the 36 million and that prometheus never had thusday late night showing so if a comparison should be made, include the 4.2 million on thursday before giving up on this films chances of a sequel

fiveways

Quote from: broken back on May 21, 2017, 04:20:15 PM
36 million for the three day weekend ?
I dont understand ? can someone explain to me how, whoever is out there can proclaim these numbers ? when SUNDAY isn't over yet. As of writting this these are some of america's timezones

Time in Austin Texas 11:10am  Sunday
Time in New York     12:10pm   Sunday
Time in California   9:15am       Sunday
Time in Detroit      12:15pm       Sunday

I would also like to point out Thursday nights numberes are NOT included in the 36 million and that prometheus never had thusday late night showing so if a comparison should be made, include the 4.2 million on thursday before giving up on this films chances of a sequel

They do the Thrusday instead of midnight friday shows (which Prometheus in both 2d and 3d had, I went to one of them).

Estimates is what it is based on using advanced ticket sales and using average sunday drop off for opening weeks films that are rated R and grossed that kinda money. 

Also remember Fox only keeps about half that money.  So $36m begins to translate to 18m for fox.  They make less overseas.  Though the huge tax break they got nicely offsets that.

Ryan741

Reading Collider Fox seem kinda pleased with the performance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed