Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 279,059 times)

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 21, 2017, 12:16:47 AM

Quote from: PierreVW on May 21, 2017, 12:12:58 AM
Quote from: bb-15 on May 20, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
* Ridley needs to be true to himself imo.
He doesn't over explain things in "Blade Runner", "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
- So, what is the answer to what David said in "Covenant"?
The film theory which explains it is this.
1. David in "Covenant" has delusions of grandeur.
2. David in "Covenant" is a compulsive liar.
* This tells the viewer that whatever David said about the xenomorph origins should not be trusted.

* Scott has put ample evidence in "Covenant" about David's delusions and lies.
Imo there is nothing to fix about whatever David said in the new movie.

;)

I agree.

It's very interesting that David sees himself as THE GOD and at the same time he forgotten about his favorites books and authors.

Maybe David has Alzeihmer? ???

In a way you're right, but I think it's that his A.I. is starting to have glitches.

Yes. The idea of glitches with a killer AI was brought up in "2001" with HAL.
- "Covenant" gives the viewer an interesting premise; what if a glitchy AI decides to become the evil god of the galaxy?
The glitchy AI has a weapon of mass destruction, the black goo.
And this psychotic AI (for lack of a better term) is trying to create an army of Xenomorph (or xenomorph like) creatures.

What can be done about that?
I'm looking forward to the next Alien sequel to find out.

* And what will help is the low production budget and very good box office numbers (so far).
It's pretty certain that there will be another movie in this series. Yeah!

;)

Protozoid

Wow, I wasn't expecting numbers this low. Its below AvP, even before you adjust for over a decade of inflation. Yikes. I think the next one is going to be an actual B-movie at this rate.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Protozoid on May 21, 2017, 07:56:36 AM
Wow, I wasn't expecting numbers this low. Its below AvP, even before you adjust for over a decade of inflation. Yikes. I think the next one is going to be an actual B-movie at this rate.

There's a questionable lack of thirst for decent Sci-Fi/Horror in America. I wasn't the biggest fan of Life but it deserved to do better than it did, and Alien: Covenant is competently made and well acted, no matter what side of the fence you sit on, but it just hasn't translated.

Prometheus scored a B, Life scored a C+ and Covenant scored a B among audiences. All middling scores and left eating the dust of audience reaction to the likes of Power Rangers and Transformers whcih scored A's.

Hats off to 20th Century Fox for backing this one all the way though. It's received the most lavish advertisement of an any Alien movie. Hopefully they recoup some money internationally, hope is not lost there.

juxtapose

i would definately not call it a flop just yet . .36 mil is ok, but not great. .i knew it was'nt going to do major business in the us. .it openened in over 50 other territory's this weekend so lets see how it faired globally after the weekend. .plus their is still china and japan to come. . .so their is still hope i think

SuicideDoors

Flop may have been an overreaction on my part. It'll probably still scrape breaking even worldwide. But those American numbers are severely disappointing.

Noah

It's just an estimated number,even if I doubt it will be much different. It can still go higher,but nothing more than 37/38M. In any case,it's ok. It's a R-rated sci-fi with a 97M budget (with the Australian funds). It's fine. Everyone knew that it was never going  to do great money in the US.  It doesn't need the same Prometheus numbers to be profitable.

Gash

I've always felt that Scott films got a better reaction outside of the US anyway.

four eyes

four eyes

Perhaps i can't calculate but from what i read and understand deadline states Saturday 11:25 PM = estimated $36.1M. SUNDAY hasnt accurred yet nor is it finished and hasn't been calculated. Maybe they wont included thursday nights previews in the weekend total, but if you've read box office mojo before theres many times they dont include Thursday night previews in the total demestic BO, weird aye.

So my understanding is this, Thursday Night 4.2 million , Friday 15.3 million, Saturday 12 million 11:25pm = 34.2 million. They could be screening scheduled after 11:25 Saturday night which obviously would not be included yet and of course SUNDAY, so like I said perhaps im wrong and point out if I am, but how could anyone come  to the conclusion it'll make a total of 36 million by the end of Sunday, that means it'll make 1.8 million all day Sunday ?

cucuchu

cucuchu

Ouch... Disappointing numbers. I hope Sunday sees an upswing cause it will need it to hit in the 40 million range. I was optimistic because I happen to like Covenant, now I am concerned. If it struggles to hit even 36 million this weekend, how is it going to fair in the coming weeks?

Quote from: four eyes on May 21, 2017, 10:39:02 AM
Perhaps i can't calculate but from what i read and understand deadline states Saturday 11:25 PM = estimated $36.1M. SUNDAY hasnt accurred yet nor is it finished and hasn't been calculated. Maybe they wont included thursday nights previews in the weekend total, but if you've read box office mojo before theres many times they dont include Thursday night previews in the total demestic BO, weird aye.

So my understanding is this, Thursday Night 4.2 million , Friday 15.3 million, Saturday 12 million 11:25pm = 34.2 million. They could be screening scheduled after 11:25 Saturday night which obviously would not be included yet and of course SUNDAY, so like I said perhaps im wrong and point out if I am, but how could anyone come  to the conclusion it'll make a total of 36 million by the end of Sunday, that means it'll make 1.8 million all day Sunday ?

Good points... I know it will do much better than 1.8 million on Sunday. At least here the theatres are pretty active on Sundays.

Ryan741

I just hope it does well enough for Fox to stick with the franchise.  I had a blast with Covenant and desperately want a sequel.

cucuchu

Quote from: Ryan741 on May 21, 2017, 12:01:31 PM
I just hope it does well enough for Fox to stick with the franchise.  I had a blast with Covenant and desperately want a sequel.

Exactly... Well, we would know within a short amount of time whether Fox will allow Ridley Scott to continue his sequel. He wants to shoot 13 months from now, which means preproduction would be starting later this year, probably around October or so.

Ryan741

Right enough, keeping my fingers and toes crossed. 

gantarat

Fox will make sequel even number not good in box office but not within 14 month because they need time to rethink about sequel.

Probably they find another Director to direct it.

Robopadna

Quote from: juxtapose on May 21, 2017, 08:53:42 AM
i would definately not call it a flop just yet . .36 mil is ok, but not great. .i knew it was'nt going to do major business in the us. .it openened in over 50 other territory's this weekend so lets see how it faired globally after the weekend. .plus their is still china and japan to come. . .so their is still hope i think

36 is very very very low. It's not ok domestically. If it sticks to that number then gotg2 almost beat it in its third week.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed