Acid

Started by Jango1201, Nov 27, 2007, 08:36:06 AM

Author
Acid (Read 1,333 times)

Jango1201

Jango1201

Ok, I dont know if this has been discussed before so if this is a repeat topic i apologize.

As I watched the store showdown clip again, I noticed that the acid blood just looks like its sitting there rather than eating its way through the floor. I thought that this would be a good subject get on being that Colin has been making his way around the forums a lot lately. So whats the deal with this?

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Here's the deal. Acid is really only effective against substances composed entirely, or in some part, or metal. The fact that the alien blood corrodes the stone surfaces in the AVP pyramid is, quite frankly ridiculous. If the floor is made of tile or other substances which are acid resistant there's no reason why it shouldn't just sit there. Quite frankly I think the whole acid-for-blood idea is getting a little stretched in the later movies.

Wolfs Girl

Wolfs Girl

You're forgetting that Alien acid is different to any acid found on Earth, so it would react differently to known acids here.
It is alien acid afterall.

Jango1201

Jango1201

If Alien acid can eat through 3 steel decks and starship hull I think it can eat through what looks to be a wood floor.

ashion

ashion

Its a concret floor. Also as said before acid reacts differently depending on the composition of what ever its sprayed on. Concret generally doesn't react all that much to acid, metal on the other hand does react and melt as has been seen... yeah...

TheAncientEnemy

TheAncientEnemy

We already had this thread.

Acid works on concrete but very slowly. It would not fizz and bubble and melt a hole on contact.

It may be "alien acid" but I would have to assume it's at least similar to the chemical compositions we have here on Earth.

"But the acid melted the rock in AVP!" says some fanboy.

Yes it did but that's because Paul Anderson cares nothing for realism and ony for his own stunted opinion about what looks "totally rad" on screen. He also put spider webs on ruins in Antarctica. That alone should say it all.

BUGZ

BUGZ

We see acid burn through concrete in Aliens towards the end, just before the Queen bursts it's tail through Bishops chest!

Bri 8)

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

If I remember correctly, that was metal. Everything is metal in the future.

BUGZ

BUGZ

Nope! The landing platform is conctrete mate. Watch the film again ;D

Bri ;)

Accaris

Accaris

The acid ate through Hick's flak jacket, which was probably either a plastic composite or ceramic. It could have been metal though I guess.

TheAncientEnemy

TheAncientEnemy

If it went through concrete on the Sulaco (which I don't remember) then it's just a continuity error between the movies... again.

Weasel

Weasel

When you think about the scene with the turrets in Aliens, think of how the entire walkwalk to the guns would be pretty much gone.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Known acids aren't supposed to eat so viciously through even metals, either, but whatever this type is does so with alarming speed.

Bishop identified it as "molecular acid", after studying it. There's room to potentially claim that might have been some sort of euphamism or informal term, for reasons of easy discussion between the group, but even if it's actual acid, there's nothing to say it might not also be somehow interlaced with other chemicals, to create the sort of violent reactions we so often view.

Note how Gedimen and Wren were so enthusiastic about study giving rise to "new alloys", medical discoveries and so on. These particular creatures are obviously way in advance of even their scientific thinking, let alone that of our own present time.

I'd imagine they're the biological version of the Terminator microchip and arm given to Cyberdyne: "It took us in new directions - things we would've never..." :)

Quote from: Weasel on Nov 27, 2007, 06:26:31 PM
When you think about the scene with the turrets in Aliens, think of how the entire walkwalk to the guns would be pretty much gone.

We already see that actual exploded aliens (or at the very least, a single heavily injured one) did melt through massive sections of the colony.

Sheriff Eddie Morales

Sheriff Eddie Morales

Quote from: The Necronoir on Nov 27, 2007, 08:50:35 AM
Here's the deal. Acid is really only effective against substances composed entirely, or in some part, or metal. The fact that the alien blood corrodes the stone surfaces in the AVP pyramid is, quite frankly ridiculous. If the floor is made of tile or other substances which are acid resistant there's no reason why it shouldn't just sit there. Quite frankly I think the whole acid-for-blood idea is getting a little stretched in the later movies.

I agree. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed