Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 389,329 times)

Corporal Hicks

QuoteBack to traditional today. I HAD to reference something from the original Alien, so I drew the weeping egg. I always loved the fact that they weeped and it's something that often gets overlooked. This one hung from the ceiling of the lab with it's very special counterpart - but I'll explain that one another time...

https://www.facebook.com/hallett.dane/photos/a.1443279082389175.1073741840.801247429925680/1459948834055533/?type=3&theater

BonesawT101

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

QuoteThese were the first (finalists of) variations/versions of the floating organic lights. I wanted a slight ambiguity in the forms where like the proto-facehugger designs, it's a bit murky whether they're animal vegetable or mineral. Which mirrors Giger's bio/mechanical mix. They were a lot of fun. Pencil, charcoal and Photoshop.

QuoteMore corpse/stinking lillies.

QuoteBecause we were wallpapering the sets with artwork and had a lot less than David's ten years to do it, the mighty Dane Hallett and I had to get creative and 'Frankenstein' work we'd already done into 'new' art, like this. Dane actually did the original trilobite (no no, the regular kind) art. These are my Giger-ed up variations. Thank God for Photoshop and printing onto delicate Japanese paper stocks! 😄 Charcoal, Photoshop.

QuoteMore-a flora studies! "Naturally occurring latex and silks for restraint and restriction."

Quote'Corpse lillies' - but of course they'd have 'em! About the first thing I asked on the first day was that while I totally get the aesthetic of the city referencing great civilisations/ancient cultures (and obviously goes hand in hand with the Engineers looking like classical statues), I wanted to know why/how the shift happened to the Giger/biomechanical look. I never did get an answer so I invented one for my backstory/inserted it into my/David's scientific notes, here as it applies to flora and fauna studies. From the right hand side: "It also occurs to me to investigate the possibility that the seemingly divergent shift from previously monolithic and simple forms of classic Engineer architecture to the post-industrial aesthetic especially apparent in their interplanetary vehicles and spacesuits are actually the result of a congruent return to even older and natural forms. Possibly the result of both an aesthetic epiphany and the technological means to achieve it. Culminating in a relatively sudden shift combining anthropomorphism, zoomorphism, and phylotomorphic traits. Not to mention the vascularity inherent in mechanically or technologically based branching systems and architectural structures, so that an all-encompassing type of 'bio-mechanical' view emerged."

QuoteMore Engineer rough ideas/studies/dissections/vivisection etc. including an initial 'rebreathing' torture idea that lead to the proto facehugger drawing (which people took SO literally! 😄). Anyway, pencil, charcoal, ink, Photoshop.

QuoteDetail of early version of the foetus piece. As I was saying in the beauchene one, David is exploring on his way to creating the 'perfect' xeno. And after extending the brainpan laterally (it only needs to turn its head to widen the scan), the dome might form a long sensory array or use different bandwidths for its vision. I thought it might be cool and logical if the xeno 'sees' thermally like a snake. So beyond the obvious dragon metaphors and beasts being afraid of fire, that a flamethrower will temporarily blind it. So both things are true. As shown here with radiating waves and so on. I know fans are astoundingly literal these days (and to be fair the way the films have gone does encourage that) but it doesn't matter if no-one notices - the backstory I make is primarily to lend a consistency in approach. Which is different to the drawings contradicting each other intentionally. I wanted to continue David's unreliable narrator idea into the work. Are these actually his works or his unhinged thoughts? Anyway like I say it leads to imagery that might not have happened otherwise. I hope. 😝. Pencil on Japanese paper.

QuoteRough for an engineer study. Since David devastated the Engineer world the lights and tech have been turned off, and besides as we know he has the romantic/egocentric notion of working in a 'classical' style. So using more naturally occurring tools, spartan implements and generally old fashioned methods. I thought one of these would be to use the particularly aggressive local flora and fauna to his advantage. Here procuring local worms/leeches to clean the corpse/devout the viscera as seen in the earlier skull drawing. Maybe submerged in a giant plant/bath. Pencil, Charcoal, Photoshop

QuoteI thought David would investigate congenital and extreme abnormalities maybe in pursuit of finding more elastic/hardy qualities for the xeno (although that skull middle bottom is a normal baby skull - those critters are weird!). For instance looking at existing conditions like hydrocephalus in babies/foetuses in terms of rapid structural growth/expansion maybe to allow for a bigger brainpan for example or an 'ideal' shape etc. Also as in the old days using the beauchene process where the skull was filled with rice and then saturated so it swelled and split the bone along the natural faultlines. Attributed to the French but may have actually come from Leonardo. Of course the inference is that it the Gigerish horror could have happened in a very unnatural way... Sorry dunno where the proper scan is right now! Pencil, nibs/Indian ink, watercolour.

A f**k tonne more from Matt Hatton! Loads more behind-the-scene snaps on his IG as well. https://www.instagram.com/matthatt0n/

QuoteWas taking pics for reference purposes and the milky translucency of the dome here, but really pleased I got the dude picking his nose...

Corporal Hicks

QuoteHere's a pretty straight forward study of a malformed, Giger'esque fetus. I do like it, but it's made even more special by the fact that awesome film maker and friend, Dominic Hailstone took this sketch as inspiration for a model he sculpted for the table in Davids Lab. If I had all my gear with me I'd share a picture of it, but trust me - its better than the drawing.

https://www.facebook.com/hallett.dane/photos/a.1443279082389175.1073741840.801247429925680/1461052707278479/?type=3&theater

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Shit loads of more artwork from Jeremy Love's website - http://jeremylove.com/?portfolio=coming-soon

Dane has shared some new concepts of mirrors and canvas. An interesting note from one of them - https://www.facebook.com/hallett.dane/photos/a.1443279082389175.1073741840.801247429925680/1462029593847457/?type=3&theater

QuoteOriginally, water was to be running down some sections of the walls in Davids living quarters Through one 'waterfall' we would see a 'polished obsidian mirror', in which David could be seen (naked from memory) brushing his teeth. This was to reveal the 'repair' seam around his neck, implying that Shaw had reattached his severed head. This was before it was decided that the prologue would cover that beat and as such, it was cut.

Steve Messing - https://www.instagram.com/p/BVDPqQwBP7j/

Corporal Hicks

QuoteTiny wormy dude I modelled for a series of matte paintings for the Covenant marketing campaign. Dane and I did one set each then one together! Gigeresque but macro-sized.

QuoteLook at my shirt - I got some Predator in there! Bwahaha!!! Alien vs Predator!!! Also sculpted those ampule racks back there (copy of Prommy one). My first 3d print! Photo by Mark Rogers.

D88M

thanks, i love that art, i was looking at it last night, some beatifully fu**ed up stuff in there

426Buddy

Yeah ive already said it a few times, the concept art for this film is just wonderful. Im in heaven everytime i browse this thread.

Sabres21768

Is that Shaw's feet in the pic above?

Rabbit2100

Apparently there are some talks about a 'Davids Diary' -esque cook collecting all of the sketches. Hopefully sometime soon!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Sabres21768

FXGUIDE effects article.
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet.

A lot of great effects shots and info.

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/alien-covenant-by-land-and-air/

Ingwar

Quote from: Rabbit2100 on Jun 10, 2017, 01:20:49 AM
Apparently there are some talks about a 'Davids Diary' -esque cook collecting all of the sketches. Hopefully sometime soon!

Any source?

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jun 10, 2017, 09:03:20 AM
FXGUIDE effects article.
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet.

A lot of great effects shots and info.

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/alien-covenant-by-land-and-air/

Hm. According to that article "...the planet in the script is 1.5 times the size of Earth." Interesting.

bobby brown

Wy would anatomical waxworks be a suiting inspiration for the xenomorph?  :-\
And just drop the f*cking goblin shark already Ridley. It's not cool.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed