Point Defense, New Aliens: Fireteam Elite Game-Mode, Drops As Part of Season 2 Update!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 30, 2021, 06:10:17 PM

Author
Point Defense, New Aliens: Fireteam Elite Game-Mode, Drops As Part of Season 2 Update! (Read 15,141 times)

Corporal Hicks

As 2021 draws to an end, Cold Iron Studios is dropping Season 2 of Aliens: Fireteam Elite on December 14th. Season 1’s major content was the Phalanx-class. For Season 2, it’s a new game-mode called Point Defense, dropping December 14th!

This fast-paced alternative to Horde Mode will challenge players in a new survival-based defensive match where your fireteam must protect, repair, and hold 3 different strategic points through multiple attack waves from the xenomorph hive. Players may buy temporary consumables to even the odds by utilizing Fabrication Points earned during the mode and can unlock up to 20 new rewards by completing the mode at various difficulties.

Point Defense, New Aliens: Fireteam Elite Game-Mode, Drops As Part of Season 2 Update!

As with the Season 1 update in September, Season 2 also comes with new challenge cards, and new weapons – just in from Hypderdyne! – attachments, and cosmetics – including a very festive Santa hat – that are unlockable from either the store, or as Point Defense rewards. A new Lifetime Stats feature will also be included in the new free content update.

In addition to the free content upgrade, the second part of the Endeavour Pass will also be available alongside the Season 2 update. The Endeavour Pass is a paid-for Season Pass that includes cosmetic items. Season One’s Wey-Yu Armoury was (obviously) largely Weyland-Yutani inspired, introducing an Alien Dog Catcher/Commando-like outfit. Season 2 takes us back to Alien with The Nostromo Salvage Pack!

Emerging from a 57-year hypersleep, this pack includes over 20 exclusive items, including two Nostromo-themed class kit skin designs, eight weapon colors, four decals, four head accessories, four emotes, and more!

The Nostromo Salvage Pack is also available for purchase separate from the Endeavour Pass – as is the Wey-Yu Armoury – for $9.99. The Season 2 update is currently scheduled to release on December 14th.

In addition to Season 1 and 2, a further 2 Seasons are expected in the second and third quarters of 2022. Season 3 will bring in another new class and Season 4 another mode. Both will also introduce new features, new weapons, perks, attachments, cosmetics and challenge modes.

And for those PC and Xbox gamers who haven’t tried the game yet, Aliens: Fireteam Elite will also be available on Game Pass on the 14th when the new Season drops!

Coming December 14, alongside the new Season 2: Point Defense update, the standard edition of Aliens: Fireteam Elite will be available with Xbox Game Pass on both Xbox and Windows 10! This also means cross play will be available between all Xbox and PC players who install via the Microsoft Store version of the game.

We’re still awaiting official announcement about any new story content, however during the October Q&A with Cold Iron’s developers the possibility was teased when asked about inclusion of Colonial Marine vehicles in future content.

Those vehicle moments were great in the Aliens film, it's in my mind when thinking about future campaign missions.

Make sure to keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest intel on Aliens: Fireteam! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Update 02/12/21 – Cold Iron Studios has updated the official Aliens: Fireteam Elite website announcing Season 2 with some more specific details on what’s in store for us with the upcoming update, and details of the new Hyperdyne weaponry!

"We’re seeing an increase in xeno activity at the LV-895 ruins. Swarms are drawn by three Engineer devices. When they activate, xenos attack them. We believe those Engineer “Objects” stabilize the ground beneath the ruins. The moon is now entering a period of geologic instability – if we don’t keep them running, the ruins will collapse." – Cpl Savane

Challenge your Fireteam with a new survival-based defensive game mode where you must protect, repair, and hold 3 strategic points through attack waves from the xenomorph threat. Use Fabrication Points earned during each wave to buy temporary Consumables and help your team survive the next attack. As you succeed at various difficulty levels, you'll unlock all 13 new attachments, the "Come at me" "Noodle Arms" and "Cower" emotes, the ferocious Dragon decal in all 3 colors (Vermillion, Azure, and White), and the spine-chilling Exoskeletal Laminate colorway.

• Rifle: EVI-87 Zvezda Plasma Rifle – While still considered experimental outside the UPP, Hyperdyne has eagerly pushed export sales to corner a new market early. The fastest firing Automatic Rifle on the market currently, the plasma rounds provide great accuracy and minimal recoil, albeit with lower stopping power, especially at range.
  • Heavy: Microburst – While “small area” RPGs and grenades have become common in modern weaponry, Hyperdyne has pushed further into a rapid fire, very condensed explosive, allowing users to blanket an area with powerful anti-personnel explosions with minimal collateral damage.
  • CQW: PPZ-49 Vol – The Vol features a closed-bolt and uses a gasless system, providing more accurate grouping in sustained fire. Coupled with the large magazine, the PPZ-49 edges close to Automatic Rifle territory while still being compact.
  • Hand Gun: Frontier Revolver – When Hyperdyne decided to make a gun designed for explorers and miners, they went with a more traditional revolver format that was easier to maintain. The massive punch more than made up for the kick and single chamber reload, making these very common in the outer rim.

Cold Iron will also be hosting another Q&A session on their Discord on the 3rd of December at 12pm PDT!

Voodoo Magic

Here it is!

With the next drop not until April / May/ June, this is the make or break content that needs to repair & sustain a playerbase. This alternative to Horde Mode survival-based defensive match.

Fingers and toes crossed that it's super good! 🤞

P1NK8CIDBOOTS

I feel like this is definitely coming at a time when this game needs it! I love me some Fireteam but truthfully I've not been on it for about a month now - definitely excited to try out the new game mode!

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

The Microsoft Store? People buy games on there? OMG, well I guess if they are so inclined they should be able to match make with Xbox users.
  But that buggers me since they are leaving Steam users in the dust.

Looking forward to this "Lifeteam Stats" thing. and from what I can assume from the screenshot, looks like the Point Defense game mode is taking place outside!

Also take a look at the roadmap screenshot, that is some narly engineer thing with glowing stuff!

RidgeTop

Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 30, 2021, 08:06:15 PM
The Microsoft Store? People buy games on there? OMG, well I guess if they are so inclined they should be able to match make with Xbox users. But that buggers me since they are leaving Steam users in the dust.

The Microsoft Store isn't too big for PC digital game purchases but Xbox Game Pass is getting larger on PC and that's where the installs are sourced from.

First type of cross-play of any kind we've seen with the game, so hopefully they'll eventually implement it across all platforms.

Update looks good, fortification defense should make things more interesting. And more cosmetics and emotes are always fun.

I imagine the next update will be in April and they'll ride the Alien Day hype.

Crazy Rich

If it's just one map like in Horde Mode it'll be an easy pass.

acrediblesource

From one of the moderators on their discord channel: leak....

Hemi

1 map is confirmed by CI. My steam review is about to change. Shame.

windebieste

They're using UE4, which means as a dev team, they should be able to churn them out at about 1 per month with team members developing multiple maps at varying stages of completion ranging from whitebox testing to release candidate ready.

-Windebieste.

Xhan

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 01, 2021, 08:33:40 AM
They're using UE4, which means as a dev team, they should be able to churn them out at about 1 per month with team members developing multiple maps at varying stages of completion ranging from whitebox testing to release candidate ready.

-Windebieste.

As a dev team MadMind turned out a 20 hour game in two and half years with four times the environmental assets. As a dev team ColdIron used 50 to turn out six hours of content in almost 5 years.

Quote from: acrediblesource on Dec 01, 2021, 01:49:21 AM
From one of the moderators on their discord channel: leak....

This is literally just to track people using mods.

Hemi

I converted ACM's assets and build an "Operations" map in Killing Floor 2 in a weeks time...

Quote"Matz - Cold Iron — Yesterday at 10:45 PM
i appreciate you wanting more, and wish we could provide content at a very fast pace. it's not realistic, though. while our game is doing very well for what we did and our team size, we aren't a live service game. we don't have anywhere near the team size to put out content at that speed, let alone get through IP approvals."

I'm not buying it... 50 people studio should be able to do much more then this.

Buttz

How is this different or new? Sounds like the same dull gameplay only this time you have to hold a zone (stand in one place)

Hemi

Quote from: Buttz on Dec 01, 2021, 02:22:25 PM
How is this different or new? Sounds like the same dull gameplay only this time you have to hold a zone (stand in one place)

Because we have 1 new map! It's like SUPER different!!! :D

Oh wait... it's not. 1 Bloody map... it's almost an insult to the people buying the deluxe edition.

Xhan

Quote from: RidgeTop on Nov 30, 2021, 08:35:26 PM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 30, 2021, 08:06:15 PM
The Microsoft Store? People buy games on there? OMG, well I guess if they are so inclined they should be able to match make with Xbox users. But that buggers me since they are leaving Steam users in the dust.

The Microsoft Store isn't too big for PC digital game purchases but Xbox Game Pass is getting larger on PC and that's where the installs are sourced from.

Gamepass is the reason Deathloop and Back 4 Blood turned a profit at all and unless you're using a very "specific" version of windows, it's built right into the OS. Larger than you're assuming it is.

The more salient issue is this is splitting the PC playerbase, which is already down to 250 active accounts a day.

Corporal Hicks

Cold Iron Studios has updated the official Aliens: Fireteam Elite website announcing Season 2 with some more specific details on what's in store for us with the upcoming update, and details of the new Hyperdyne weaponry!

https://www.aliensfireteamelite.com/en/community/afe-season-2/

Quote"We're seeing an increase in xeno activity at the LV-895 ruins. Swarms are drawn by three Engineer devices. When they activate, xenos attack them. We believe those Engineer "Objects" stabilize the ground beneath the ruins. The moon is now entering a period of geologic instability – if we don't keep them running, the ruins will collapse." – Cpl Savane

Challenge your Fireteam with a new survival-based defensive game mode where you must protect, repair, and hold 3 strategic points through attack waves from the xenomorph threat. Use Fabrication Points earned during each wave to buy temporary Consumables and help your team survive the next attack. As you succeed at various difficulty levels, you'll unlock all 13 new attachments, the "Come at me" "Noodle Arms" and "Cower" emotes, the ferocious Dragon decal in all 3 colors (Vermillion, Azure, and White), and the spine-chilling Exoskeletal Laminate colorway.

QuoteWith Season 2 we will be introducing 4 new weapons, one for each weapon type.

Rifle: EVI-87 Zvezda Plasma Rifle - While still considered experimental outside the UPP, Hyperdyne has eagerly pushed export sales to corner a new market early. The fastest firing Automatic Rifle on the market currently, the plasma rounds provide great accuracy and minimal recoil, albeit with lower stopping power, especially at range.
    Heavy: Microburst - While "small area" RPGs and grenades have become common in modern weaponry, Hyperdyne has pushed further into a rapid fire, very condensed explosive, allowing users to blanket an area with powerful anti-personnel explosions with minimal collateral damage.
    CQW: PPZ-49 Vol - The Vol features a closed-bolt and uses a gasless system, providing more accurate grouping in sustained fire. Coupled with the large magazine, the PPZ-49 edges close to Automatic Rifle territory while still being compact.
    Hand Gun: Frontier Revolver - When Hyperdyne decided to make a gun designed for explorers and miners, they went with a more traditional revolver format that was easier to maintain. The massive punch more than made up for the kick and single chamber reload, making these very common in the outer rim.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed