Why does no one care about the human characters?

Started by KillingJoke, Sep 07, 2007, 01:40:42 AM

Author
Why does no one care about the human characters? (Read 31,551 times)

Major Alan Schaefer

well off subject but true

DEATHGRIND

I'd say about 99% (or even more) of all characters in all movies are human.  Predators and Xenomorphs are very different and unique as far as appearance, strength, abilities, etc.  We want something different.  Nuff said.

Bishop2

Quote from: CelticP on Sep 07, 2007, 02:18:56 AM
Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 07, 2007, 02:15:37 AM
Quote from: CelticP on Sep 07, 2007, 01:46:37 AM
Let me just say the name...

Aliens Vs. Predator. Thats what we're paying for....right?

You can't really root for, or care about, a couple of alien monsters that kill the shit out of people.  So personally, yeah, I'm paying to see Aliens and Predators fight.  But it's all useless and stupid if I don't care about the humans.
Uh...yes I can.

Quote from: CelticP on Sep 07, 2007, 02:18:56 AM
Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 07, 2007, 02:15:37 AM
Quote from: CelticP on Sep 07, 2007, 01:46:37 AM
Let me just say the name...

Aliens Vs. Predator. Thats what we're paying for....right?

You can't really root for, or care about, a couple of alien monsters that kill the shit out of people.  So personally, yeah, I'm paying to see Aliens and Predators fight.  But it's all useless and stupid if I don't care about the humans.
Uh...yes I can.

Have fun watching a movie about a couple of monsters who don't talk just pounding on each other for 90 minutes or more, then. 

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 07, 2007, 02:23:52 AM
Have fun watching a movie about a couple of monsters who don't talk just pounding on each other for 90 minutes or more, then. 

I could do that, actually. Besides, we know that isn't going to happen.

Pvt. Hicks

One thing that's great about each past movie besides AvP is that the characters are AMAZING. AvP 2 will have some pretty good characters...

Bishop2

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Sep 07, 2007, 02:25:22 AM
Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 07, 2007, 02:23:52 AM

I could do that, actually. Besides, we know that isn't going to happen.

Yeah, obviously not.  I'm just flabbergasted that anyone would want it.  That sounds like the most boring film in the history of the world to me.  It would be entertaining for about 6-7 minutes tops.

CelticP

Ok, i'll do that. .

SM

QuoteBut with AvP and AvP 2 it seems like the humans are just targets for the creatures.

That's because they are.

And to a large extent the same can be said for all the other films in the franchise.  However we had the class of Weaver to carry the human side of things as well as Arnie to a lesser extent.

AvP had nowt, and I fear AvP2 will go the same way.

The Chibi Kiriyama

I would love great characterization, but I resigned myself long ago to the fact that I will never see a FOX film that has good characterization again. The same goes for a silent film; people would just complain that it's boring even if you put action in it up the wazoo. Sadly, audiences today go to the movie theater to say that they did rather than out of genuine interest or the desire to see truly well-made cinematic experiences.

iceman

the directors should have made a movie with no human presence...the hosts for the aliens could have been another alien lifeform....then you would have just aliens and predators on the screen..

SM

Yeah that'd pack em in....  ::)

Bishop2

Quote from: iceman on Sep 07, 2007, 02:57:23 AM
the directors should have made a movie with no human presence...the hosts for the aliens could have been another alien lifeform....then you would have just aliens and predators on the screen..

You know what?  You're right.  I'm coming around on this.  I think maybe they should've.  It would've been hilarious. 

When the fans are sitting there after an hour of Aliens and Predators stalking each other in the dark, with no dialogue and no characterization and no plot whatsoever, and they're getting ready to kill themselves from apathy, they could flash a giant message on the screen: "Didn't like the first one, huh?  HOW ABOUT THIS SHIT?"

The Chibi Kiriyama

What I always liked about the video games was the feeling that the Colonial Marines had just as much a story to tell as the titular monsters. So while a human-less approach might work for an Alien 5, an AVP story deserves at least some human involvement.

Bishop2

Quote from: The Chibi Kiriyama on Sep 07, 2007, 03:02:22 AM
What I always liked about the video games was the feeling that the Colonial Marines had just as much a story to tell as the titular monsters. So while a human-less approach might work for an Alien 5, an AVP story deserves at least some human involvement.

A humanless Alien 5?  That seems even less logical than a humanless AVP.  How do you picture that working?

CelticP

No one is saying we should have NO humans...were just saying we dont CARE about them. They help, but in the end, their fodder. Or atleast in this series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed