Ask Jeff VanderMeer

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 16, 2008, 09:02:44 AM

Author
Ask Jeff VanderMeer (Read 43,823 times)

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Ok. just finished you book jeff and i gotta say, definitely the best one out of all the dark horse alien/predator novels in my opinion. I enjoyed it greatly. I read Aliens: NO EXIT (which i thought was utter trash) and wasn't sure about south china sea at first, but damn i was wrong.

loved Pol Pot, loved how you wrote the predator reminiscing about past hunts on alien worlds,
and loved how you made me genuinely care for the characters. From what I've read from your interview and you posts, i think you could make a damn fine aliens novel.

One thing that got me curious was when the predator was thinking about a prey species that was a "giant living spaceship" or something like that. was there any backstory you had in your head about this certain life form? It kinda stuck out for me in the novel.

Rblee2

Rblee2

Jeff,

Just got done reading South China Sea.  I must say that this was my first Predator novel and I didn't know quite what to expect.  However, I was blown away at how really good this book was.  I hope to see more Predator novels from you in the future.

Just a couple of questions I was hoping you could give a bit more detail on.

1) Did you have a name in mind for this Predator?  Some of the more recent movies have stuck a name to their Predators (i.e. Wolf, Scar, Broken Tusk, etc...).  It just helps give them a bit more personality I think.

2) Maybe I just missed this as I was reading through, but was their any back story for Onyx?  How did this guy know so much about the Predators?  Was it simply b/c he was a government agent or did you simply want to keep his back story unrevealed?

3) Any general ideas for a future Predator novel?  If so would you keep the battleground on earth or take it elsewhere in space?

Thanks again for the great read.  Looking forward to more from you down the road.
Russ

dachande89

dachande89

Oh that reminds me, the reference to onyx, the cigars, was he supposed to be Dutch? Cause I thought you were inferring that he may have been Dutch since he had so much knowledge on Predators.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Yeah I pretty much concluded that Onyx was Dutch.

The Lizard King

The Lizard King

Hello mr. Vandermeer, I just wanted to say that south china sea was a good read and  are you considering another book in the alien or predator series?

Cyraxcog117

Cyraxcog117

Hi Jeff I'm still reading the book it's pritty good so far but it took me a while to start liking the charecters.  I can't wait to finish it and you should also do some more pred books

JeffVanderMeer

JeffVanderMeer

Hey--I'm really sorry for not being on here for so long. Tons of deadlines. To answer a few things, heh, yeah, I did always think of Onyx as being Dutch, which is a huge cheat of course and DH should shoot me for it. ;)

I just thought of him as the most bad-ass Predator ever, and he wasn't named in the movies, so I took that as my guide.

I might do a Aliens novel.

I didn't have any more backstory on the creature ship--just thought it was a cool image.

Thanks re Pol Pot. I had so much fun writing the croc.

Re it being slow to get into--I'm a firm believer in setting the scene. And since the island is the whole setting, it does take a little time to ramp up and get everything in place. My hope is readers will have the patience since then everything that happens after you can really *see* where it's taking place in relation to every other part of the island.

Thanks for the comments. Glad you liked it.

Jeff

dachande89

dachande89

I felt that Dutch should have been revived in a sequel. He was far too great a character, and he could have definitly have another stab at the Preds. I also enjoyed concrete jungle which explored Dutch's brother hoping to find out why Dutch disappeared after his last mission (predator). Dutch is definitly someone I would enjoy to see in another predator fight.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Quote from: JeffVanderMeer on Jan 28, 2009, 03:46:09 AM

I might do a Aliens novel.

hell yeah

Predboy

Predboy

Anyone know any stores where you can find the novel?

Cyraxcog117

Cyraxcog117

Quote from: Predboy on Jan 28, 2009, 05:09:46 PM

Books a million, I saw the book there but I got mine off of amazon.com

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: Predboy on Jan 28, 2009, 05:09:46 PM

Barnes and Noble

Borders

--_____--

JeffVanderMeer

JeffVanderMeer

It seems to be stocked pretty well in the chain stores. I appreciate you buying it. It seems to be selling well, but every bit helps. I'd really love to be able to do an Aliens novel. I think I mentioned I've got a really cool deep space idea set on a half-abandoned generation ship and involving the space jockey peoples.

Jeff

dachande89

dachande89

Spunds cool, and if you write anything else in the AVP universe Jeff, I am definitly buying it. Cause your book was just that good.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: JeffVanderMeer on Jan 31, 2009, 12:45:39 AM
It seems to be stocked pretty well in the chain stores. I appreciate you buying it. It seems to be selling well, but every bit helps. I'd really love to be able to do an Aliens novel. I think I mentioned I've got a really cool deep space idea set on a half-abandoned generation ship and involving the space jockey peoples.

Jeff

Do you know if they've re-negotiated the license then?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed