ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 150,950 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: The Alien Predator on May 12, 2016, 12:14:10 AM
Quote from: 420Buddy on May 11, 2016, 11:44:55 PM
Well yeah its just my opinion. I just think the way they included Ripley and Ash is so forced and feels absurd and lame.

Other than that the story has been okay, the description of humanoid aliens with dog heads feels pretty goofy too.

But hey to each their own, I'll try and wait until I've finished it to pass final judgement.

I wouldn't really say humanoid, they got four legs and two arms and are really super tall.

Ah I was misremembering, yeah that's not so bad.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 420Buddy on May 11, 2016, 11:44:55 PMI just think the way they included Ripley and Ash is so forced and feels absurd and lame.

This was my big issue with it. I quite liked the original stuff, but awkwardly working Ripley into it almost killed it for me. I could see the mind-wipe finale coming a mile off and was groaning pretty hard. It's a shame because if Fox hadn't have insisted on that - maybe just include Ash in some antagonistic way without Ripley - it could've been a lot better. The whole novel trilogy was like that - great ideas often spoiled by dumb ones.

Quote from: 420Buddy on May 11, 2016, 11:44:55 PMOther than that the story has been okay, the description of humanoid aliens with dog heads feels pretty goofy too.

Ah yes, the poochoids. I completely forgot about them!

Corporal Hicks

XenoZipper

Seems someone on youtube has uploaded the radio drama in 2 parts (wasn't me). Not sure how long it will last before being removed but I'm happy to finally get to hear it at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keqTXsRsuJM

Engineer

Wow! I just headed over to YouTube and yep! This whole audiobook has been uploaded! I bet it'll be taken down pretty quick too, but what I'm surprised about is it looks like it's been up for 2 weeks already! Based on when some of the comments were posted. I'm surprised it's still up!

I hope it gets taken down soon. If this impacts the sales, it'll be less likely that more audio dramas will follow! :-(

XenoZipper

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 04, 2016, 07:16:50 PM
Wow! I just headed over to YouTube and yep! This whole audiobook has been uploaded! I bet it'll be taken down pretty quick too, but what I'm surprised about is it looks like it's been up for 2 weeks already! Based on when some of the comments were posted. I'm surprised it's still up!

I hope it gets taken down soon. If this impacts the sales, it'll be less likely that more audio dramas will follow! :-(

That's what I'm thinking too. There was a lot more hate towards the uploader on part 2 comments & even the uploader himself thinking of removing it. I'm surprised its up too. I mean I'm happy to finally get to hear it but not at the expense of future ones not being made. Good ol' internet, the best love/hate story :P

Engineer

I understand the feeling.

But I think you'll like this enough to justify buying it so you'll have it forever! Eventually...
:-)
It's the more casual listeners I'm more worried about.

XenoZipper

Oh yea that's the plan for sure. Just from the 10 minutes of it I've listened to I already dig it enough to buy a copy when I have some extra cash. I agree though, the casual listeners can certainly kill it for the rest of us.

Engineer

That actress really does sound indistinguishable from sigorney at times, right? That and the sound effects from alien isolation where probably the two things I appreciated most about the drama (aside from the story itself, that is). :-)

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

100% agree! The opening monologue going right into the end recording was just gold to my ears. I've yet to hear her show back up in the story. I'm just listening to little bits at a time when I go outside for a smoke.

It's certainly pretty interesting! I've never read the novel so this is all new to me. So far I'm 40mins in. It's a little different than other radio dramas I've listened to but still pretty damn cool. Who does Rutger Hauer play? I'm just not picking up on his voice.

Corporal Hicks

He's Ash.

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 05, 2016, 08:49:59 AM
He's Ash.

Really? I thought he was playing someone else. Doesn't sound like Rutger to me at all as Ash. I'm liking it so far though, I'm a little over 2 hours in. One gripe I have & its super minor but I found Ripley to be swearing too often if that makes sense? Just seemed a lot of F bombs were tossed in just for the sake of having it there but at times didn't really fit With the dialogue. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for swearing, just seemed out of place at times to me. The girl playing Ripley is starting to sound less & less like her to me as I listen but I still think she was bang on in the beginning. Look forward to how the rest of the story plays out.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoZipper on Jun 05, 2016, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 05, 2016, 08:49:59 AM
He's Ash.

Really? I thought he was playing someone else. Doesn't sound like Rutger to me at all as Ash.

He wasn't trying to imitate Holm in this.

XenoZipper

Yea I know. It's explained pretty easily why he doesn't have the original Ash voice. I wasn't listening for an Ian Holm impression, was listening for Rutger's voice which is not that recognizable. I'm a fan of his movies so was looking forward to hearing his voice. I'm just about done listening It's ok but kind of frenetic at days trying to figure out what's going on. I can't help but feel I'm missing details with it being a radio drama but its still good despite the odd cardboard sounding pieces of dialogue. Happy I finally got to hear it. The woman playing Ripley I found kinda started sounding like Ripley & Amanda at times. Certain words definitely sound like Ripley but then other sentences don't at all & sounds more Amanda. Still pretty awesome though.

Engineer

I think it's easier to keep up with it if you listen To bigger chunks at a time. I listened to the whole thing in 3 sessions. My first session was about the first half of the audio drama.

My biggest gripe is the repetitiveness of Ash's updates. But that actually might be a good thing if you listen to the audio drama with more, shorter sessions.

The actress for Ripley was awesome! Those times where she sounds spot on really helps to put you in the scene more. But she's not perfect all the time. Those moments where she sounds less like sigorney remind you that it's not her, but I didn't find it too distracting.

And I loved Ash's portrayal throughout too! He turned out to be a great antagonist for this story!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed