The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 234,048 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: happypred on Dec 31, 2015, 07:24:05 PM
I just thought the whole chapter was clumsily executed. I didn't give two shits when chocolate girl was sucked into space. Zero emotional investment, just glad the chapter ended

See this is my problem with the book.  I was so emotionally uninvested in these characters that I don't even remember chocolate girl.  When you guys mentioned chocolate girl in response to my blah experience with this book I figured I'd just keep reading and eventually discover chocolate girl.  But it looks like she already happened as I vaguely recall a station blowing up.  Bot for the life of me, I can't remember anything about her or if she was a boy or girl even.  Maybe I'm just too distracted these days but I'm really trying to give this book a fair shake.  It seems every time I try to read a page I prefer to put it down to play some Sudoku.  Or maybe its the book...

The Alien Predator

I guess the book's not your fancy then.  :-\

I mean, I'm currently reading a novel and am having such a hard time going through it lol, been at it for months now. While Rage War took me three days to finish and I still remember most of the story like it was yesterday.

Same with South China Sea, finished it in four days. If it's got Predator in it, I must finish it and find out what happens.  ;D

happypred

Way too many underdeveloped characters

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

What do you mean by that?

I thought they were fine. There was a lot of character building on
Spoiler
Lilliya and Isa Palant, it was interesting to see a Synthetic grow throughout the centuries, how she wished to be more human. Those bits with her and the Yautja further helped grow the character, showing how she regretted making certain choices and how she loathed being reminded that she was a robot.

Then Isa Palant, how she is obsessed with the Yautja, how her father told her things during her childhood which helped flesh out the character more.

Johnny Mains was also well fleshed out, how he and his squad are like a family, how one of them was inspired by the Yautja to join the Colonial Marines due to the aggressive combat oriented culture.

Then we have SnowDog, who has a drug addiction and how Gerald Marshal one of the Thirteen is kind of dangling it above her without making the blackmail too obvious.

Then that general of the Marines, who served in the Quaille Wars, who killed with his bare hands at one point.

Or how Gerald Marshal has a divorced wife and how he cares about his children, plus how he is humiliated by his weight etc, there's some subtle character development here and there.
[close]

This novel is far from having underdeveloped characters if you ask me, it just focuses more on the world rather than one character. It had a lot to explain since it's an entirely new era that's being explored, no other stories take place in the late 27th century, so there was lots to explore and flesh out.

I think book two will add more to the current characters while introducing new ones.

If anyone was underdeveloped, it'd be the Yautja to an extent as the author wasn't focusing too much on them to preserve the mystery. But from what we've got, it helped flesh out the race. The few Yautja characters all had their own personality, and were teased rather than developed, we were given scraps of development about the named Yautja.

RakaiThwei

Checked out Tristan Jones' Tumblr...

Apparently, Incursion is one of his research pieces along with a bunch of Alien books... Why a Predator book though?

The Alien Predator

I think he's doing it to get a better view on their inner workings. Novels do tend to go into a lot of detail on things that can be easily missed out in a movie.

I remember first watching the Hannibal movies before reading the books and was astonished to see how much was left out.

So, perhaps there's something that Tristan Jones wants to know that isn't in the films, Rage War is kind of a different type of plot than the usual "Predator hunt on Earth/Random Planet" story

RakaiThwei

If he's doing it for his aliens comic then I'm fine with that. But if he's doing something for the Predators is well, I really wished that he would look at the Perry novels too. Not too keen on Lebbon's Yautja.

The Alien Predator

Maybe he just wanted to research the more recent stuff as that would make sense, there have been lots of different books on the Predator with very different ideas, plus it's recent and cheap, not something like South China Sea which is worth a fortune now, and I mean the "water damaged" version... so yeah, might as well grab the new cheap stuff with up to date information.

Either that or the higher ups just told him to read Incursion for his research.

I'm glad though, I really loved Incursion so this is great news for me.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 02, 2016, 04:22:44 AM
Apparently, Incursion is one of his research pieces along with a bunch of Alien books... Why a Predator book though?

It's not strictly a Predator book per-se.

Quote from: happypred on Jan 01, 2016, 02:01:38 PM

Whilst the book is definitely more about setting up the world and the upcoming books, I think the main characters (who I think will be the main characters) of the trilogy are very well developed.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 04, 2016, 08:39:58 AM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 02, 2016, 04:22:44 AM

It's not strictly a Predator book per-se.

Quote from: happypred on Jan 01, 2016, 02:01:38 PM

Whilst the book is definitely more about setting up the world and the upcoming books, I think the main characters (who I think will be the main characters) of the trilogy are very well developed.

Speaking of main characters.

Do you think
Spoiler
Johnny Mains and the last surviving marine stranded on UMF-12 will die? Xenomorphs were scurrying up to the place in droves, not to mention it was in decaying orbit around the star and literally had less than two days before burning up.

And the ship they found won't budge...

It's looking grim of poor Johnny!
[close]

Ultramorph

Based on the ending,
Spoiler
I don't think we'll be seeing Mains or Lieder alive again.
[close]

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 04, 2016, 10:31:46 PM
Based on the ending,
Spoiler
[close]

Yeah, it's a cold and harsh universe out there!

Corporal Hicks

Based on the ending,
Spoiler
[close]

I can't say I was a massive fan of the VoidLarks. Didn't get into them as much as Isa or Liliya - who I loved.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 05, 2016, 09:01:15 AM
Based on the ending,
Spoiler
[close]

I can't say I was a massive fan of the VoidLarks. Didn't get into them as much as Isa or Liliya - who I loved.

I enjoyed the VoidLarks, but like yourself, I loved Isa and Lilliya the most.

Spoiler
(Now watch as Lebbon kills those two off....  :laugh:)
[close]

happypred

Too many characters...all flatly written.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed