AvPGalaxy Interviews Carlos Huante

Started by ikarop, Nov 11, 2012, 04:02:43 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Interviews Carlos Huante (Read 12,363 times)

ikarop

ikarop

Read on to find an interview with concept and creature artist Carlos Huante, mastermind behind some of the most twisted and beautiful Prometheus designs. In this 2-page interview conducted by forum user ThisBethesdaSea, you will discover some of the secrets that went into making this film as well as discussion on plenty of unused material and ideas. You can click here to read the interview in full.

“I walked into the very first meeting prepared with the Beluga head, which pre-existed the movie. Also some color thumbnails of the moon landscape to get an idea of the vibe of the setting for the creatures and an illustration of this giant whale character which was a direction that Ridley was thinking of at the beginning for the Engineers.”

AvPGalaxy Interviews Carlos Huante

Valaquen

Much thanks to ThisBethesdaSea for the interview, and ikarop for sharing :D

Predaker

Thanks for the interview! That was very interesting to read.

fakk3

fakk3

This concepts look better than this from movie... So sad  :'(

MrSpaceJockey

Nice interview ThisBethesdaSea and Ikarop. :)

Cool to see the Necronom IV fellow again.

T Dog

T Dog

Good interview but the reality of things is crazy.

It seems like the movie was much more promising at one point and then various eyes got taken off various balls and Ridley just had to soldier on so that he could make a movie.

I read elsewhere that Jon Spaihts reckons Lindelof got hired because he was a recognisable name to put on the movie.
I wonder did the same thing happen with Carlos Huantes and Neville Page?

Basically the studio started freaking out for no reason in particular other than Huantes hadn't designed for films before and strongly suggested/insisted that the safer more boring artist and writer be hired just because they have been hired in the past and associated with profitable work.

God imagine Paul Thomas Anderson was told that he had to hire Marc Streinfeld instead of Johnny Greenwood because Marc Streinfeld had a track record of composing for films. Bahahahah.

LarsVader

Quote from: tmjhur on Nov 11, 2012, 06:09:29 PM
Basically the studio started freaking out for no reason in particular other than Huantes hadn't designed for films before and strongly suggested/insisted that the safer more boring artist and writer be hired just because they have been hired in the past and associated with profitable work.
Huante has designed for many films before!

zuzuki

zuzuki

QuoteI predicted that the Engineers could end up looking fat or thick with bellies if they added too much rubber build up for the suit. Then the costume over all that rubber I thought they're going to look fat for sure, which they did. So...There's that.

Hell no, they were perfect. They were muscular at the beginning at the movie and they looked buffed up even with bio mech features. And they had to make the chest part with ribs bulge a little cause the original jockey design had a bulging chest too. And ffs, a xeno with less biomech features and more human traits...hell no

Sexy Poot

Reading this is like reading everything else thats been said that could of been.

It pisses me the frig off.

ThisBethesdaSea

Thank YOU AvPGalaxy for hosting, many any  apologies for the mishap. The last thing i want to do is to piss off the good people who run this site. This is by and large the best Alienverse site around.

J M Prater

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

GREAT interview. Thank you Bethesda and Ikarop!

ikarop

ikarop

I love his responses, Carlos always gives the most honest answers. You don't see that often in the film industry!

Blacklabel

Great interview :)
I love everything that he came up with for the movie. He didnt half ass it. he put body and soul into it.

But... i also like the stuff in the movie.

I hope Ridley brings him back for Prometheus 2. Dude has tons of talent.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 11, 2012, 06:31:38 PM

On IMDB it just seemed like cartoons.

Anyway, he doesn't have the profitable track record of Page. That was my real point. Just suits thinking that this guy will make more money ultimately because he worked on Star Trek.

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: tmjhur on Nov 11, 2012, 08:29:37 PM
Quote from: LarsVader on Nov 11, 2012, 06:31:38 PM

On IMDB it just seemed like cartoons.

Anyway, he doesn't have the profitable track record of Page. That was my real point. Just suits thinking that this guy will make more money ultimately because he worked on Star Trek.

http://www.imdb.es/name/nm0399082/

He has designed for a lot of animated series but also plenty of films. Including Men in Black 1 & 2,Van Helsing, War of the Worlds, Hellraiser 4, Blade Trinity, X-men, Hellboy and even AvP. All very profitable franchises.

I think Page and Huante have a very different approach to creature design. Page's work doesn't seem as obscure as Huante's. Huante's work seems closer to Giger's style IMO.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed