Alien returns to UK cinemas for 40th anniversary celebration screenings

Started by Ingwar, Jan 08, 2019, 09:00:07 PM

Author
Alien returns to UK cinemas for 40th anniversary celebration screenings (Read 19,984 times)

Stitch

Quote from: dave1978 on Feb 26, 2019, 10:32:46 AM
Im off to my local Vue cinema in Ellesmere Port with a couple of mates on Friday,  cant wait.  The chance to see Alien on the big screen is not to be missed.  Really hope they do this with Aliens aswell.
I was at that screening! I booked my tickets way in advance and when they upgraded to the bigger screen our seats got shifted from dead centre to middle right  :(

The Old One

Jaggedpulp

I went to the showing last night in the Vue Leamington.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the sound design really stood out.  Although my wife fell asleep early on but woke up before the chestbuster!!   

Just out of interest how busy where the showings that everyone else has been too?  It was quite  small screen we were in last night but I'd say it was about 75% full  which I thought was pretty good.

The Old One

The Old One

Packed.

A L I E N  -40th Anniversary 4K

Cinema, excellent but weathered.

Corporal Hicks

I went to Prince Charles Theatre in London for their first showing. It was also packed. It looked and sounded great. That said, I didn't notice any massive improvement over the Blu-ray restoration. Maybe it was the projector or I'm not really able to pick up on the difference between 1080 and 4K (though it's not actually 4K if that technical memory is correct?).

Did anyone else pick up on anything?

Also, for anyone who cares, the colour grading when Brett was going to his death in the engineering area was copper for this edition.

Stitch

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2019, 10:39:51 AM(though it's not actually 4K if that technical memory is correct?)
I thought this was a brand new 4K master?

Corporal Hicks

No, I mean 4K not actually being 4K.

SiL

There are different standards of 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels or 4096 x 2160 pixels).

Realistically it's whether the theatre even has a 4K projector. Most digital projections are 2K (2048x1080) in cinemas. 4K adds a slight improvement on those screens, but the reality is that anything over 2K is really much of a muchness in terms of quality due to resolution of display mediums (projectors, screens, etc.), ideal viewing distances, and the ability of the human eye to resolve detail.

The guys at Sony did a test on an IMAX screen years ago and found that you physically couldn't distinguish certain resolutions after a point even on those big screens. Increased resolution is rapidly turning into a marketing gimmick. 4K is, for the foreseeable future, a practical limit -- and even that's not a massive improvement to the layperson over 2K.

Stitch

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2019, 11:43:01 AM
No, I mean 4K not actually being 4K.
As SiL said, there are various definitions of 4K. It's mainly a buzzword to sell things to the consumer. 1080P is vertical resolution, but 4K is horizontal. If you're talking about pixels, then it would actually be 8K!

The Vue cinema chain (which is my local) has Sony SRX-R515DS systems which are 4096x2160.

I've not upgraded my home TV to 4K (yet). At 47" I am fine with 1080P, and my girlfriend doesn't even notice the difference between that and standard definition.

The Old One

The Old One

SiL's correct.

Corporal Hicks

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2019, 03:55:17 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Kul18f5GtqnSg/giphy.gif

Thanks for the info.  :)

I can't be the only person who is still confuzzled.

I interpret stuff like this as "clearer picture, improved coloration, better sound quality."

I might need it explained in idiot terms.

Stitch

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Mar 03, 2019, 04:12:22 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 03, 2019, 03:55:17 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/Kul18f5GtqnSg/giphy.gif

Thanks for the info.  :)

I can't be the only person who is still confuzzled.

I interpret stuff like this as "clearer picture, improved coloration, better sound quality."

I might need it explained in idiot terms.
Technically 4K is just referring to resolution. Colour and sound quality are separate (though they do tend to all scale up together).

Resolution is clarity of picture, which is made up of pixels (light dots, effectively). If you have a 32" screen, then DVD quality is 720x576 (pal), which gives 414,720 dots, full HD is 1980x1080 which is 2,073,600 dots, and 4K (UHD) is 3840x2160 so 8,294,400 dots. The more dots available per inch, the greater the clarity of image.

Colouration and depth depends on bandwidth, which is set as part of a standard set for what is supported in specific media (i.e DVD, blu ray, UHD blu ray, etc). The more bandwidth (space) available, the greater the depth of video and audio quality available up until lossless (which is where were at now), when you can then get no greater quality, but can expand channels. Resolution is also a part of the standard, and multiple resolutions can be supported in each standard, which is why you can get standard definition special features on an HD blu ray.

Jaggedpulp

Also I liked the fact we were given Alien programme notes before going into the screening.  They were nothing new but a really nice touch nevertheless.

Corporal Hicks

That's sweet! Didn't get that at mine.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed