William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,815 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The shotgun is more implausible simply because active duty military doesn't let you carry that shit.  However day National Guard tho......we could carry civilian after a recruiting center was shot up for personal defense as long as it wasn't on a federal post.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Didn't you carry a bow?

Spoiler
[close]

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Is the shotgun really all that implausible? To my knowledge they are used by the US military now for breaching reasons.
If you take the Vietnam parallels into consideration it works even better. The shotgun was a common use weapon by point-men, and civilian hunting rifles/pistols also made their way to Vietnam during the war.

Old weapons showing up in Aliens/the USCM...it doesn't really bother me. The 1911 has been around since...1911 and was the US service pistol until 1986. I know I've seen a picture of it being used during the invasion of Iraq (wounded marine being pulled out of a building holding one). The M45A1 is basically a reworked 1911 that  some marine units still use.

I would have liked if the UPP's main weapon had been more..."Aliens" and if the dropship did have a more Russian look to it. Those didn't really ruin the comic for me though

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SiL on Jan 30, 2020, 06:47:05 PM
All modern spacecraft are designed with aerodynamics in mind on account of all the air they have to pass through on takeoff. There's a reason space shuttles look like planes.

I mean I get your general point.

Elon Musk brought the space shuttle look to an end with his VTOL rockets.  That vertical landing bit is really revolutionary.  Even if you could travel to distant planets in a space-shuttle-shaped vehicle, you wouldn't be able to land a winged vehicle if there was very little atmosphere and especially if there were no runways.  VTOL is the way to go, and your spaceship should be rocket shaped.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 07, 2020, 03:09:02 PM
Is the shotgun really all that implausible? To my knowledge they are used by the US military now for breaching reasons.
If you take the Vietnam parallels into consideration it works even better. The shotgun was a common use weapon by point-men, and civilian hunting rifles/pistols also made their way to Vietnam during the war.

Old weapons showing up in Aliens/the USCM...it doesn't really bother me. The 1911 has been around since...1911 and was the US service pistol until 1986. I know I've seen a picture of it being used during the invasion of Iraq (wounded marine being pulled out of a building holding one). The M45A1 is basically a reworked 1911 that  some marine units still use.

I would have liked if the UPP's main weapon had been more..."Aliens" and if the dropship did have a more Russian look to it. Those didn't really ruin the comic for me though

We carry shotguns for breaching yes.  I had one mounted on my m4 when I was in the sapper company, but you aren't allowed to bring your own personal piece to federal I stallations for a multitude of reasons.  Mainly soldiers and Marines are trained to be hyper aggressive and spend most weeknights and weekends drunk as f**k. 

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 10, 2020, 07:40:25 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 07, 2020, 03:09:02 PM

We carry shotguns for breaching yes.  I had one mounted on my m4 when I was in the sapper company, but you aren't allowed to bring your own personal piece to federal I stallations for a multitude of reasons.  Mainly soldiers and Marines are trained to be hyper aggressive and spend most weeknights and weekends drunk as f**k. 

Gotcha, I figured things were stricter now and that totally makes sense.
I've just kind of assumed it was another parallel with Vietnam with some "this is cool" sprinkled in

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yes I'm sure that is actually what Cameron was going for and in a major command whose fighting arm appears to operate way outside of command authority, it is not totally implausible that kind of shit would make it through.

It never bothered me in the film, I just know what the rules are now, and you can't carry in any of the active duty installations for any service for a multitude of reasons.   Even your issued weapons stay locked up in a vault 90% of the time. 

razeak

razeak

My issue with the older weapons was that it appeared to be standard issue in that time period.  I'm fine with the UZI still existing and popping up in a fashion similar to Hicks' shotgun. It's just some personal preference on his part, and it fulfills a specific role.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Like killing people in closets

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 11, 2020, 07:41:28 PM
Like killing people in closets

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Still one of the best surprise moments in all of cinema.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 30, 2020, 09:18:44 PM
Dropships have to be at least somewhat aerodynamic in order to perform their intended function as trans-atmospheric aerospace transports.  I'm not convinced that a UPP interceptor would share those same requirements though.

Quote from: Vermillion on Jan 30, 2020, 01:10:55 PM
Plus the MiG-25 is huge compared to the F-15

You're more of a VF-1J guy.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

I haven't read Gibson's second draft. I read the first draft many, many years ago.

Am I remembering things totally wrong? Because I recall some wild stuff in that first draft, like a battle with the aliens on the outer surface of the station, a mutant Queen launching spores into the air, and a scene with multiple chestbursters emerging from a single host and scurrying around.

I was disappointed to see that stuff taken out. Comics are one medium where you can show anything. I found the comic to be too restrained.  Mostly talking heads with little alien activity. When aliens did appear, they were drawn in a way that I consider to be unflattering.

Listening to audio drama while perusing the comic book makes for a fun experience, despite my criticisms. It's great to have the crew from Aliens back, and since this is probably the closest we'll ever get to an officially licensed alternate continuity, I'll gladly take it over the movie Alien 3. It may be somewhat dull, but at least it's not depressing.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The comic is incredibly faithful to the second draft of the script.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Right down to the Uzis.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed