ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 148,020 times)

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 02, 2014, 11:27:02 PM
Spoiler
Liked the new alien species - hope to actually have them fleshed out in the next book otherwise this'll just feel like a light rehash of Alien.
[close]

I agree. I hope the sequels at least touch on that element. I don't expect it, but I also didn't expect something like that to be included in Out of the Shadows in the first place, so I won't count it out. A very solid start for the trilogy. I also look forward to Moore's interpretation of what the Alien universe looks like in "several hundred years."

HuDaFuK

I'm about halfway through. So far I think it's well written, but the plot just isn't doing it for me, and Ripley's presence is really bugging me. There's literally no reason for her to be there, other than to include her name. It doesn't help that the other characters, with the exception of Hoop, are pretty faceless.

lucas.tanton

So has anyone read the new official book "out of the shadows" written by Tim Lebbon yet.  Ive almost finished it and am finding it a great read.  What do you guys all think?  Spoilers ahead.  Im enjoying the new characters and setting.  The book makes it easy to conjurer up vivid accurate images for the imagination.  So much new, never before seen stuff is in the new novel that really expands the universe far more than even Prometheus did.  My only problem with the story so far is that Ripley plays such a big role in it or even that she is in it at all considering she was meant to be floating through the cosmos when this book is set "between alien and aliens."  But what do you guys think?

Kimarhi

I didn't like the whole Hoop is looking for monsters thing and then ohmygod they are scary in real life!

Seemed tacky.

Kimarhi

Wasn't that bad compared to some other recent stuff we got.  Wasn't really bothered by Ash so much as I was Ripley.  Ash beaming himself through the cosmos and then randomly taking over the Marion would've been better than bringing Ripley in and then having the convenient mind wipe at the end.  Still I did get a very Alien vibe through most of the story, and I did like how the crew had to put together things like Isaac in dead space to defend themselves and the crew for the most part was memorable enough I didn't have to take a bite of alphabet soup to try and remember who was who.

Personally not buying that the Aliens are weak against other forms of acid, Ripley was written okay but her inclusion is totally pointless, and the who engineered the Aliens or are they are natural debate is raised once again in this EU but probably will never be answered for fear of what Prometheus 2 is going to do.

Not bad but not great either.  Solidly entertaining.  Good enough I'll probably drop the seven bucks on the sequel.  Best Aliens related material since the More than Human comic run a couple of years ago before that series got trashed by the weak attempt at a crossover.

aliens13

It's worth it buy it?

predxeno

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 07, 2014, 01:58:16 AM
Personally not buying that the Aliens are weak against other forms of acid.

To be fair, this weakness was also demonstrated in the AVP2 pc game where the player Alien gets hurt if it touches an industrial acid used to melt the floors to the Artificial Hive locking mechanism control panel.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 07, 2014, 06:51:55 AM
To be fair, this weakness was also demonstrated in the AVP2 pc game where the player Alien gets hurt if it touches an industrial acid used to melt the floors to the Artificial Hive locking mechanism control panel.

I could argue that maybe game mechanics.

predxeno

I don't follow. :(

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 07, 2014, 07:29:00 AM

Well we know that Xenomorphs are acid proof, or acid resistant if we take the first AvP movie into account. Their exoskeleton makes them resistant to their own corrosive acid blood which is known to burn through several floors of industrial steel and titanium. I would think that they are acid resistant or acid proof towards many types of acid.

The idea of a Xenomorph being affected by industrial acid might be a game mechanic to make the gameplay more experience. In some games we have Predators affected by electricity when Predator 2 showed us they can withstand lightning strikes which range up to a voltage of one billion volts. That would make it a gameplay mechanic. So would the idea of Aliens being affected by acidic substances in the AvP games. To make it balanced.

Not sure if I got my point across but you know what I mean.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 07, 2014, 01:58:16 AM
Personally not buying that the Aliens are weak against other forms of acid, Ripley was written okay but her inclusion is totally pointless, and the who engineered the Aliens or are they are natural debate is raised once again in this EU but probably will never be answered for fear of what Prometheus 2 is going to do.

Prometheus 2 aka Paradise is supposed to be further away from Alien in terms of references and maybe plot.. At least that's what Ridley Scott and company say.

predxeno

Oh ok, but I don't think it was designed to be a game mechanic; the aforementioned industrial acid only exists in one scene and isn't mentioned ever again in any of the campaigns or even multiplayer.

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 07, 2014, 07:38:24 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 07, 2014, 07:29:00 AM

Well we know that Xenomorphs are acid proof, or acid resistant if we take the first AvP movie into account. Their exoskeleton makes them resistant to their own corrosive acid blood which is known to burn through several floors of industrial steel and titanium. I would think that they are acid resistant or acid proof towards many types of acid.
You said it yourself - they're resistant to their own acid, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're 100% acid-proof against any and all types of acid.

Kimarhi

I'm no chemist but I don't see how that works.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 07, 2014, 04:32:35 PM
I'm no chemist but I don't see how that works.

In regards to the Xenomorph being affected by acids? In what retrospect, to what I said or what with Xenomrph is countering with?

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

I enjoyed it. Thought it was well written. The nods to the other films stand out...which they always do to the fans.

One of the things that bothered me
Spoiler
when Baxter broke his ankle the only medical treatment was wrapping...later after Ripley was injured pain meds were dispensed...why not earlier with Baxter so he didn't slow them down as much? Lot easier to move when your not burdened with pain
[close]

Spoiler
With the memory wash having had a parent with dementia I've seen first hand how medications can help to enhance memory...its not a leap that in the future that they would be able to diminish it.
[close]

Spoiler
I like the Ash AI sub plot...yet again the red herring. Of course that would not have been there without the Ripley connection though I thought his emotional remarks a bit much. In ALIEN he said "he admired it" so there was a precedence for it. I kept waiting for one of the characters to be exposed as a robot so that made me pay close attention to each ot them. The use of mining tools as weapons all good. And I liked the acid gun for lack of better term...much more dangerous than a flame thrower to operator,bystanders & environment.spoiler
[close]

* * * * *   5 stars

I'm looking forward to the next installment! ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed