Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 117,088 times)

swarm87

Blomkamp is the guy that made the cool looking scifi movie that was a not too subtle metaphor for illegal immigration right? If so, don't want him anywhere near the Aline franchise; I don't like, want or need political subtext with my scifi, BGINO & Avatar were bad enough

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 16, 2015, 08:54:12 AM
Personally, I think the far-future is one of the most interesting places to explore. It just needs a better film to do it.
I'd appreciate it more if it was less generic and more like what we discussed here.

HuDaFuK

Who's to say it isn't? The fourth film didn't really explore it at all outside of the Auriga. All we know is the USM runs pretty much everything and Earth is kaput. Who knows what's going on in the rest of colonised space. There's pretty wide scope for world building there.

Gash

Quote from: Kelgaard on Feb 15, 2015, 11:02:23 AM


Quote from: Gash on Feb 14, 2015, 11:27:42 PM
I have little interest in Alien 5 - especially if Ripley is trundled out again. Even less interest if Hicks or, God help us, Newt is part of the thing.

We're making pleas to the Almighty now?  Then I pray this movie gets made and I hope it makes every last purist and A3 fan melt like the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz.

Who? Oh god. Yeah, you're right, bollocks to god. Please Fox, don't make Alien 5 with Ripley, Hicks or Newt. Aliens wasn't that good, and even if it were the surviving characters were crap and don't need to be revisited.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Gash on Feb 16, 2015, 11:39:36 PM
Quote from: Kelgaard on Feb 15, 2015, 11:02:23 AM


Quote from: Gash on Feb 14, 2015, 11:27:42 PM
I have little interest in Alien 5 - especially if Ripley is trundled out again. Even less interest if Hicks or, God help us, Newt is part of the thing.

We're making pleas to the Almighty now?  Then I pray this movie gets made and I hope it makes every last purist and A3 fan melt like the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz.

Who? Oh god. Yeah, you're right, bollocks to god. Please Fox, don't make Alien 5 with Ripley, Hicks or Newt. Aliens wasn't that good, and even if it were the surviving characters were crap and don't need to be revisited.

Hardcore Purist detected!

Alien³

Quote from: Kelgaard on Feb 15, 2015, 11:02:23 AM
Then I pray this movie gets made and I hope it makes every last purist and A3 fan melt like the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz.


Corporal Hicks

Unnecessary fellas. Let's not see that again.

Kelgaard

Kelgaard

#592
Aliens is a deserved classic.  Hicks and Newt were great characters.   Bring on the retcon.  Bring it, Blomkamp!

Quote from: Alien³ on Feb 17, 2015, 09:12:36 AM

:laugh:

Russ

Quote from: swarm87 on Feb 16, 2015, 06:06:45 PM
Blomkamp is the guy that made the cool looking scifi movie that was a not too subtle metaphor for illegal immigration right? If so, don't want him anywhere near the Aline franchise; I don't like, want or need political subtext with my scifi, BGINO & Avatar were bad enough

In Alien, there wasn't any subtext originally, it was Giler and Hill that put in all the stuff about the evil corporation exploiting the workers for their nefarious gains - but the commentary on Big Bad Company ended up being canon to pretty much all the media set in the 'verse up till now. And to be fair, Aliens was full of subtext about the Vietnam war (still in recent memory in 85/86).

The Eighth Passenger

Lol...

Quote from: Brock HumphreyBrock Humphrey ‏@B_rock1400  14h14 hours ago
@NeillBlomkamp Neill, over/under 50% chance you make an Alien movie?

Quote from: Neill BlomkampNeill Blomkamp ‏@NeillBlomkamp  14h14 hours ago
@B_rock1400 like 50.23%

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/567504465138180096

Omegamorph

Hah, what a carrot.

Valaquen

Quote from: Russ on Feb 17, 2015, 01:39:22 PM
Quote from: swarm87 on Feb 16, 2015, 06:06:45 PM
Blomkamp is the guy that made the cool looking scifi movie that was a not too subtle metaphor for illegal immigration right? If so, don't want him anywhere near the Aline franchise; I don't like, want or need political subtext with my scifi, BGINO & Avatar were bad enough

In Alien, there wasn't any subtext originally, it was Giler and Hill that put in all the stuff about the evil corporation exploiting the workers for their nefarious gains - but the commentary on Big Bad Company ended up being canon to pretty much all the media set in the 'verse up till now. And to be fair, Aliens was full of subtext about the Vietnam war (still in recent memory in 85/86).

To be fair, in Giler and Hill's intended version that wasn't subtext at all - you were beat over the head with it and repeatedly flogged. The film found some middle ground by rejecting a lot of their ideas and reincorporating O'Bannon's, so we have some nice subtext that doesn't interfere with the film.

predxeno

The novelization actually casts The Company in a much kinder light where WY never wanted its crew to die but had hoped that the crew would be able to live through the entire voyage with the Alien alongside so they could pick up their paychecks back home.

OpenMaw

One of the reasons I enjoy the fact that Aliens basically has WY completely unawares of what went on, and has Burke acting out of his own personal greed. It plays against expectations just like Bishop does on a first viewing.

The Cruentus

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 17, 2015, 11:03:15 PM
One of the reasons I enjoy the fact that Aliens basically has WY completely unawares of what went on, and has Burke acting out of his own personal greed. It plays against expectations just like Bishop does on a first viewing.

I agree with this, the first three films portray the company in a morally grey light, for all intense and purposes, its just a company and one that has become interested in an alien life-from which they hope to acquire which is in contrast with the silly blatantly evil corporation of Alien Resurrection and most video games, who go around killing people left and right and happily use people as hosts for Xenomorphs.

In the first film, they don't want anyone harmed, but the specimen's priority is higher than the crew and the android Ash then makes its own interpretation of the orders, especially when the humans seek to kill the Alien and acts accordingly (similar to apollo). In the second film, I believe Burke was acting alone, and third film has W-Y make an offer to Ripley, they may have even gone through with it (we will never know), they never killed Morse either when the jaded Ripley believed they would kill witnesses. However, A:CM then has Michael Bishop as a total sociopath who kills people no longer useful to him.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed