Blomkamp Shares Newt Concept Art from Alien 5!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2016, 05:41:01 AM

Author
Blomkamp Shares Newt Concept Art from Alien 5! (Read 31,405 times)

Corporal Hicks

It never got reported on but according to Ross Poulter, one of the admins at WY-Bulletin, at London Film and Comic Con last year he spoke to Carrie Henn who said she would be in the film but only through something like a video link call.

Perfect-Organism

I actually hope she is in the film.  By the time the film starts shooting, Carrie Henn could polish up on her acting.  It would be silly not to give the character a larger role, and I suspect Blomkamp sharing this images may imply that they're rethinking the extent of the character's role.  I would hope that they really think things through and put together something that can be a trilogy.  I mean I don't want a story spread thin like not enough butter on toast (Hobbit, ehem!), but if they have something good and epic that can come thogether over 3 films, I would be up for that..

Kel G 426

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 06, 2016, 09:01:19 AM
It never got reported on but according to Ross Poulter, one of the admins at WY-Bulletin, at London Film and Comic Con last year he spoke to Carrie Henn who said she would be in the film but only through something like a video link call.

Wonderful!  I would've been happy enough just to hear her name mentioned in a few lines of dialogue.  To see Carrie herself reappear as Newt will really be a treat.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Apr 27, 2016, 06:41:59 PMI just don't understand... why can't they honestly just continue the story? It's a big universe with many characters to introduce and explore. Why is Alien limited to Ripley? It's one of this franchise's glaring flaws to be honest. For a sci fi that grounds itself in lots of realism, it sure suspends tons of belief by having one character encounter Aliens 238024830843 times in her lifetime. What was so great about Weaver's suggestion to Blomkamp to make him change his original script which was going to explore a new character?

This.

Burke had to resort to downright bribery and hollow promises to get Ripley to go back to LV-426, and even then only as an adviser.

Alien 3 gave us a magic egg on the Sulaco so she was forced into facing the alien again.  Alien Resurrection's way of bringing her back was ridiculously contrived, but at least it made sense from the standpoint that Ripley was once again stuck on a ship infested with the aliens.

Assuming Ripley, Hicks and Newt survived the three week trip back to Earth and lived normal lives for 30 years, what sort of plot device would any self-respecting writer use to convince us that she'd willingly go anywhere near the aliens again?

Unless it's some sort of Rolland Emmerich-style disaster movie that focuses on how "the old gang" handles an infestation of Earth along with the rest of humanity, I just don't see it.

That could be awesome, but the last thing I want is Sigourney Weaver exerting any creative control over the story.

Quote from: Kelgaard on May 30, 2016, 03:01:26 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 06, 2016, 09:01:19 AM

Wonderful!  I would've been happy enough just to hear her name mentioned in a few lines of dialogue.  To see Carrie herself reappear as Newt will really be a treat.

It's always nice to see the original actors reprise their old roles.  I hate re-casting.  That said, she's not an actor.  If she gets the part, I sure as shit hope it isn't big enough to make or break the movie. 

They should only give her enough screen time to appease the fans, but not enough to make us regret that they brought her back.  Kinda like Carrie Fisher in The Force Awakens.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Apr 27, 2016, 06:41:59 PM
What was so great about Weaver's suggestion to Blomkamp to make him change his original script which was going to explore a new character?

The much higher chance of his pitch being green-lit.

Russ

Cynical. But probably wholly accurate.  ;D

Scorpio

Newt will be the star of Alien 5 (played by some young and sexy upcoming actress).  Who could really see Carrie Henn returning to the role?  Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn will have minor roles to bring in the fans.  Just like The Force Awakens.  They want to relaunch the franchise with Ripley 2.0.

Sigourney Weaver's character (Ripley or Ripley 8??) will probably die in Alien 5 at some point.  It seems unlikely she would return for future movies, given her age.  But her returning for Ripley "one last time" will be a big box office draw when this film comes out.

Kel G 426

I can see Carrie in a cameo appearance, as mentioned above, then recast if the character returns for an expanded role in a sequel. 

D. Compton Ambrose

I'm all for this! I think she should be the main protagonist, but the film shouldn't reveal it is Rebecca 'Newt' Jordan until the end of the movie. Until then, she should be known as Ann Weyland (Weyland's daughter was the one dead in the EEV, for example).

And it should be a tall, strong female actress, for example:

Couldn't hurt for her to put on some muscle, however.

Corporal Hicks

This just showed up on Twitter. Creators.co's ideas for who could be Newt: https://creators.co/@DCFenoff/3960063

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 09, 2016, 10:25:49 AM
Newt will be the star of Alien 5 (played by some young and sexy upcoming actress).
Given her trauma at LV-426 and the hive, I would imagine her to be an elephant of a woman in a mumu, with having lost both her legs to diabetes. :P

Scorpio

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jun 10, 2016, 05:15:52 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 09, 2016, 10:25:49 AM
Newt will be the star of Alien 5 (played by some young and sexy upcoming actress).
Given her trauma at LV-426 and the hive, I would imagine her to be an elephant of a woman in a mumu, with having lost both her legs to diabetes. :P

lol in real life but not hollywood.

I see future Newt as being a badass warrior woman.. like a future Amazon.  She inherits the legacy of her adoptive mother and takes the fight to the aliens on their homeworld.

Perfect-Organism

When faced with trauma it's equally possible and realistic that some people will be empowered by it and some will be disempowered.  Its all individual.  I can see Newt wanting revenge, but I can also see her drying up like a leaf and dying inside.  She definitely had it in her to survive all those weeks alone on LV-426, but she did so at the cost of her humanity.  I think the Newt presented in the original Mark Verheiden comics series was the most realistic and plausible.  She was a total headcase, but when given the opportunity to get revenge om the Aliens, she rose to the task.

Corporal Hicks

One of the things I enjoyed about Book 1 was that it did have an actual effect on Newt's psyche. I really hope that they take a similar approach with Alien 3.2.

OpenMaw

Sarah Connor her ass. We need more PTSD badass women.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed