More Casting: ROOM breakout Jacob Tremblay to star in Shane Black's The Predato

Started by ace3g, Jan 25, 2017, 05:30:11 PM

Author
More Casting: ROOM breakout Jacob Tremblay to star in Shane Black's The Predato (Read 43,688 times)

echobbase79

One thing I don't want is for the child to have a relationship with the Predator. I think that's pushing it. I don't think that will happen, but just throwing it out there. 

426Buddy

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jan 26, 2017, 05:16:30 PM
One thing I don't want is for the child to have a relationship with the Predator. I think that's pushing it. I don't think that will happen, but just throwing it out there.

Of course that would be wrong and gross, Predators should only have a romantic relationships with creatures over a certain age. It would certainly bring new meaning to the show "to catch a predator"  :D

I'm j/k

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 26, 2017, 05:21:27 PM

Of course that would be wrong and gross, Predators should only have a romantic relationships with creatures over a certain age. It would certainly bring new meaning to the show "to catch a predator"  :D

I'm j/k

:laugh:

echobbase79

I'm j/k

Big casting news!

Chris Hansen to face off against the Predator!  :D

PredBabe

:D

This time the predator offers the little boy some candy.

Stealth_Hunter

Quote from: Master on Jan 26, 2017, 04:31:46 PM
Quote from: Stealth_Hunter on Jan 26, 2017, 04:20:39 PM
Quote from: Master on Jan 26, 2017, 04:14:30 PM
Not foreign. Alien! Reading predator symbols is like understanding their clicks and roars, impossible and preposterous.

It's illogical to think the clicks and roars are their language. I think those are just sounds made during the hunt for intimidation or to spook their prey. Let's not forget that Predators can speak English. We do not see them communicate with each other using a series of clicks and roars.

If we found an undiscovered group of tribal people in the amazon and they came at us screaming with their Spears hoisted up, would we think they communicate through screaming?

You're missing the point.

Sorry, Master, I re-read your post and I think I get the point you're making. I'm not an expert in the linguistics field by any means. I'm curious if you've seen the movie 'Arrival' and if you have, what's your take on it regarding the alien language humans have to decypher? Is it a fool's errand to even try?

Another question I have is if it's preposterous for humans to understand Predator language, is it just as preposterous for Predators to understand ours?

The Alien Predator

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jan 26, 2017, 05:42:32 PM

I'm j/k

Big casting news!

Chris Hansen to face off against the Predator!  :D

His weapon of choice, the deadly seat!

Predator_Spirit

Maybe they Will follow the footsteps of Anderson and do it.

PredBabe

Quote from: Predator_Spirit on Jan 26, 2017, 06:34:35 PM

Maybe they Will follow the footsteps of Anderson and do it.

AVP was a good love story.

Master

Quote from: Stealth_Hunter on Jan 26, 2017, 06:09:10 PM
Quote from: Master on Jan 26, 2017, 04:31:46 PM
Quote from: Stealth_Hunter on Jan 26, 2017, 04:20:39 PM
Not foreign. Alien! Reading predator symbols is like understanding their clicks and roars, impossible and preposterous.

It's illogical to think the clicks and roars are their language. I think those are just sounds made during the hunt for intimidation or to spook their prey. Let's not forget that Predators can speak English. We do not see them communicate with each other using a series of clicks and roars.

If we found an undiscovered group of tribal people in the amazon and they came at us screaming with their Spears hoisted up, would we think they communicate through screaming?

You're missing the point.

Sorry, Master, I re-read your post and I think I get the point you're making. I'm not an expert in the linguistics field by any means. I'm curious if you've seen the movie 'Arrival' and if you have, what's your take on it regarding the alien language humans have to decypher? Is it a fool's errand to even try?

Another question I have is if it's preposterous for humans to understand Predator language, is it just as preposterous for Predators to understand ours?

I'm not linguistics expert either. But without knowing the meaning of sounds it doesn't seem possible. I  haven't seen Arrival yet, but heard about it and I  definitely will.

Predators have two advantages which make their understanding of human language more plausible. They are coming here for very long time and they are watching us in natural environment,  which gives context to the sounds we are making.

Now the most preposterous would be understanding of Predator marking. It's like trying to learn the meaning of Chinese text, written in chinise alphabet without ever seeing or hearing Chinise.

Hieroglyphs were decyphered only when a thesame writing was found in three languages and two of them were still being used.

genocyber

genocyber

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jan 26, 2017, 10:32:08 AM
I like the idea of the kid seeing something in the Predator symbols because of his autism, like decoding certain messages or meanings. I wouldn't want the kid to speak directly with them though, that would be weird but i just like the fact that they want to expand some of the mythology and make them even more grounded as actual characters.
It's f**king stupid is what it is. Autism does not make you into some mad genius who can think outside the box. Not everyone is Rain Man.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: genocyber on Jan 26, 2017, 10:14:16 PM

It's f**king stupid is what it is. Autism does not make you into some mad genius who can think outside the box. Not everyone is Rain Man.

Jesus Christ, it's a movie about an alien who has a hobby hunting humans. By saying "not everyone is rain man", you're saying not all fictional characters can be fictional characters.

It's not unrealistic at all that an above-average intelligent child would be a social outcast, and in general be labeled as autistic.

I'm looking forward to this kind of story. It doesn't sound like a rehash slasher movie that we had with every new Predator movie. We'll get to know them better but getting a glimpse of their writing, which opens a door for all sorts of new ideas.

RakaiThwei

I have some knowledge on the subject and there are evidences of people with Asperger syndrome doing outstanding things in different fields, like linguistics, but what we are talking here is different thing entirely. I don't like the idea cause it's alien language. Not foreign. Alien! Made by creatures entirely different then  we are, with totally different structure , concetp and meaning. Reading predator symbols is like understanding their clicks and roars, impossible and preposterous.

Agreed.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Master on Jan 26, 2017, 07:00:19 PM
Predators have two advantages which make their understanding of human language more plausible. They are coming here for very long time and they are watching us in natural environment,  which gives context to the sounds we are making.

That makes a lot of sense.

We display some of this when we observe and interpret animal behaviour as displaying a certain mood.

"Dogs wag tail when happy," "cats wag tail when angry," "bearded dragons bob head when warning you to stay away from them," etc.

Predators would have a similar understanding of us. They won't speak our languages fluently, but they'd have run across certain words like "f**k" to know that we use it quite frequently in some parts of the world hence why they choose certain phrases at the most opportune moments. XD

And because we're sapient with a language of our own, they may actually have deciphered some meanings by observing how we react and respond to the words.

But our languages and theirs (I think they have multiple as well) would be as similar as the language of dolphins to ours which is to say, very alien.

Scorpio

Kids are mostly really annoying in movies.  Mostly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed