Alien: Covenant Shooting March 2016 + Trilogy Details

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 27, 2015, 07:27:46 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Shooting March 2016 + Trilogy Details (Read 29,544 times)

whiterabbit

@Mustangjeff: Yea I can live with all of those examples you gave. It's just that I hope Covenant does mean a agreement between god(insert deity aka David etc) and the masses.

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Dec 01, 2015, 12:55:19 AM
I'm sorry, but I just can't get with the idea of the Alien being nothing but a manufactured weapon.  If that's the case, we might as well name the series Construct.
I'm kind of ok, sort of, with the idea that it is a manufactured weapon. However I would prefer it be a naturally occurring spices that was merely corrupted by the engineers. Perhaps, since there is religious connotations in the premise, the Alien is the engineers attempt to resurrect god.

Perfect-Organism

The idea that the Xenos were engineered ceases to be disturbing when you consider the context of the Prometheus film which entails humans being engineered by the pale white tall guys.  By this rationale you can consider that the Alien is as natural as a cat or an ant.  They are species that are able to function in their environment.  Perhaps somewhere out there, they also have Xenos running around on a planet in some ecosystem.  That could still mean they're engineered as weapons, but then it could mean the same thing about humans.  Perhaps we are the engineered weapons...

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Dec 01, 2015, 12:55:19 AMI'm sorry, but I just can't get with the idea of the Alien being nothing but a manufactured weapon.  If that's the case, we might as well name the series Construct.

Who's to say they didn't start out as a construct before taking on a life of their own? The Alien we see now may not be what was originally created.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 01, 2015, 09:04:54 AM
Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Dec 01, 2015, 12:55:19 AMI'm sorry, but I just can't get with the idea of the Alien being nothing but a manufactured weapon.  If that's the case, we might as well name the series Construct.

Who's to say they didn't start out as a construct before taking on a life of their own? The Alien we see now may not be what was originally created.

True.  I love how they created something so compelling that it makes us keep trying to solve this mystery in our heads even though it is completely a work of fiction and they seem to be making it up as they go along...

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Dec 01, 2015, 12:55:19 AM
I'm sorry, but I just can't get with the idea of the Alien being nothing but a manufactured weapon.  If that's the case, we might as well name the series Construct.

Don't be so hard on this Cold Light... If you think about it, this weaponizing of the Deacon, is kind of like the way humans have manufactured Dog breeds. I believe that's the way Ridley means to have the xeno 'manufactured' anyway... Like they took an already dangerous species and amplified or accelerated all the aspects that made it dangerous...

Maybe this Covenant is some sort of agreement made between the warring gods... Like we were made to be hosts for these monsters, and then some of the gods loved us (as in Paradise Lost) but some of the gods could care less about us and wanted us to be used as the hosts. And what we saw in Prometheus was the ones that hated us, determined to destroy us and use us for research.
Maybe a covenant was made between the gods, where they agreed that the bad Engineers,... they could use some of us as hosts to do research and develop this monsters with, provided they left the rest of us alone, on earth... But then things got violent between them because the Engineers were jealous of Gods love for us (Paradise Lost) and they destroyed themselves.
So what we saw in Prometheus was some of the last survivors trying to destroy us or evolve us,...
I dunno, something like that...

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Since corroboration usually builds credibility...
It appears that Scott really does plan Covenant + 2 more sequels and he's doing it to build a franchise inspired by Star Wars.

I found the first link freshly-posted on Games Radar.
http://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-inspired-ridley-scott-revisit-alien/

The source for that is here:
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/ridley-scott-hopes-to-shoot-three-new-alien-movies-in-sydney-20151127-gl93o1.html

Scott claims he's going to tell us everything. Admittedly, I am not catching much enthusiasm for any of this. The inane aspects of Prometheus left a horrible aftertaste. But who knows? Maybe something good will happen. I guess we'll see.

windebieste

'Prometheus' was such an uneven movie; yet 'The Martian' delivered in ways that was exceptional in every way where Scott's previous film was flawed.

'ALIEN: Covenant' could go either way. 

Right now; and at this point in time, I say "Flip a coin.  Hope for the best."

-Windebieste.

Born Of Cold Light

If Aliens were created in the same bizarre manner that humans were, I might be okay with it; I just don't want to see them coming off an assembly line, and being nothing more than another weapon in the Engineers' arsenal.

Maybe Aliens/Deacons/whatever else the Engineers created could be derived from a heretofore unknown species; one more terrifying and dangerous than the creations.  Maybe the black goo could be its could be fluid from its body.

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 01, 2015, 10:26:09 PM
'Prometheus' was such an uneven movie; yet 'The Martian' delivered in ways that was exceptional in every way where Scott's previous film was flawed.

'ALIEN: Covenant' could go either way. 

Right now; and at this point in time, I say "Flip a coin.  Hope for the best."

-Windebieste.

I think that the fact that he has a saga and franchise in mind is a positive sign, in that it shows more focus.

Mustangjeff

Sorry to go back to Babylon 5 here, but I wonder if we might see something akin to the shadow wars.

The basic synopsis is that at a time in the past, the "first ones" decided to leave the known galaxy behind.  The first ones were a group of ancient species that were first to developed sentience in the galaxy.  When the first ones departed, they left two caretakers behind to watch over the younger developing species.  They were the Vorlons, and the Shadows.

At some point the Vorlons and shadows stopped agreeing on how to foster the younger races.

Vorlons - preferred order and obedience.  They appeared to the younger races as angelic creatures, and tinkered genetically which created telephaths. 

Shadows - preferred chaos.  Wars allowed the strong to survive and the weak to be destroyed.  Mother is the necessity of invention.

Eventually the know galaxy became a proxy war for the two different viewpoints.  The Vorlons and Shadows would not attack each other outright, but allowed the younger races to fight terrible wars on their behalf.

Where am I going with this?

Makes me wonder if this could be where we are headed in the ALIEN universe.

Xeno - represents chaos, physical power, instinctual.

Humans - Weak, but technologically advanced,

The survivor inherits the universe.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

To pull one out of the box maybe the aliens were given the same star map and just beat us to the engineers. The mural in the giant head room was a warning to not trust those guys. The giant head was just a memorial to the guy that stopped them. At which point they decided to terminate all their experiments in the sector before evacuating.

Like seriously too. That one mural had a xeno holding an open egg. It was like, here's our gift to you, engineer looks in and that dude is f**ked as is everyone else in the facility.

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

I'd just like to say that I hope they give pause for thought for the score and sound effects in this movie, as well as the lighting. All these sucked in Prometheus. Done with forethought, they could really make Covenant special. I'm not a fan of Aliens as an "Alien" film, but I like it a lot as a standalone action film, in fact love it. But with Alien it's about the atmosphere, and building suspense, something you can't do with the characters chatting all the time and no alone time with the characters like Lambert or Parker in their moment of horror.

I've listened to Alien lots of times without actually watching it and it's like a symphony. If I could walk about of the IMAX thinking this about Covenant then Sir Ridley is back. Finally, make it horror please like Alien, but how to? I would say the only horror left is sharing a good actor's horrific experience of slowly changing into an alien or something, no sure how but horror not action. There's no horror left in the beast, no fear from being stalked by it or it jumping out house-of-horrors style like Alien, so how about fear you can relate to like a horrible forced change into a nightmare creature. I remember reading a leaked false plot here on something like that before Prometheus dropped. Acting out knowing that you will become "the alien" and the horror of being powerless to stop it could be one way to bring the trilogy back to the majesty of Alien. Multiple Davids, could be good if acted as well as Prometheus but plays more into the hand of Blade Runner sci-fi and thinking about AI then horror for me.

Liberator

Okay, that explains more.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: itshouldneverhavebeenabug on Dec 02, 2015, 01:38:27 PM
I'd just like to say that I hope they give pause for thought for the score and sound effects in this movie, as well as the lighting. All these sucked in Prometheus. Done with forethought, they could really make Covenant special. I'm not a fan of Aliens as an "Alien" film, but I like it a lot as a standalone action film, in fact love it. But with Alien it's about the atmosphere, and building suspense, something you can't do with the characters chatting all the time and no alone time with the characters like Lambert or Parker in their moment of horror.

I've listened to Alien lots of times without actually watching it and it's like a symphony. If I could walk about of the IMAX thinking this about Covenant then Sir Ridley is back. Finally, make it horror please like Alien, but how to? I would say the only horror left is sharing a good actor's horrific experience of slowly changing into an alien or something, no sure how but horror not action. There's no horror left in the beast, no fear from being stalked by it or it jumping out house-of-horrors style like Alien, so how about fear you can relate to like a horrible forced change into a nightmare creature. I remember reading a leaked false plot here on something like that before Prometheus dropped. Acting out knowing that you will become "the alien" and the horror of being powerless to stop it could be one way to bring the trilogy back to the majesty of Alien. Multiple Davids, could be good if acted as well as Prometheus but plays more into the hand of Blade Runner sci-fi and thinking about AI then horror for me.

WHAT YOU SAY HERE ABOUT ATMOSPHERE!!!!
This is so on point. IN FACT - I would argue that it is precisely what they have almost never gotten right since ALIEN 3. And say whatever you want about ALIEN 3 but DAVID FINCHER is an absolute MASTER of ATMOSPHERE and that movie is no exception.

This is my biggest gripe with PROMETHEUS. At some points it does a fine job of creating atmosphere... But then it almost seems to shit on the atmosphere Ridley created in ALIEN. And that is the biggest shame of them all.
The fact that it does capture it sometimes is almost worse than it not capturing that atmosphere at all.

The scene where they find the giant head is a fine example of this. The image of that was stunning and eerie, but in execution, within the film, the camera never lingers on the grandeur of those sets for long enough to do what was done in the derelict with atmosphere in ALIEN. And the reason for that is sometime very easy to pin-point.
TIME.
To create the right atmosphere for ALIEN, you have to let things take time and lots of it. Its a slow build.
I actually disagree about ALIENS not creating atmosphere. Its not as abundant or thick and dense as the atmosphere in Alien and Alien 3 but, Aliens takes its time to build its world.
Much is said about all the action in Aliens but, truthfully that film has been on for almost an hour with almost no action yet... The opening with the Narcissus and her dreams, and the exploration of the Hive and the abandoned colony... All atmosphere building.... And this is what they need to accomplish again.
Take time. Build atmosphere. f**k run time. Give RS 2.5 hours FOX. Find a really great composer. I was listening to a WARP guy today called Oneohpoint Trix Never, that guys stuff was awesome.... I dunno. I wasnt happy with the PRometheus music.
Couldn't agree with this last post more.

PsyKore

Not sure what I think yet of this new trilogy. All I'm really certain of is that I don't want the new films to follow suit with Prometheus by being too big, epic and overblown. Keep it dark, menacing and personal like the original.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed