Alien: Romulus Casts David Jonsson, Archie Renaux, Spike Fearn, and Aileen Wu

Started by Predalien39, Mar 03, 2023, 09:34:45 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Casts David Jonsson, Archie Renaux, Spike Fearn, and Aileen Wu (Read 26,679 times)

BlueMarsalis79

I think as much as I generally disagree with TomT, he has a point on this, sure you can feisably make it like yesteryears but that itself makes for a pretty hollow hypothetical because nobody will.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2023, 08:24:17 AMJust for reference - I had a gander at the actor ages.

Cailee Spaeny - 24
David Jonsson - 28/29
Archie Renaux - 25
Spike Fearn - 29
Aileen Wu - ???
Isabela Merced - 21

That says it all. This isn't Alien for my generation; they're done with us. And that's okay, I'll always have three wonderful films.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 07, 2023, 10:46:12 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2023, 08:24:17 AMJust for reference - I had a gander at the actor ages.

Cailee Spaeny - 24
David Jonsson - 28/29
Archie Renaux - 25
Spike Fearn - 29
Aileen Wu - ???
Isabela Merced - 21

That says it all. This isn't Alien for my generation; they're done with us. And that's okay, I'll always have three wonderful films.

Is it that difficult to empathize with younger people? And I mean... they're not THAT young, but even if they were, some of my favorites of the expanded universe are Alien: Echo and Aliens: Dust to Dust, which has teen and kid protagonists respectively. I think it's an interesting prospect seeing the how young adults who have come of age in colony life handle a Xenomorph situation.

And believe it or not Sigourney Weaver was 28 years old when Alien began filming.

Kradan

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 07, 2023, 11:32:21 AMAnd believe it or not Sigourney Weaver was 28 years old when Alien began filming.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 07, 2023, 11:32:21 AMAnd believe it or not Sigourney Weaver was 28 years old when Alien began filming.

And Harry Dean Stanton was 50.

But it's about intent, it's who it's aimed at. This cast list sends a message.

RIP77

RIP77

PREY had a young cast and that doesn't mean it's just a teen movie. PREY is not Stranger things.

Covenant and prometheus  have adults who behave like teenagers. And typical teen horror scenes like the shower in Covenant. OR scenes teen for adults en Prometheus like the biologist doing the child

PREY is mature and adult with adolescents.More tan Covenant.

WITH teens is not the same as for teens. 

Romulus in Hulu is different a premiere cinema. Public is different. In Hulu more adult than Disney + or premiere cinema.

In Hulu Fox is adult plataform. El presidente de Fox dijo que new Alien and PREY are public more  adult  in Hulu tan premiere cinema becose more presion and control for boxoffice. In  Hulu new Alien   is more adult and less comercial movie, i thing.

Fede decided tone Romulus but adolescent movie... i to see to believe.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 07, 2023, 12:33:04 PM

And Harry Dean Stanton was 50.

But it's about intent, it's who it's aimed at. This cast list sends a message.

Ah yes, because the cast is absolutely limited to just this handful of names that we have so far and they aren't going to be adding any additional older actors to the cast list. It's a pretty sparsely populated colony world made up of only half a dozen or so settlers, after all.

Not sure I really understand this whole "some the lead actors are younger than me so therefore this movie isn't aimed squarely at me" mentality, either...

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: RIP77 on Mar 07, 2023, 12:38:45 PMPREY had a young cast and that doesn't mean it's just a teen movie. PREY is not Stranger things.

Covenant and prometheus  have adults who behave like teenagers. And typical teen horror scenes like the shower in Covenant. OR scenes teen for adults en Prometheus like the biologist doing the child

PREY is mature and adult with adolescents.More tan Covenant.

WITH teens is not the same as for teens. 

Romulus in Hulo is different a premiere cinema. Public is different. In Hulo more adult than Disney + or premiere cinema.

In Hulo Fox is adult plataform. El presidente de Fox dijo que new Alien and PREY are public more  adult  in Hulo tan premiere cinema becose more presion and control for boxoffice. In  Hulo new Alien  is more adult and less comercial movie, i thing.

Fede decided tone Romulus but adolescent movie... i to see to believe.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but isn't Hulu not Hulo?

Also, I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions here and should temper their expectations. We really don't know anything about this film yet. What I find super interesting, however, is the following from Variety:

QuoteThe untitled project joins the prequel series, which first premiered in 2012, with "Prometheus," followed by "Alien: Covenant." The prequel series is the latest iteration, and follows the original series which began in 1979, with "Alien," followed by "Aliens," "Alien 3," "Alien Resurrection," and then the crossover series which began in 2004, with "Alien vs. Predator" and "Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem."

Does this mean that we will be getting a conclusion or continuation to the story from Alien:Covenant? Previously, this film was pitched as a standalone story, but we have seen these kinds of marketing shenanigans before. Remember when Prometheus was "not an Alien movie but existed in the same universe"? Also, Fede pitched the story to Ridley Scott. Scott or Scott Free do not own Alien, but it was important to get his involvement with the story. If the colony in this film is made up of relatively young people, it could be akin to what we saw in Raised by Wolves: an upstart colony predominantly made up of young people who encounter mysteries on the home planet where the story is told. Could it be that the Covenant is a form of derelict that is found there? Just speculating. I also thought about this when I saw the crashed ship in the Noah Hawley Alien art (giant WY ship crashed into a metro area with Alien eggs inside). I would be all for the "David storyline" to conclude.

Kimarhi

Quote from: TomT on Mar 07, 2023, 09:07:28 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 07, 2023, 02:55:34 AMTomT's hot takes are worse than mine. 
None of my takes are hot, most are based on numbers and well known facts.
Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2023, 04:26:46 AMNot if the productions were smart about where they spent.
Aliens is a blockbuster, it would cost at least as much as Prometheus today. Sigourney would've gotten much more than 1 mln since salaries increased significantly too. Alien could cost less than 80 mln, but not by much if it was done as A level production.
Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 07, 2023, 02:55:34 AMLife had A-listers in its cast.
Only 2 of them and only one is usually expensive, but Reynolds had a supporting part, so I doubt he robbed the studio here plus he only started to rise at the time. Jake was never money hungry, I highly doubt he got a fat paycheck. The rest of the cast got even less. It's not that big difference from Alien cast.
Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 07, 2023, 02:55:34 AMIts sets were also built from scratch -- the Nostromo interiors are largely scrapped together from aircraft parts -- and they simulated zero gravity for the whole movie. The monster also couldn't be played by a man in a rubber suit.
Alien sets would've been built from scratch too if it was done today, and man in a suit would play only in close shots.

If you are going to quote somebody get the name right you prince of evil. 

TomT

TomT

Number is not a problem, look is. Sigourney didn't look like a glamorous tik tok teen. Isabela Merced looks like Addison Rae. I have nothing against them, but I don't want to see this kind of cast in Alien movie and they are clearly targeting a very specific type for the cast, both lead actresses look like 14 years old with the same height.

They cast 30+ year old as 18 years old in Terminator: Dark Fate, again, because of certain type and look.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 07, 2023, 05:04:45 PMIf you are going to quote somebody get the name right you prince of evil. 
What?)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TomT on Mar 07, 2023, 07:59:08 PMNumber is not a problem, look is. Sigourney didn't look like a glamorous tik tok teen. Isabela Merced looks like Addison Rae. I have nothing against them, but I don't want to see this kind of cast in Alien movie and they are clearly targeting a certain type for the cast.

You're making assumptions based on appearances in other films or publicity. We haven't even seen any of the costume or make-up of these actors in this film.

TomT

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2023, 08:05:19 PMYou make assumptions based on appearances in other films or publicity. We haven't even seen any of the costume or make-up of these actors in this film.
Do you think they are gonna look more mature in the movie? Then what was the point to cast actors that specifically look like teenagers? Clearly with their height, posture and face features they are not gonna make them look like adults and that's not the plan, otherwise they would've cast someone else.

[cancerblack]

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: TomT on Mar 07, 2023, 08:11:24 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 07, 2023, 08:05:19 PMYou make assumptions based on appearances in other films or publicity. We haven't even seen any of the costume or make-up of these actors in this film.
Do you think they are gonna look more mature in the movie? Then what was the point to cast actors that specifically look like teenagers? Clearly with their height, posture and face features they are not gonna make them look like adults and that's not the plan, otherwise they would've cast someone else.

They definitely won't look as nice as their well lit headshots that are meant to show off their features. Lighting and camera work on set can make them look a lot older, or even set the right tone.

I think todays generation literally looks younger than the same age people from the 70's & 80's. I honestly can't tell who's a teen or in their 20's these days as a 35 year old man. A lot here would be complaining about Sigourney being cast if ALIEN were made today.

SiL

Quote from: TomT link=msg=2596426 date=1678180048xAliens is a blockbuster, it would cost at least as much as Prometheus today.
It's not, and never was.

QuoteAlien could cost less than 80 mln, but not by much if it was done as A level production.
Again, not true.

QuoteAlien sets would've been built from scratch too if it was done today, and man in a suit would play only in close shots.
Unless the production designer has access to airline scrap - it's still something productions do - and the director wanted guy in a suit.

There's nothing about Alien that's particularly expensive for a movie. Limited sets. Cgi planet and spaceship these days. It's not a huge production - $40m is entirely feasible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed