Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 316,935 times)

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: pmaz11 on Jun 26, 2022, 03:54:18 AM
Quote from: Doomofman on Jun 25, 2022, 08:19:05 PMThat side on shot already makes the roar look wider than Wolf's (and I actually think this design is going to be closest to Wolf's out of all the designs we've seen before)

I can see those similarities with the way Wolf's face design was maybe. As long as the mandibles can close naturally without seeming too disproportionate. I am still very interested in the result & how it's shot.

Keep maybe seeing how the inner-teeth with this new Feral Predator has multiple teeth on the top & bottom rows. Most original designs (aside Scar in AVP) had the 2 top teeth & several bottom ones. So that might add a new subtle look possibly.

I did try to quickly brighten up some of the trailer shots to see the design more:

https://i.postimg.cc/RVySxQ3b/0859-A167-1-E44-40-A3-BD27-6-C270-B9828-C1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/HsVYNPLy/AFED7563-62-AF-4059-B359-D4-A337-AD8-F4-B.jpg

Yikes.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Ok I have been on this site for years but never asked what qualifies as a Crabator?

SiL

SiL

Anything made by ADI basically.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

That makes sense actually hahaha.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Crabator is a Predator whose mandible effects don't look convincing. They usually move weird and rest in weird positions. They also usually have so much loose rubbery skin around the mandibles that it instantly reveals itself as fake.

ADI is the worst but still a problem in Predators also.

It doesn't matter though, if the predator takes its mask off and looks wonky and fake then basically it's a crabator. It bothers people like Voodoo and I a great deal and some members here hate that it gets discussed so much.

Doomofman

Doomofman

Whenever I see Crabator written here I immediately think of loose skin around the manidbles and mandibles that can't close properly. That's a big difference between the execution of Jungle Hunter and Classic in Predators. Classic looks a lot like Jungle Hunter but his mandibles don't close like the original, they look loose or uneven

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I'm ready to think that Feral is another type of predator, coming from another continent/country, and that his face is different.

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 28, 2022, 12:53:14 PMI'm ready to think that Feral is another type of predator, coming from another continent/country, and that his face is different.

the director said as much.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2022/06/08/dan-trachtenberg-talks-feral-predator-preys-new-predator/

QuoteBut I think this guy's perhaps from a different hemisphere of the planet and a little bit of a different breed. So even his look is a little new, it's familiar, but new. So I'm excited for people, even for diehard fans, to really see something they hadn't seen before."

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Yep, I was aligning myself with that statement.

hoffmanstokes

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 28, 2022, 11:58:27 AMCrabator is a Predator whose mandible effects don't look convincing. They usually move weird and rest in weird positions. They also usually have so much loose rubbery skin around the mandibles that it instantly reveals itself as fake.

ADI is the worst but still a problem in Predators also.

It doesn't matter though, if the predator takes its mask off and looks wonky and fake then basically it's a crabator. It bothers people like Voodoo and I a great deal and some members here hate that it gets discussed so much.

hate to break it to you... but the whole movie is fake.. so

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quotehate to break it to you... but the whole movie is fake.. so
Childish response, bravo.

It's a movie, you want to see great effects and be immersed. When you see a bad effect it takes you out of the experience or looks silly.

No effect is perfect and a lot depends on how it's shot but the original 2 films set a pretty high bar that all the rest have missed.

SiL

SiL

The unmasked effects in Predator 2 aren't that great. The mandibles are stiff on the head Hall and stunt actors wear and the animatronic insert face is cartoonish and goofy as all get out.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: SiL on Jun 28, 2022, 07:28:41 PMThe unmasked effects in Predator 2 aren't that great. The mandibles are stiff on the head Hall and stunt actors wear and the animatronic insert face is cartoonish and goofy as all get out.

I don't mind the mandibles but that insert face is pretty rough. However the difference is I like the movie so I can forgive  ;D . Also they also nail some amazing predator effects and the design of the face is great too.

I would wager that if the movies with crabator were better I could probably give them more of a pass.

SiL

SiL

I  think P2 set what became a longstanding tradition of "Not bad until the mask came off", although the city hunter's design at least is a thing of beauty.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed