Predators 10th Anniversary Retrospective - AvPGalaxy Podcast #111

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 07, 2020, 02:58:50 PM

Author
Predators 10th Anniversary Retrospective - AvPGalaxy Podcast #111 (Read 15,323 times)

seattle24

Yet again, another really great pod, this has helped me through not far off half my working day ;D

I actually share Corp. Hicks enthusiasm for this film, I think it's a hugely great addition to the Predator series and for me, far and away the best sequel. I agree with, I believe it was Xenomorphine's take, that P2 is something of a Steven Seagal 90's-type movie, save for a few scenes, it's not that great...

Predators has a bombastic start (I love the title card) and like all the gents in the pod agree, never lets up from start to finish (aside from Nolan's introduction where I find it does catch a breath, and maybe could have done with tweaks). The cast is brilliant. Mr. Black in my opinion is the best Predator after Jungle Hunter. There is a lot to love!

You know, if there was a bit more financial clout behind this film, it really could have been elevated. Nimrod clearly spent the money perfectly. Imagine what he could have achieved with more?

I also liked the but where you guys lauded KNB, the creature guys. After Stan Winston, they've done the best job in the series by quite a distance.

I would give Predators a really solid 7/10. Very good entry.

Great pod once again!

Corporal Hicks

Thanks, seattle! Much appreciated.

I totally forgot to mention Dan Zimmerman. Predators and AvPR had actually been edited by same guy.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 08, 2020, 09:21:04 AM
It's coming. I've only got so much time in a day, so much will in a week, and only so much neglect the GF will take.

Oh, no complaints whatsoever ! Just good to know it wasn't forgotten

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 08, 2020, 04:50:00 PM
I totally forgot to mention Dan Zimmerman. Predators and AvPR had actually been edited by same guy.

That's ... surprising, to say the least

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 08, 2020, 09:21:04 AM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jul 07, 2020, 08:37:02 PM
That was a good discussion. I don't recall the vitriol in the pre-release. Predators is not a perfect movie, but I like it well enough.

I was a little surprised by it too. I remember all the IMDB morons after the film came out, but re-reading all the responses to the news articles, there was a lot of it. Was embarressing.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 07, 2020, 10:19:35 PM
Lol Xenomorphine I thought you were an old man based on your voice, what a surprise lol. :laugh:

:laugh: He's like 70.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 07, 2020, 11:07:45 PM
I had such a different picture in my head lol. I mean I'm only 34 but man I thought you were this crusty looking slightly overweight old guy lol. I have no idea why ;D

Wow. What a compliment.  :-X  :D

QuoteWeird I agreed with Ridgetop over AP more in this one. Usually its the other way around lol. Thank you guys!

You're allowed to be wrong occasionally.  :P

QuoteHowever I have always loved Brody in this flick, he was the best part for me. Also having recently gone back and watched it I found it much more enjoyable than I remember. Upon release I gave it a 6/10 but now I would also say 8/10.

That's a fair score. How does that compare against Predator 2? What would you give that?

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 08, 2020, 07:57:39 AM
Btw, Corporal, what about AVP2 Marine campaign ? I'm so thirsty for that

It's coming. I've only got so much time in a day, so much will in a week, and only so much neglect the GF will take.

Lol no offense meant to Xenomorphine, just find it so funny. The images we create for in our heads for people when we hear their voices and nothing else.

In terms of quality I still rate P2 an 8/10 but I find it more enjoyable than Predators if that makes sense. I find the suit acting in Predators to be very awkward looking, especially when trying to fight with that single blade. There are great moments in P2 that P's can't touch. The ending on the predator ship in P2 is probably my favorite scene from the entire franchise. The original is still top dawg though imo.

I also disagree with comparing P2 to Seagal film, they share almost nothing in common in terms of acting, story, tone, or fight choreography or even overall quality. I don't see the connection other than perhaps drugs and Gary Busey

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: seattle24 on Jul 08, 2020, 11:53:49 AM
I agree with, I believe it was Xenomorphine's take, that P2 is something of a Steven Seagal 90's-type movie, save for a few scenes, it's not that great...

Honeslty, never thought about P2 that way until now. That is what I like about these podcasts. You learn other perspectives and takes, which is quite great if you ask me.  8)

Having said that, I also liked Xenomorphine's take on Adrien Brody's Royce as a solid character who performs through his body language, like Kate Beckinsale's Selene (Underworld).

Enjoy

Predators has some fun aspects but was cut short by many issues steming from the way fox handled the movie.
P2 could have been made better if we saw the other lost tribe members hunting around the city and if it had not been so baddly edited down to a short but fun ride that also left some questions.
Also the shot of city hunter saying "ugly motherf**ker" still look's cartoonish under the blue light and such a close up.

I also would have liked to have seen city hunter getting high on blow before mass murdering the subway car.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Enjoy on Jul 08, 2020, 11:07:44 PM
P2 could have been made better if we saw the other lost tribe members hunting around the city and if it had not been so baddly edited down to a short but fun ride that also left some questions.

The tribe at the end was a nice bonus, having them scattered during P2 might have been distracting.

Also the shot of city hunter saying "ugly motherf**ker" still look's cartoonish under the blue light and such a close up.

It was the 90's  ;D

I also would have liked to have seen city hunter getting high on blow before mass murdering the subway car.

No thank you.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 08, 2020, 08:51:43 PM
I also disagree with comparing P2 to Seagal film, they share almost nothing in common in terms of acting, story, tone, or fight choreography or even overall quality. I don't see the connection other than perhaps drugs and Gary Busey

What scene or scenes were badly edited down?

Enjoy

You kidding ? Keys upper toso and legs .
Communication over.

Shimmering Canopy

U guys did a great podcast - thanks so much for all your time and effort to keep this site going 👍👍

love Predators - seen it so many times... and like Xenomorphine says, it has something that sets it apart.. I can watch it anytime. For some reason also, I'm really fine if we never hear again from Royce/Isabella, don't know why - I should be demanding to know their fate, but dunno why it just doesnt bother me.. just a great, self containd story. I'd be happy if future pred films were in this 'format' - and so should be disney - as relatively cheap..?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Enjoy on Jul 09, 2020, 09:39:18 PM
You kidding ? Keys upper toso and legs .

Where you lost me is your statement of bad editing resulted in a "short but fun ride"  One can argue that the editing of the presumptive gore in that scene ultimately leaves viewers perplexed in regards to where Keyes' head ended up, i.e. badly edited, but I don't believe cutting gore in the film would equate enough to a shorter feeling film, other than technically. And remember, the smart-disc Keyes death scene was in slow motion to boot!

Now keeping Danny's funeral scene intact, for instance? That would have elongated the experience. :)

QuoteCommunication over.

:P

j0nesy

awesome episode as always! also pulled up youtube to check out the art in eric's virtual background, and it was worth it

i agree with pretty much the whole gang; i do enjoy predators a good bit, and i put it side by side with predator 2 in terms of its place in the series

Enjoy

Nope. I did not read your post. Sorry . Nothing personal.

Kradan

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 07, 2020, 09:51:39 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Jul 07, 2020, 05:43:58 PM
Oh yes! Voodoo is back ! 2 and half hours ? I'm already in love. And I finally get to see Xenomorphine's face ? Man, it's like Christmas !  :D

THE APOCALYPSE COMETH! :o

https://66.media.tumblr.com/5fa11f3961681b1bb9c366ea0d28ab74/tumblr_nsqz005bSE1uz17elo2_r1_500.gif

I've just realised that there's Voodoo sitting in right corner

426Buddy

Quote from: Enjoy on Jul 09, 2020, 11:03:23 PM
Nope. I did not read your post. Sorry . Nothing personal.

Why come to a discussion board at all?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed