Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead"

Started by Darkness, Jun 03, 2017, 04:34:16 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead" (Read 48,689 times)

Kel G 426

A smart retcon would be better by definition.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 04, 2017, 01:26:21 AM
Quote from: Adam802 on Jun 04, 2017, 01:19:42 AM
damn it, Ridley........*sigh.    Prometheus and Covenant are both terrible Alien movies.

Also, as much as I find A:C to be lacking, it sure gave this franchise a well-deserved vitamin shot, opening up for new possibilities as angles concerning the Alien as well as the universe it inhabits. We needed something fresh, a twist - not incestuous nercophilia.

Very much agree with you on this. Feels like we haven't got an Alien movie like this since A3 and A:R. I really like Covenant and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it afterwards considering my horrible time with Prometheus and all the issues I had with it personally. Covenant has restored my faith and trust in Ridley. But I have to say. As a fan of Sigourney Weaver they REALLY badly need to use her in one last film before she gets too old because her age is actually starting to show now and her physicality has definitely went down a few pegs since her Aliens '86 days.

Give the characters who are the anchors of this franchise a proper send-off. That's all I want to see as a fan. I embrace all the new lore and everything. I just don't feel like any character who has solidified a foothold into the story of the franchise ever got the ending they deserved. I know the Alien is meant to leave a trail of death and destruction in its path but I also think a good conclusive wrap up to important character's are right to do for audiences and appropriate for any storyline in general.

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jun 03, 2017, 11:24:11 PM
I want this project to come to fruition. I really don't care about the Prometheus movies. I've never thought of the Alien series as "Ridley Scotts' franchise" and it truly isn't. He does not own the rights to the characters/stories, those belong to 20th Century Fox. He only directed 1 film until 2012, not like he was involved in every movie.

For Pete's sake, just do the film before the actors and actresses die! Then ANY chance of this movie being made will be dead, for sake of consistency. If it sucks, so be it. Didn't the majority want a second AvP film? We didn't know how awful it would be til afterwards. However, if Cameron, Weaver AND Scott all seemed to like the movie script, isn't that saying something from the people that brought these characters to life?

This 100%. It's disappointing it won't be made but I'm sure something similar to it will be made one day.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jun 04, 2017, 01:48:00 AM
A smart retcon would be better by definition.

Sure, a retcon can be smart, but by default a retcon can't be smart...

But I see what you did there though... Good one, hehe  ;)

newagescamartist

If Weaver must be in another Alien movie, I'd like to see an actual sequel to Resurrection. Maybe she could give birth to another newborn. lol, I kid...I kid...

FiorinaFury161

Farewell Alien 5.

For a long while anyways.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

People that say Alien 5 was never a thing. Yes it was Neil wrote a script for it and did a lot of concept art and Fox even greenlighted the project and Neil signed up to direct it. So how is that not ever a thing?

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR on Jun 04, 2017, 02:57:11 AM
People that say Alien 5 was never a thing. Yes it was Neil wrote a script for it and did a lot of concept art and Fox even greenlighted the project and Neil signed up to direct it. So how is that not ever a thing?

You answered your own question. Just ignore them.

RidgeTop

People keep saying this would've been a retcon, it would've been an alternate-con.

genocyber

Ridley Scott: How dare this man pay tribute to James Camerons movie and not MY movie. Alien isn't supposed to be about action or horr, it's about biblical references, philosophy, and drinking in Michael Fassbender's perfect face. If he wants to make a sequel then I'll make three!

newagescamartist

Quote from: genocyber on Jun 04, 2017, 05:45:38 AM
Ridley Scott: How dare this man pay tribute to James Camerons movie and not MY movie. Alien isn't supposed to be about action or horr, it's about biblical references, philosophy, and drinking in Michael Fassbender's perfect face. If he wants to make a sequel then I'll make three!

I might be in the minority, but I love the biblical ( and literature ) references, philosophy, and Michael Fassbender in the new series.

Whos_Nick

It's really obvious Scott didn't want this movie to happen.

Agent

Agent

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jun 04, 2017, 06:47:38 AM

I might be in the minority, but I love the biblical ( and literature ) references, philosophy, and Michael Fassbender in the new series.

I liked David in Prometheus. I really like Bladerunner and see what Scott is going for/trying to do.

With that said ---- Covenant it just below mediocre, convoluted , disjointed movie (which I hate most about new movies) + amped up David ten times and made the centre figure. The opening with Guy Pierce and M. Fassbander was shot beautifully , but the "philosophical" stuff was hitting you on the face with a brick, which continued throughout the rest of the movie.

People here repeating stuff like: "Ridley was right, the beast is cooked" when the most interesting parts (not saying much) were the build up to the backbuster and the field battle (basically xenos).

About the more grand scheme (that you mentioned) and not surprisingly - the other interesting thing was the flashback which showed Giger designs.

Where is the grand scheme and the interesting Engineer homeworld? Is that all they could come up with? A wide shot/s of bland architecture and 3 heads in the most uninspired "quarters", basically a cave?

With what David engineered the alien or the close form of it, cause I couldn't clearly see the bio-mechanical design? With a wooden set of cups and plates, some glass spheres and candles as a source of light? hah

Such a good Alien movie, what an interesting sci-fi design and worldbuilding.

Blomkamp's movie/idea may be more narrow in its core - but I think he is more passionate about the alien, sci-fi world/design and atmosphere which are the cornerstone of the Alien franchise.

I hope he still gets to make his film in the near future.

zoidy

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Jun 04, 2017, 07:09:13 AM
It's really obvious Scott didn't want this movie to happen.
Is it? Amazing the psychic powers some seem to have.

But assuming that assumption is true, so what? You think Ridley dictates Fox movie decisions? He really doesn't. People here claim Ridley has prevented any future alien films by making (in their view) a poor film in Covenant, and before that Prometheus, yet he has the power to also prevent a different film?

He's a magician, that Ridley! He can do everything!  ;D

newagescamartist

Quote from: Agent on Jun 04, 2017, 07:38:20 AM
Quote from: newagescamartist on Jun 04, 2017, 06:47:38 AM

I liked David in Prometheus. I really like Bladerunner and see what Scott is going for/trying to do.

With that said ---- Covenant it just below mediocre, convoluted , disjointed movie (which I hate most about new movies) + amped up David ten times and made the centre figure. The opening with Guy Pierce and M. Fassbander was shot beautifully , but the "philosophical" stuff was hitting you on the face with a brick, which continued throughout the rest of the movie.

People here repeating stuff like: "Ridley was right, the beast is cooked" when the most interesting parts (not saying much) were the build up to the backbuster and the field battle (basically xenos).

About the more grand scheme (that you mentioned) and not surprisingly - the other interesting thing was the flashback which showed Giger designs.

Where is the grand scheme and the interesting Engineer homeworld? Is that all they could come up with? A wide shot/s of bland architecture and 3 heads in the most uninspired "quarters", basically a cave?

With what David engineered the alien or the close form of it, cause I couldn't clearly see the bio-mechanical design? With a wooden set of cups and plates, some glass spheres and candles as a source of light? hah

Such a good Alien movie, what an interesting sci-fi design and worldbuilding.

Blomkamp's movie/idea may be more narrow in its core - but I think he is more passionate about the alien, sci-fi world/design and atmosphere which are the cornerstone of the Alien franchise.

I hope he still gets to make his film in the near future.

You don't even know what his story is. Almost everything you said here is based on assumption and opinion. Can't we enjoy Ridley's movies without it becoming an insult to someone else? I like the Alien series, and I happen to enjoy the new direction. I'd love to hear what the proposed story for Alien 5 is, but I don't think anyone here knows. If they're privy to that information, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it seeing as we're fans. Could be great, could be horrible, but to say that he has more passion about the series than Ridley Scott is kind of ridiculous. I'm all for sharing opinions and speculation, but comments about who has more passion is silly.

BringbackJonesy!

Too bad.  If nothing else, if Blomkamp's movie had gone ahead, it would have been an interesting exercise in creating an 'alternate' onscreen version of events to what happened in ALIEN 3 (and then subsequently what followed in ALIEN RESURRECTION too).

While there's a certain re-watchability factor in those 2 movies for me, I will only ever be able to look on them as mere 'hypersleep nightmares' which Ripley endures after ALIENS concludes - and there's several problematic continuity errors at the start of ALIEN 3 which makes this very easy to imagine - so it's not as if I required Blomkamp's movie to keep Ripley & co. alive in my imagination anyway. :P   

And as far as the 2 AvP movies and the ongoing PROMETHEUS storyline go, I'lI just continue to look on them as completey unconnected, 'alternate' Expanded Universe-type movies to the original storyline of the ALIEN/ALIENS combination...which merely show possible 'alternate' scenarios using some of their characters and source material.  This way, I can better enjoy whatever contradictions Ridley decides on with his current involvement in the franchise.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed