Reassembling Opinions, Talking Alien 3 With Alien Anthology Producer Charles de Lauzirika – AvPGalaxy Podcast #107

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 11, 2020, 02:54:56 PM

Author
Reassembling Opinions, Talking Alien 3 With Alien Anthology Producer Charles de Lauzirika – AvPGalaxy Podcast #107 (Read 10,444 times)

Keyes

Did Charles say editor Terry Rawlings recorded the intro for the Special Edition on DVD? I've not seen that on my set.

Lauzirika

Looks I misspoke, re: a Terry Rawlings intro. I just checked my Quadrilogy DVD of A3, and indeed, there's no Rawlings intro there. I feel like we shot one, but I guess it didn't make the cut for some reason. Interestingly, there is a text intro, where the term "Assembly Cut" is used -- so now we know where that name for the long cut of A3 came from.

Sorry for any confusion. Like I said...it's been 17 years!

DaveT937

Yes Corp - fairly sure I heard them say it would be a good idea on their Aliens commentary track. I was only listening to it last week and then I saw this and thought the timing was pretty serendipitous!

I wouldn't worry - you snooze, you lose! As you've said, this must've been in the planning for ages and theirs was an off the cuff comment.

Kradan

Quote from: DaveT937 on May 12, 2020, 09:24:54 PM
Yes Corp - fairly sure I heard them say it would be a good idea on their Aliens commentary track. I was only listening to it last week and then I saw this and thought the timing was pretty serendipitous!

I wouldn't worry - you snooze, you lose! As you've said, this must've been in the planning for ages and theirs was an off the cuff comment.

Same

dinosauriac

I've been loving the guests on these podcasts lately, some great stuff. Just a suggestion though, perhaps embed the YouTube version in the article as well as the audio file? It would be a lot more convenient to be able to watch it right here, instead of having a link to the vid buried amongst all the other underlined text at the bottom.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: DaveT937 on May 12, 2020, 09:24:54 PM

Ah. I haven't listened to the Aliens commentary yet. But regardless, I wouldn't have done tried to scoop them or anything. I like the PO crew.

Quote from: dinosauriac on May 12, 2020, 11:25:54 PM
I've been loving the guests on these podcasts lately, some great stuff. Just a suggestion though, perhaps embed the YouTube version in the article as well as the audio file? It would be a lot more convenient to be able to watch it right here, instead of having a link to the vid buried amongst all the other underlined text at the bottom.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Duly noted. I shall endeavour to do that going forward. Have you switched to watching the video versions? And thank you! Glad you're enjoying.  :)

Quote from: Lauzirika on May 12, 2020, 08:27:14 PM
Sorry for any confusion. Like I said...it's been 17 years!

No worries, Charles! We all get mixed up.  :)

HuDaFuK

About halfway through so far and really enjoying it. It's scratching my itch for some more info on the actual creation of the extended version - about the only criticism I can think to make regarding Lauzirikia's documentaries is I really would've liked them to have a section near the end that discusses the creation of the alternative cuts, especially in the case of 3.

Janek

Janek

One thing I wanted your opinion on is do you guys think its understandable that Fincher is still bitter about the film? CDL gave some insight into how it was trying to communicate with Fincher during the production of the Assembly Cut, I really liked that bit of info.

When 85 says "You're going to need a bigger cage than that". Was that scene in the theatrical version or was it left on the cutting room floor? Would have loved to see it in the AC.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Janek on May 13, 2020, 12:17:09 PM
One thing I wanted your opinion on is do you guys think its understandable that Fincher is still bitter about the film? CDL gave some insight into how it was trying to communicate with Fincher during the production of the Assembly Cut, I really liked that bit of info.

I can't fault Fincher really. It was a truly awful experience for him. It'd be nice if he was made aware of how the AC has turned a lot of opinions - admittedly not all - but it'd be nice to know if he knew.

QuoteWhen 85 says "You're going to need a bigger cage than that". Was that scene in the theatrical version or was it left on the cutting room floor? Would have loved to see it in the AC.

It was in the Workprint, the VHS copy of the test screening cut that Charles mentioned.

Valaquen

CDL gave some insight into how it was trying to communicate with Fincher during the production of the Assembly Cut, I really liked that bit of info.

Charles wrote about it before, I archived it here: https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/finding-fincher/

Might be more info at the link.

Corporal Hicks

He's talked about it a few times. I was hesitant to ask because I didn't want to bore Charles, but I wanted it in this episode for completion sake as we said. There's a full interview with Charles from Digital Bits from back in the day (Val's excerpts are from that) that is well worth your time.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2020, 01:06:39 PM
He's talked about it a few times. I was hesitant to ask because I didn't want to bore Charles, but I wanted it in this episode for completion sake as we said.

It's a great wee story so I'm glad you asked. Fincher talking about Alien 3 indepth is a sort of Holy Grail.

Janek

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2020, 12:58:31 PM
I can't fault Fincher really. It was a truly awful experience for him. It'd be nice if he was made aware of how the AC has turned a lot of opinions - admittedly not all - but it'd be nice to know if he knew.

Yeah I agree, always bothers me that we get no comments from him on the film other than "not my movie".

Quote from: Valaquen on May 13, 2020, 01:05:05 PM
CDL gave some insight into how it was trying to communicate with Fincher during the production of the Assembly Cut, I really liked that bit of info.

Charles wrote about it before, I archived it here: https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/finding-fincher/

Might be more info at the link.

This is great, cheers Val.

Kradan

Quote from: Janek on May 13, 2020, 01:45:46 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2020, 12:58:31 PM

Yeah I agree, always bothers me that we get no comments from him on the film other than "not my movie".

That sucks, indeed

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2020, 10:17:00 AM
About halfway through so far and really enjoying it.

About 1/4 in, though the Corporal does tend to waffle on a bit. Does Charles also get to talk a bit later on?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed