AVPR Directors Cut

Started by genocyber, Dec 20, 2017, 02:27:06 AM

Author
AVPR Directors Cut (Read 6,185 times)

genocyber

genocyber

I feel that AVPR was never given its proper due, and that it deserves a directors cut. With the Alien and Predator franchise constantly being dug up for future content and re releases and repackaging, a new version of AVPR is very much needed. Bring back the two Struase directors and give them the opportunity to release a more clean version of the film that isn't so dark, add in some deleted scenes and re edit it to flow quicker in narrative. Alien 3 had two different versions made, why not AVPR?

SM

SM

There are two versions of AvPR.  The 94 minute theatrical and 101 unrated cut.

SiL

SiL

We had this, dude. It's the unrated cut.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

It's even worse.

genocyber

genocyber

Quote from: SM on Dec 20, 2017, 02:38:07 AM
There are two versions of AvPR.  The 94 minute theatrical and 101 unrated cut.
From what I recall their were two versions of the film completed, with the brightened version sent off to the trailer company and the darkened version sent off for the actual release. Their was also a number of deleted scenes not found on the unrated cut. A second do over would also give us more of an inside look into ADI's involvement, the writers take on it, and if FOX wanted to, put in some money to perhaps add new scenes of the Predator home world and to re-edit and reshoot the cheap ending to what was initially put on script of the Yutani corporation having a bunker filled with salvaged remains of the Aliens in tubes.

SM

SM

ADI released a book about making AvP:R.  The Blu-ray has a commentary with the Strauses and Davis.  And ADI (but they sounded a bit bored).

What if the Directors don't like the stuff that was left out of the unrated cut?  And what would extra scenes of the homeworld be for?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

The ADI guys are hysterical in their commentary. "You can buy our book... Where?" "Uhhh... Amazon dot com."

As to hearing what the writer has to say... I don't think I need anymore insight into Shane Salerno's mind. I'm sure there's a lot of nodding going on in there.

genocyber

genocyber

Quote from: SM on Dec 20, 2017, 03:15:52 AMWhat if the Directors don't like the stuff that was left out of the unrated cut?  And what would extra scenes of the homeworld be for?
I imagine the directors didn't like a lot of what was shot, hence giving them a second chance to get back into the editing room to recut the film to make the pacing better, especially now after they would come back with new experience. New footage of the Predator homeworld would give a deeper look into the Predators that we only got the smallest taste of. Maybe even have a call back to the first AVP of the Elder stand in his way at first as the two glare each other down, until he relents and steps aside. A silent gesture of respect for his mission. A scene like this would give some kind of continuing thread through the movies to connect it together.
Also I heard their was certain edits made that could have given the Predator a bit more of a struggle when manhandling the two xenomorphs in the sewer, and more hospital scenes. Add some digital layering to make some of the gore splutters look less cheap...anything is possible if given the budget to polish.

SiL

SiL

From the sounds of it they're as happy as they'll ever be with the extended version and aren't interested in revisiting it.

There was no extra footage to make Wolf struggle more while holding the Aliens; instead that it could've been tightened in the edit to make the Aliens seen less like dolls.

The stuff in the hospital was with the two children, and they were cut for good reasons.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Namely, their acting sucked?

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I had to turn off the ADI commentary because of how bored they sounded. This movie really doesn't deserve another chance.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 20, 2017, 03:04:22 PM
Namely, their acting sucked?
The scenes were rushed when they were filming, and they didn't need even more characters than the already were.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Director cuts are overrated.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 20, 2017, 02:49:34 AM
It's even worse.

The blond girl's death is much better in the unrated cut.

SiL

SiL

It's much worse. Everyone else's reactions becomes hopelessly underacted with the extra gore.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed