Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 81,107 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Difference is, Predators didn't actually overwrite anything. If this film does what some of us think it's going to do, it's going to explicitly overwrite films by bringing dead characters back into the fold.

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

but there was no mention of P2 ,but there was with Predator. it ignores it.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Ignoring =/= retconning. The events of Predator 2 weren't relevant in any way to the story of Predators, and them happening doesn't add or subtract from what was seen on screen in the 2010 film.

Each Predator movie is pretty much a standalone film, anyways. You can watch any of them and "get it." They're not at all heavy on story progression. Each film expands the mythology a bit, but does it in such a way that you don't need to have seen the previous installments to follow along.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 26, 2015, 02:15:34 PMAs I said, it could mean anything. I'm more inclined to think he means tonally more than anything else at this point.

I agree that what he said could mean either at this point. He was (likely deliberately) vague.

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

Robert Rodriguez said it him self mate and you know it... but any way it sounds like Alien3 and Resurrection are going to be rubbed out and quite frankly  I love to see Ripley and Hicks back together..

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: shakermakerman on Feb 26, 2015, 02:35:11 PMRobert Rodriguez said it him self mate and you know it...

Robert Rodriguez didn't make the film. Or write it.

The Bond films never used to reference the previous one. That doesn't make every new entry a retcon.

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

did i say he did?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: shakermakerman on Feb 26, 2015, 02:35:11 PM
Robert Rodriguez said it him self mate and you know it... but any way it sounds like Alien3 and Resurrection are going to be rubbed out and quite frankly  I love to see Ripley and Hicks back together..

He did, but nothing in the film really confirmed that. There was nothing in the film that contradicted P2, and Antal, unlike Rodriguez, acknowledged P2 during the pre-release promotion.

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

Oh well we will have to wait and see, think the not knowing is killing us all right now  :D.

zuzuki

zuzuki

Retconing is lazy as f**k. Fox did the whole quadrilogy thing,everybody was pleased with that release. It was canon. Now if they'll ignore Alien3 and A:R they'll re-release a blu-ray pack but this time with Alien, Aliens and Bloomkamps film? Or if you want to follow the story and Ripley journey they'll send you to watch just half of the quadrilogy and ignore the rest?

I don't mind retcons in movies that don't use the same characters. So if Alien 3 was with brand new characters and ignore Ripleys storyline and Bishop than yeah, retcon that shit away, but they did use those characters, Sigourney Weaver was blabbing that her characters death was a proper send-off so i don't want them now to ignore that.

If they do this what else will they modify in the future? Will anybody ever respect continuity again in the franchise? And what if this movie will be sub-par, will it be worthy?

Personally i don't want a geriatric Sigourney Weaver kicking ass. Arnold does a shitty job fine by his own. BUT  if they plan to use her than have old Ripley-8 with some strike force go to the alien-engineers home-world to wipe the threat permanently. You can have Prometheus 2 set place on the engineers home-world continuing in the tone of the first movie, have Shaw die there or send a radio message with the location of the planet, then jump hundreds of years in the future( time for the message to reach Earth) with Ripley-8 arriving on the planet to finish the job. And maybe they can write Ripley-8 in a way that she regained her memories or old way-of thinking/humanity so she can act like the original character and not a soulless terminator like in A:R

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Why can't they package all the films together? A potential retcon doesn't make them any less relevant. If you're watching the films it will be just as ingesting - if not more interesting - to watch all of them (regardless of "canonicity") to see how the franchise has altered and reinvented itself over time.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Someone mentioned Halloween - they've just done a DVD set of that with all the films, even though H20 retconned a whole bunch of them.

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

Sorry but i hate everything about Alien Resurrection and Ripley 8 , as for as im concerned they can nuke whole thing from orbit! even if it has to take out Alien3 also (i do like alien 3)..  :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/feb/26/alien-neill-blomkamp-sigourney-weaver

If it's true - which I have no reason doubt - then yeah, this is likely to be a retcon after that comment.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: shakermakerman on Feb 26, 2015, 02:42:12 PM
Oh well we will have to wait and see, think the not knowing is killing us all right now  :D.

No worries.  The not knowing part may only last for a few more years until Alien 3 Take 2 hits theaters.

Hey I know we're all in strung out shape.  But stay frosty!

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 26, 2015, 03:09:13 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/feb/26/alien-neill-blomkamp-sigourney-weaver

If it's true - which I have no reason doubt - then yeah, this is likely to be a retcon after that comment.

That's awesome!!  I guess we don't have to wait years to get confirmation.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed