Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2015, 08:58:36 PM

Author
Alien 5 to be "Genetic Sibling" to Alien & Aliens (Read 79,943 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bender on Feb 26, 2015, 10:25:54 AM
Thanks for clarifying that it is nowhere stated that it will rewrite Alien 3 and 4. IGN claimed it and and everybody keeps repeating it like the truth.

That's been pissing me off since I first saw the news.

Quote from: Taxemic on Feb 26, 2015, 10:07:15 AM
I can't see the video as it's private. However I think this is good news. I'm not prepared to let go of Alien3 yet but f*** Ressurection.

It certainly wasn't yesterday. Odd. I'll see if I can find an alternate.

AvP4evr

AvP4evr

On a first note I personally am a little skeptical about seeing how an older Ripley and Hicks will be a "genetic sibling" to films that showed them at younger age  ??? But I'm staying openly optimistic about the new idea. I like all the Alien films and the different takes on each.

On a second note, the film will have Aliens in it that makes it watch worthy in my view!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Thing is that artwork might not even be representative of the actual story. It doesn't always. I think if you take that artwork as gospel to what he's doing you might be disappointed.

I can quite easily see the phrase "genetic sibling" being as simple as tone.

JPredator

JPredator

in my opinion, the only reason to retcon alien 3 is to make good on the promise of the previous two's struggle.namely do an adaption of earth war. this would be the alternate alien 3 and the only real logical reason to retcon the deaths of hicks and newt to show what could of happend.

alien 3 is not going anywhere and i am not upset with the prospect of having an alternate take. my only gripe would be if they go through all the trouble to retcon alien 3 with an inferior film....which is very likely.

i do think this film will be a retcon despite the lack of confirmation. weaver's comments saying"I would love to take Ripley out of orbiting around in space and give a proper finish to what was such an excellent story" make me think of where aliens left off on the sulaco. keep in mind, film makers and actors rehearse these answers before interviews and what they say is very deliberate.

from that i see them going the whole ripley, hicks and newt as a family unit route. like i said i am not opposed to that as i have alien3 and nothing can take that away from me but i just want a great film.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 26, 2015, 11:07:58 AMThing is that artwork might not even be representative of the actual story. It doesn't always. I think if you take that artwork as gospel to what he's doing you might be disappointed.

Blomkamp has actually said the concept for the film changed after talking to Weaver. Of course, we don't know if the artwork is from before or after those changes were made...

robbritton

robbritton

I LOVE Alien 3. I absolutely adore Alien 3. Despite that, I am in no way bothered if they want to go, "Oh it's a hypersleep dream" and write it out of continuity. They could even have some of that Prometheus dream footage of the events of three and four on some monitor to show what's going on. it's fine.

Because, they're artworks, and that's all they ever were or will be. Any continuity is already shredded by the egg on the Sulaco and the different cryotubes and all the rest of it. A new take doesn't erase the old, and these things can be enjoyed in tandem. They're not a real world, it really doesn't matter if people want to go in and muddle with bits, provided they create something wonderful out of that. Colonial Marines is grim because it was rubbish, not because of what it set out to achieve. Likewise Isolation is brilliant, because it's brilliant. It's easier to accept the timeline addition because the piece as a whole is so wonderful.

But look, until someone explicitly says "Michael Biehn is in this film, playing the same part he did in Aliens" I think assuming that it is all retcon is a bit premature. That was just some concept art, potentially from before he shared the idea with Weaver. It could easily all be set after A:R yet.*

(To let Michael Biehn actually get his due in a film the filmmaker really cares about would be nice after all these years, though. I'll feel pretty bad for the guy if all this speculation leads to yet another, "sorry Mike! see you in the B-pics!".)

EDIT: I hadn't read the full quotes at the time of writing. The full bit does suggest the retcon more than I realised, so while I'm still cautious to call it fact, it does seem likely.
"I want this film to feel like it is literally the genetic sibling of Aliens, so it's Alien, Aliens and then this film"
http://comicbook.com/2015/02/26/neill-blomkamps-alien-movie-will-be-a-sequel-to-aliens/

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

I am very dispaointed that he is gonna ignore Alien 3 and Resurrection, they may have their flaws but they are a part of the franchise and retconing them is an insult to the fans and the franchise itself. Ill stay a little optimistic right now as we still know very little about it but I will remain disappointed until I am convinced its a good decision.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 11:21:18 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 26, 2015, 11:07:58 AMThing is that artwork might not even be representative of the actual story. It doesn't always. I think if you take that artwork as gospel to what he's doing you might be disappointed.

Blomkamp has actually said the concept for the film changed after talking to Weaver. Of course, we don't know if the artwork is from before or after those changes were made...

Evidently it was after.

Blomkamp spoke to Weaver in early January 2014 on the Chappie set. The artwork was only commissioned during Chappie's post-production phase.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 26, 2015, 11:40:56 AMEvidently it was after.

Blomkamp spoke to Weaver in early January 2014 on the Chappie set. The artwork was only commissioned during Chappie's post-production phase.

I dunno, I still think it would be unusual for them to release artwork of stuff they're actively pursuing. Studios like to keep that kinda thing under wraps.

TimmyTurnersDad

TimmyTurnersDad

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 12:13:46 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 26, 2015, 11:40:56 AMEvidently it was after.

I dunno, I still think it would be unusual for them to release artwork of stuff they're actively pursuing. Studios like to keep that kinda thing under wraps.

That'd be because Blomkamp released the artwork before he'd even approached the studio about it, I think. Remember, this was something he was initially plotting out in private with Sigourney.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 26, 2015, 12:13:46 PM

When Blomkamp released that artwork no agreement or deal with Fox had been signed yet.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. It's why you'll generally never see draft scripts that have been making the rounds actually turn into a film. It's why we'll never see Peter Brigg's AvP.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

People said the same thing about Deadpool, and yet here it is! It's a comin' like a train in the night...!  :laugh:

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

I smell retcon all the way.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Retcon time, retcon time. ... gotta rewrite all those poorly received sequels and uh, in order to do that, we've got to retcon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed