Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 181,207 times)

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

The dark ages for the series began quite some time ago  :D

It's not like Fox was on a winning streak with the AVPs ,The Predator and arguably the prequels.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 20, 2019, 09:17:51 PM
Quote from: D88M on Mar 20, 2019, 08:38:36 PM
A sad day, the monopoly disney making is terrible, not only fro ma legal standpoint but certainly from an artistic one too, given that it destroys everything it touches.

Would you have preferred the ineptly mismanaged Sony? How about the company responsible for SyFy? If memory serves right, those were basically the other two leading alternatives.

Bah, horrible alternatives.

XENOMORPHOSIS

A new era begins for better or for worse, Will Disney Allow Fox to follow through on Alien Prequels/Alien Sequels, Predator Sequels, AVP Cross overs. Or reboot both franchises entirely, only time will tell.

Naginata

Naginata

The pearl-clutching in this thread is hilarious.

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 20, 2019, 08:55:19 PM
Indeed. Why A/P has to be screwed up just because of Marvel fans? It's unfair.

What in God's name does this sentence even mean? It's so bizarre and random.

Huggs

It's not like the franchise has been in good hands.

I'm open to oblivion at this point. We've already received perfection.

Kradan

Quote from: Naginata on Mar 20, 2019, 09:36:52 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Mar 20, 2019, 08:55:19 PM
Indeed. Why A/P has to be screwed up just because of Marvel fans? It's unfair.

What in God's name are you talking about? Like, I literally don't understand what that sentence means; it's a complete non-sequitur.

Really? Not intentional. Don't mind me talking bullshit sometimes.

Naginata

Naginata

It's not that I disagree with what you said; it's that I have no opinion whatsoever because I don't understand what you said. Like, what does Marvel have to do with anything? Because of the X-Men franchise? How does that 'ruin' A/P? What point were you trying to make? It was just three random statements, and it confused the shit out of me, lol.

No offense intended, you understand; I'm not being mean, just trying to understand the post so I can so I can say something more substantive than "... huh?"  :P

Kradan

Well, i meant that (at least IMO) a lot more money and creative effort will be spent on Marvel stuff than on A/P because it is considered as more profitable.

Are you a Marvel fan by the way? Just curious

XENOMORPHOSIS

@ Kradan

To a point, I see how there's concern that Disney/Fox would have little regard for the Brands however there's still a market and active fan base.

It would be ideal for Disney/Fox to be cautionary with their budget only spending whats needed not going over budget. Two hundred million dollar budgets doesn't guarantee quality. If they utilize the appropriate creative team they could reclaim the glory that the early Alien and Predator movies have accomplished. Unlikely but still a possibility.

Voodoo Magic

A first causality announced about an hour ago likely related to the Disney takeover.

The Predator community ap is closing, and moving to web based.

Naginata

Naginata

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 20, 2019, 10:06:15 PM
Well, i meant that (at least IMO) a lot more money and creative effort will be spent on Marvel stuff than on A/P because it is considered as more profitable.

Are you a Marvel fan by the way? Just curious

They are more profitable. That's not an opinion, it's just a fact. A/P are R-rated science-fiction horror films with major sequel-itus issues and a bleak tone. "Good-looking super hero wins the day in spectacular action sequence while saying funny shit" is naturally gonna sell more tickets than "metrosexual android kills everyone with dick monsters because the gods are dead and the universe hates you."

I mean, I know which I prefer...  ;D

... But for a general audience, the latter is a tougher sell than the former. And the thing is, that's true regardless of whether Disney owns Fox - you'll never see an Alien movie with a $400 million budget (plus advertising blitz) because no Alien movie will ever pull in $2 billion at the box office. That was true pre-buyout, and it'll still be true going forward.

So, like... what's changed, really?

As for Marvel movies? Eh, they're fine. The formula is getting pretty stale, and there are definite problems with how over-produced they feel (also, Christ is the color palette ugly), but in general they're well-made superhero movies. My objections to 'the MCU' are more about Disney's monopoly on entertainment than the movies themselves. I don't like the 'movies-by-assembly-line' aesthetic they've come to represent, and I don't want one company holding all the cards in entertainment. 

But again, I don't think Alien or Predator are going to be in worse shape than they already are as a consequence of being indirectly owned by said company.

Richman678

Think they will keep it? Think they will sell it?

Huggs

Quote from: Richman678 on Mar 21, 2019, 12:03:22 AM
Think they will keep it? Think they will sell it?

They'll keep it and shelve it indefinitely.

Naginata

... Until they figure out how they can make money with it. I give it a couple years, tops.

Perfect-Organism

I think we're about to enter into a new golden era.

[cancerblack]

I think we're likely to see an uptick in content, how good any of it'll be is likely as much of a dice roll as it's always been.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed