Was Lambert raped by the Alien?

Started by Ellen Ripley, Nov 02, 2007, 07:42:37 PM

Author
Was Lambert raped by the Alien? (Read 226,958 times)

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 16, 2007, 01:24:24 AM
Fight or flight isn't conjecture.  Try google.  Or a psychology book.
Except that Lambert neither fought nor flew.  I guess 'frozen in fear' could be shoehorned into the 'flight' part of the definition, but it's a stretch.  It's more like "Fight, flight, or fright."

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I consider myself a pretty aggressive person.  Sometimes the red vision overrides common sense in my case and gets me in trouble.  That said, I don't presume to know how I would act in a certain situation until it actually occurs.  I lift heavy weights and used to box, I don't find any one person particularly scary, but that said, if somebody pointed a gun at me, would I freak out?

Who knows.  Maybe, maybe not.

My grandfather said that while fighting in france and germany in WWII that you didn't know who was going to be the brave one on the battlefield.  The little mousy f**kup in boot could be the superheroic drag you out from behind enemy lines type guy during combat, and the toughest meanest mofo in boot, could be the biggest sissy when the fighting occurs.  Sometimes it'd even change from battle to battle.  Human nature is such that its only constant is its unpredictability.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Nov 16, 2007, 05:42:40 AM
Except that Lambert neither fought nor flew.  I guess 'frozen in fear' could be shoehorned into the 'flight' part of the definition, but it's a stretch.  It's more like "Fight, flight, or fright."

flight covers the fear aspect of a threatening situation.

SM

SM

QuoteIt's more like "Fight, flight, or fright."

In which ones pants are filled with "shite".

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 16, 2007, 05:47:36 AM
flight covers the fear aspect of a threatening situation.

So 'fight' covers the aggressive, offensive reaction.  And 'flight' covers...absolutely everything else?

I don't pretend to know much about the subject, but how does flight cover the idea of someone being frozen in fear?  Flight within ones own mind? 

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Flight is basically the minds reaction to withdraw from the conflict.  It can either physically remove you from the scenario, or it can make you pretend your not in the scenario.

I should mention that this all comes from my community college psych teacher.  Its possible that fight or flight covers a broader range of different reactions but he just compacted them together to make it more understandable to his students.

Kind of like autism vs autism spectrum disorders.

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: SM on Nov 16, 2007, 05:38:24 AM
Gotta love hindsight.

Why didn't those dumbass space truckers KNOW they were going to be eaten by a 8 foot monster??
I know that if I ever went into space my ass would have some weapons.  Otherwise I'm staying on Earth.  Lol.

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: SM on Nov 16, 2007, 05:48:28 AM
QuoteIt's more like "Fight, flight, or fright."

In which ones pants are filled with "shite".
Oh man! 

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: The Diesel on Nov 16, 2007, 06:04:28 AM
Gotta love hindsight.

Why didn't those dumbass space truckers KNOW they were going to be eaten by a 8 foot monster??
I know that if I ever went into space my ass would have some weapons.  Otherwise I'm staying on Earth.  Lol.

They had guns.  Just couldn't use them cause of the acid blood.

SM

SM

That don't phase The Deisel, team player that he is.

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: SM on Nov 16, 2007, 06:13:54 AM
That don't phase The Deisel, team player that he is.
Well said.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Your probably a shaq fan aren't you diesel.

SiL

SiL

Gotta love hindsight.

Yeah, i mean didn't they ever see Alien?

The Diesel

The Diesel

Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 16, 2007, 06:25:47 AM
Your probably a shaq fan aren't you diesel.
Nope.  It's just been my nickname for a long time.

wolfboy

wolfboy

Quote from: wolfboy on Nov 15, 2007, 09:55:40 AM
Quote from: gameoverman on Nov 15, 2007, 09:03:24 AM
Quote from: wolfboy on Nov 15, 2007, 08:40:28 AM
Well maybe she could've fought back even if it meant death.  I mean, who wants to see the alien taking down humans without any effort at all ::)

Didn't you read my above post?  Some people fight, some people get scared.  This is more realistic.  Also, standing completely still can be a good tactic at dealing with dangerous animals.

Standing completely still sounds like a terrible tactic when the thing is stalking you and killing your crew.

I don't buy the whole paralyzing crap, that's just a conjecture. And she was left wide open to run away when the alien turned around to kill Parker in a slow rate. That's realistic. But no, what does she do? Stand there like an idiot and get killed while the alien is moving at her in an equally slow rate.

Why don't I just sit here and cry about this everyday.

There is a reason some kids never respond to bullying in school, its because their body is saying if they stand up to the bully, they'll get beaten.  Its the same thing when somebody beats kids or women.  Why don't they just "fight back"?  Its the same thing when a gunman holds a store hostage when there is absolutely no way he should be able too (21 people, seven rounds in the automatic).  Its the same thing when terrorist hijack four airplanes and only one group of passengers fights back.

People don't want to die, and the vast majority of people are pussies.  You can try to slice it anyway you want, but people get scared to the point they don't function rationally.  Lamberts death was justified by her hysterics earlier in the movie and by the nature of humankind itself.

I know what fight or flight is. I've taken Psychology 101 too ::) Lambert had a good 15-20 seconds to get out of her initial shock during which time the adrenaline rush would be building sky high. Realistically, she would've been running for her own life at full speed the second she saw Parker was a goner. Maybe she would trip over everything, I don't know, but that to me is more believable then standing there, waiting for the alien to kill Parker, then having the alien reaching up her leg without any kind of pushing away reflex.

People don't do anything when they're held hostage on the off-chance that they may be spared. Also, you're comparing this to kids getting bullied in school when you should be comparing it to a serial killer that's in your house, has you trapped in the corner and you know WILL kill you. I don't believe for a second that if this said serial killer is temporarily distracted for 10 seconds that anyone would just remain standing there in the corner. You said it yourself, people don't want to die.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed