Did Ridley scott do a good job at making prometheus a prequel to the alien film?

Started by predalien48, Aug 14, 2014, 02:38:17 PM

Author
Did Ridley scott do a good job at making prometheus a prequel to the alien film? (Read 9,811 times)

Randomizer

Prometheus was nice , but I don't find it good as a prequel .

atlantis

atlantis

It's a good movie... but i am still recovering from the fact that the SJ's are suits for humans... it. destroyed that whole mystery feeling from the original... So as prequel it's bad.. But doesn't matter anymore...
The damage is done.....

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: Blacklabel on Aug 14, 2014, 10:33:37 PM
^ Fifield's "pups" would have made a really good difference in Aliens to do recons on the Atmosphere Processor. :P
They may have been bleeding-edge at the time of Prometheus, but it does seem odd that something so obviously useful was not practically ubiquitous ninety years later.

Elmazalman

Minor quibbles aside,he did a good job.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SM on Aug 14, 2014, 10:35:13 PM
(If one ignores that fat lot of good they did in Prometheus...)

They lead the characters through the network on tunnels. Mapping the area to reveal the juggernaut giving the characters time to judge what to do about it.

Quote from: Doktor_Wunderbar on Aug 16, 2014, 08:18:31 AM
but it does seem odd that something so obviously useful was not practically ubiquitous ninety years later.

They were a technology designed by Fifield, most probably at the end of the prototype stage. Hence they most likely  were lost along with the crew of Prometheus.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: Alien³ on Aug 17, 2014, 12:04:43 AM
but it does seem odd that something so obviously useful was not practically ubiquitous ninety years later.

They were a technology designed by Fifield, most probably at the end of the prototype stage. Hence they most likely  were lost along with the crew of Prometheus.

I can imagine some sort of link between Fifield's pups and the device that scans Ripley's shuttle at the start of Aliens.  Though according to the Weyland promo website, the pups were Weyland tech, I'm 99% sure.  Though a lot of stuff on that website both references and muddles Alien continuity - like how the website says Atmospheric Processors have been around for decades and decades yet Burke still has to explain to Ripley what one was in Hadley's Hope.

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Aug 17, 2014, 01:05:05 AM
Quote from: Alien³ on Aug 17, 2014, 12:04:43 AM

I can imagine some sort of link between Fifield's pups and the device that scans Ripley's shuttle at the start of Aliens.  Though according to the Weyland promo website, the pups were Weyland tech, I'm 99% sure.  Though a lot of stuff on that website both references and muddles Alien continuity - like how the website says Atmospheric Processors have been around for decades and decades yet Burke still has to explain to Ripley what one was in Hadley's Hope.
They were described as a Weyland patent.  I've come to take promotional materials of any sort with a few grains of salt.

Darwinsgirl

like how the website says Atmospheric Processors have been around for decades and decades yet Burke still has to explain to Ripley what one was in Hadley's Hope.

Isn't the name kinda self-explanatory?   :)

MrSpaceJockey

He had to tell her the name first.

Gilfryd

Filmmakers should almost be barred from making prequels to their seminal science fiction works from now on.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Did Ripley know what a wheelbarrow was?

oduodu

SM

QuoteThey lead the characters through the network on tunnels. Mapping the area to reveal the juggernaut giving the characters time to judge what to do about it.

And yet the guy who brought them got lost and then got killed.  As did the guy with him.  Despite a nice big 3D map on Prometheus that pinpointed their exact location and could've been used to guide them.

Doktor Wunderbar

Quote from: SM on Aug 17, 2014, 11:05:20 PM
QuoteThey lead the characters through the network on tunnels. Mapping the area to reveal the juggernaut giving the characters time to judge what to do about it.

And yet the guy who brought them got lost and then got killed.  As did the guy with him.  Despite a nice big 3D map on Prometheus that pinpointed their exact location and could've been used to guide them.
Fifield was high.  I'm not surprised he got lost.  I also thought that him getting high was the single dumbest part of the movie, but at least it explains why he was lost.

MrSpaceJockey

To nitpick, we don't see him getting high until they settle in the ampule room after getting lost.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed