Weyland Industries website updated w/ Corporate Timeline!

Started by Cvalda, Mar 17, 2012, 02:41:35 AM

Author
Weyland Industries website updated w/ Corporate Timeline! (Read 41,040 times)

Deuterium

Quote from: bioweapon on Mar 17, 2012, 03:13:36 AM
Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 17, 2012, 03:11:43 AM
I realize this is a fictional, hypothetical...ALTERNATIVE time-line...but

QuoteWeyland Industries introduces the first FTL-capable SEV (space exploration vehicle).

January 17, 2034

That is approximately the time when we "HOPE" to have a sustained, manned presence on the Moon...and before there is even any optimisitc estimates of a manned landing on Mars.  Sometimes, REALITY SUCKS !!!

yes the reality of nations and company focused in terminate earht resources. we need a Weyland

I might have said, more accurately, that...sometimes REALITY and the PHYSICAL LAWS of NATURE SUCK!!!!

Cvalda

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 17, 2012, 03:11:43 AM
That is approximately the time when we "HOPE" to have a sustained, manned presence on the Moon...and before there is even any optimisitc estimates of a manned landing on Mars.  Sometimes, REALITY SUCKS !!!
I wouldn't even hold out much hope for the Moon thing. Space travel is doooooooomed.

But that's why we have sci-fi movies. :P

T Dog

WEYLAND REVIVES JIMO
Using capital from his 2015 success, Weyland acquires copyrights to technology developed by NASA's innovative but poorly funded Project Prometheus. With Weyland's significantly augmented funding for the project, JIMO became a reality and proves the existence of simple life in Europa's ocean.

I wonder do they go looking for life in this.

Deuterium

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 17, 2012, 03:15:43 AM
But that's why we have sci-fi movies. :P

True, that.  But I still think they should have pushed out the time-line by another hundred years, damn the pre-established "canon" time-line.

Cvalda

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 17, 2012, 03:18:14 AM
True, that.  But I still think they should have pushed out the time-line by another hundred years, damn the pre-established "canon" time-line.
Yeah, I hear you. But what can you do? I'd rather wish they hadn't turned Weyland into this super-genius/bordering on comic book-character guy, but hopefully that won't be emphasized too much in the film. This is clearly going to be more ALIENS than ALIEN in tone. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 17, 2012, 03:17:58 AM
WEYLAND REVIVES JIMO
Using capital from his 2015 success, Weyland acquires copyrights to technology developed by NASA's innovative but poorly funded Project Prometheus. With Weyland's significantly augmented funding for the project, JIMO became a reality and proves the existence of simple life in Europa's ocean.

I wonder do they go looking for life in this.

Not to be a "wet-blanket"...but Project Prometheus was a successor to the old NASA NERVA nuclear propulsion research.  Instead of using the NERVA model of nuclear thermal propulsion (which had some impressive ISPs), it was based on nuclear electric propulsion.  Basically, it was a high power density nuclear reactor generating electricity to power ion or mangeto-plasma propulsion...which has very poor specific impulse.  In EITHER case...neither method would have gotten to even a fraction of light speed.  The fastest "practical" method devised, utilizing "available" technology and theory, is Project Orion...which would maybe attain velocities of 0.10c (10% light speed).  Incidentally, this was formulated back in the late 1950s / early 1960s

OpenMaw

I'm rather blown away by that piece about Achereon/LV426. ...Could Prometheus actually take place there after all? Hm... Interesting. Unless Zeta Reticula is a major outpost area for the Jockey's and this other planet is just a neighbor.

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 17, 2012, 03:23:47 AM
Not to be a "wet-blanket"...but Project Prometheus was a successor to the old NASA NERVA nuclear propulsion research.  Instead of using the NERVA model of nuclear thermal propulsion (which had some impressive ISPs), it was based on nuclear electric propulsion.  Basically, it was a high power density nuclear reactor generating electricity to power ion or mangeto-plasma propulsion...which has very poor specific impulse.  In EITHER case...neither method would have gotten to even a fraction of light speed.  The fastest "practical" method devised utilizing "available" technology and theory is Project Orion...which would maybe attain velocities of 0.10c (10% light speed).

Mmhmm!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGE-WRqgPRE#

RoaryUK

Weyland builds and successfully deploys thousands of Seventh Generation Davids into workplaces across the universe. Human acceptance of David 7 reaches an all-time high thanks to Weyland's highly classified emotional encoding technology, David 7 can accurately replicate most human emotions down to the tiniest nuance while consistently achieving all mission objectives.

July 6, 2068

What I'd like to know is, if the David android was so widespread and successful, where does the Ash model fit into all this and how come it went so wrong?

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 17, 2012, 03:27:36 AM
I'm rather blown away by that piece about Achereon/LV426. ...Could Prometheus actually take place there after all? Hm... Interesting. Unless Zeta Reticula is a major outpost area for the Jockey's and this other planet is just a neighbor.

Mmhmm!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGE-WRqgPRE#

I mentioned "Project Orion".

"Project Daedelus" doesn't count, because it is based on controlled, SUSTAINED fusion reaction, which we haven't even reached in our best, most sophisticated laboratories.  So, it is as Sci-Fi (at this point) as matter-antimatter propulsion.

Cvalda

Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 17, 2012, 03:28:41 AM
What I'd like to know is, if the David android was so widespread and successful, where does the Ash model fit into all this and how come it went so wrong?
Maybe he's a top secret espionage model. :P

ThisBethesdaSea

So this time line essentially keeps ALIENS and ALIEN3 as cannon...mentioning a prison planet, a power loader, interstellar marines......I'm liking it. I have so many questions!!

Deuterium

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 17, 2012, 03:33:02 AM
So this time line essentially keeps ALIENS and ALIEN3 as cannon...mentioning a prison planet, a power loader, interstellar marines......I'm liking it. I have so many questions!!

The problem, as I have already mentioned, is that "Prometheus" and "Alien" now have to take place in some "alternative" reality.  I mean, look at Kubrick's 2001:  A Space Odyssey.  Basically, the Weyand time-line is setting us up for the same decoherence between reality and fantasy.  If they simply pushed everything back another hundred or more years, then we could still "dream" of the possibility.  The way it stands now...it isn't going to happen in our "universe".

Cvalda

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 17, 2012, 03:33:02 AM
:) Indeed! It's definitely an exciting time to be an ALIEN fan!

OpenMaw

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 17, 2012, 03:29:35 AM
"Project Daedelus" doesn't count, because it is based on controlled, SUSTAINED fusion reaction, which we haven't even reached in our best, most sophisticated laboratories.  So, it is as Sci-Fi (at this point) as matter-antimatter propulsion.

I know ya did. I was merely adding my two cents to what you said. :)

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 17, 2012, 03:29:35 AM

Still, it's an idea nonetheless.

I think the key thing to keep in mind with science fiction is often the idea of an unprecedented revolution creating a game-changing scenario is often the backbone for getting us out there. Something BIG happens to shift the paradigm back to making space travel more economical. Just because we're not there yet in this reality doesn't mean we can't dream, and to a degree I think that's one of the most important functions of the Science Fiction Genre. To dream big and hopefully inspire the smartest among us to turn dreams into realities.

Cvalda

Quote from: Deuterium on Mar 17, 2012, 03:37:05 AM
The way it stands now...it isn't going to happen in our "universe".
I don't think there was a chance of that ever happening, timeline or no timeline. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed