Martin Whist - The Predator Production Designer

Started by RakaiThwei, Jun 01, 2016, 03:19:40 AM

Author
Martin Whist - The Predator Production Designer (Read 7,166 times)

RakaiThwei

Martin Whist joins the team as the Production Designer.

https://www.facebook.com/DirectorFredDekker/posts/833263186805001

Corporal Hicks

I love Dekker's announcement.

QuoteVery pleased that Martin Whist has joined the team as Production Designer of THE PREDATOR. (P.S. I am not holding the ROBOCOP remake against him.)

:laugh: He also worked on Cabin in the Woods which I think it one of the best films of recent years.

Valaquen

Fred Dekker wrote Robocop 3. That's all I'll say :P

me

I would go with Legacy.  Keep The Predator in "the family" so to speak.  They learned from the master.

Scorpio

If Legacy is working on the effects, that's definitely good.  Hopefully they can fix some of the problems.  Stan Winston's predators looked the best but there were times when the rubber suit was obvious (the medkit scene, for example) and in Predator 2 some of the animatronic effects for the predator face looked a little strange in closeups.

I actually don't have too many nitpicks with ADI's or KNB's work.  The suits did look a little too bulky at times.  They also can't seem to get the predator faces right (one exception is the AVP Elder Predator which looked badass).  It's particularly noticeable with the classic predator, as you can directly compare.  Wolf and Berserker are great, though.

If they can at least top Wolf or Berserker, because that set the bar for the sequels (the original is unlikely ever to be topped nor P2).

Denton Smalls

Quotealso worked on Cabin in the Woods which I think it one of the best films of recent years.

Cabin in the Woods was sooo good.

KiramidHead

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 27, 2016, 03:26:10 PM
Fred Dekker wrote Robocop 3. That's all I'll say :P

Yeah, Fred, best not to throw stones in glass houses there.

BishopShouldGo

You could do that all day with any filmmaker. Don't be pedestrian.

skull-splitter

Seeing Cloverfield and Super 8 both had weird but generic looking creatures and Robocop 2014 was better than I expected but failed to make an impact design-wise because of the generic issue again, this does not bode well IMO.

SiL

Production designer isn't in charge of creature design. Both Cloverfield and Super 8 had creatures designed by Neville Page who's big on ... things that look like Clover and the Super 8 thing.

Mister Skeezler

Oh wow, I had no idea Neville Page worked on those. He headed up Prometheus' creature design too, didn't he?

Corporal Hicks

He was on the team. He did work on the Trek reboot as well iirc.

SiL

Which also had Clover/8mm-looking things.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. That big red thing.

SiL

Neville Page is a talented artist but dang does he lack some creativity.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed