Doom (2016) (Doom 4)

Started by Ratchetcomand, May 09, 2008, 12:07:44 PM

Author
Doom (2016) (Doom 4) (Read 86,766 times)

D88M

D88M

I wish we could get a Doom game that has a lot more in common with Ion Maiden with what they have done with these two new games.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Beat Doom16, was late to the party lol I f*ckin loved it mostly. Got a lil repetitive near the end. However the quality and tone of this game are exquisite. It felt like Doom finally lived up to the original game's box art. It was just a sh*t ton of fun.

Started the sequel and loving it, beautiful graphics and the gameplay feels so polished.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 24, 2020, 05:36:05 PM
Beat Doom16, was late to the party lol I f*ckin loved it mostly. Got a lil repetitive near the end. However the quality and tone of this game are exquisite. It felt like Doom finally lived up to the original game's box art. It was just a sh*t ton of fun.

Started the sequel and loving it, beautiful graphics and the gameplay feels so polished.
How are you finding Eternal? I thought it was a lot harder. Very satisfying to beat!

426Buddy

426Buddy

I've only just started but I'm pretty amazed at the amount of depth and polish added to the game. Graphics and game play received a big bump. It feels like a true evolution from the first, unlike games like Halo where the core game play still feels the same 6 games into the series.

-edit- this was in response to a post from FI that was later deleted.

I'll grant you that Halo has nailed a specific great core gameplay.

I remember my brother bought the Xbox at lauch and Halo. I wore out controllers playing it so much. Always a big fan. However after the 3rd game I started to feel a little bored. Now I'm finally playing through Gaurdians and while the graphics and gameplay are both great, I feel an immense sense of over familiarity. No sense of new and cool or forward progression (there has been some with the dashes and climbing mechanics) but still, I think the vehicle mechanics at this point just feel outright stale.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Because Halo perfected it's fair dance long ago and whilst every entry within the MCC's unique in places, the only mediocre one's still the best COD, and 343 Industries' first attempt's partially saved by a highly emotional narrative. Whilst no other entry's like Reach or ODST in a good way.

Guardians' also significantly unique from every other one before it in a bad way. It's attempts at evolving did not succeed ironically because at it's core Halo means identical starts for everyone and learning to use the three pillars of guns, grenades and melee to best opponents, whoever's most skillful at using the tools at their disposal wins something unfortunately no longer the case for the majority of this genre anymore, so I ultimately must agree to disagree as it may be outdated on a superficial level, but with barely any recent exceptions I only hold contempt for the majority of it's overly flashy contemporaries.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah I'm by no means a conosoiur of FPS's, I quit playing games from 2012-2019 and have only started playing again regularly since the pandemic. So I'm not experienced in a lot of current gen titles anyway. Also I am notoriously sh*tty at games in general, especially multiplayer. Doesn't stop me from playing but probably makes the finer points of twitch gameplay irrelevant to me.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I'm a Campaign or Singleplayer person totally myself, no good at Online or Multiplayer, but I know what makes Halo work fundamentally.

Attempting to change it's not succeeded yet though, I hope it will, but in a way Halo maintains it's identity.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I was just going to say earlier today I was playing AvP2 multiplayer and was called a"nOOb" and I've had the game for 18 years  :D

But yeah I also grew up playing games like the orignal DOOM and Wolfenstein so i'm not super hard to please I guess  ;D. I'm enjoying the story of Guardian though, also enjoyed Halo 4's story. I actually don't mind 343's Halo games, they have have some great eye candy graphics -wise too.. Never played Reach though.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I really love Reach. A wonderful send-off for Bungie's era of Halo.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 24, 2020, 08:43:23 PM
I've only just started but I'm pretty amazed at the amount of depth and polish added to the game. Graphics and game play received a big bump. It feels like a true evolution from the first, unlike games like Halo where the core game play still feels the same 6 games into the series.

-edit- this was in response to a post from FI that was later deleted.

I'll grant you that Halo has nailed a specific great core gameplay.

I remember my brother bought the Xbox at lauch and Halo. I wore out controllers playing it so much. Always a big fan. However after the 3rd game I started to feel a little bored. Now I'm finally playing through Gaurdians and while the graphics and gameplay are both great, I feel an immense sense of over familiarity. No sense of new and cool or forward progression (there has been some with the dashes and climbing mechanics) but still, I think the vehicle mechanics at this point just feel outright stale.

How did you find the difficulty between 2016 and Eternal?  I still haven't got around to playing Eternal, despite getting the box set  :'(  I keep hearing that the difficulty has increased, but don't know if it's attributed to how the arenas are set up or the new weapons/extras.  I'm glad the Rune Trials are gone though, didn't care for those in 2016.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Like I said I just started but in the first 10 minutes the game doesn't feel quite as fast and the action a little more purposeful. Not sure if I've noticed a change to the difficulty yet.

I found Doom16 to be pretty easy aside from a few boss fights. I will miss the trials actually, had a lot of fun and they increased my in game skill a little I think.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Wysps on Aug 25, 2020, 04:37:28 PM
I keep hearing that the difficulty has increased, but don't know if it's attributed to how the arenas are set up or the new weapons/extras.  I'm glad the Rune Trials are gone though, didn't care for those in 2016.
It is harder, but it's better. There's a lot more verticality, and a lot more intricacy in the combat. It's like playing ultraviolent chess.
You have to constantly work out what moves you need to make and when, and how you need to apply them to the current combat arena. It can be so hard, but it always feels fair. I've never once felt that a loss was anything but my own misstep somewhere along the way.
It's extremely satisfying to get through. Apart from Marauders. They suck.

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Deathbearer

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed