Forum Upgraded To SMF 2.1

Started by Darkness, Apr 27, 2022, 05:32:06 PM

Author
Forum Upgraded To SMF 2.1 (Read 9,581 times)

Darkness

Darkness

The forum will be upgraded to SMF 2.1 this Sunday so expect some downtime. It's the first big release really of SMF since 2.0 was released 11 years ago. All the newer themes have had to be ported from scratch but I'm afraid for those of you still on the old legacy themes, this is the point to get rid of those themes altogether.

I've tried to keep things as close as possible to the current themes but the biggest change is the header where pms and alerts can be accessed through menus.

The main new features:

-Better mobile layout.

-Time Zones - It actually takes Daylight Savings Time into account.

-Drafts - Autosaving of PMs and Posts and you can reselect them. Definitely a feature I wanted.

-New Post Editor with new emoticons. The WYSWYG editor is actually quite good if you don't want to use BBCode.

-Attached Images can be now placed anywhere in the post. They still appear at the bottom of the post if you haven't inserted them manually.

-Mentions - You can use @Darkness in a post which sends an alert to the member.

-Likes - This replaces the Karma system. We never used Karma before as I never really thought it was fair to give people permanent dislikes. There is no dislike option here and it's related to the post rather than the member. I do like on other forums that you can give posts a like. You might not have anything to add to the topic, but it might be worth giving a user's post a like to say you agree. We'll give the Likes system a go and see if it's worthwhile.

-Alerts system - This is the biggest feature. Things like mentions, when somebody quotes you, when a user likes your post, posts from boards and topics you're following. You can receive real-time notifications too even if you're not on the website. This can be all customized as to what you're alerted to.

There's many more little bits that have been changed. One important change is that PMs now require you to write a subject.

You will be logged out and will be required to log back in. If you can't remember your password, you can request a password reset here: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?action=reminder

Master Chief

Looking forward to using the new features.  The @ feature is a good upgrade.

BlueMarsalis79

I don't like this likes thing.

Stitch

Quote from: Darkness on Apr 27, 2022, 05:32:06 PM
You will be logged out and will be required to log back in.
Uh-oh. I'm gonna have to try to remember things...

BlueMarsalis79

The rest sounds alright tho

Darkness

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 27, 2022, 05:52:04 PM

Yeah, like I said, if nobody uses it, we can get rid of it. I just think every forum I go to nowadays has a Likes and Reactions feature. Before Facebook did it, it would have been unthinkable to add something like that but it's become pretty much standard now.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Any chance of allowing members to make multiple posts right after each other on a single thread without having to wait 24hrs?

Because those of us doing regular updates on the film board basically have to copy the old post, delete it, then make another post, paste the deleted post's text again along with the new updated info,  in order to bumb it so others can see it's been updated. It's all a bit of a schlep.

Some members don't even bother with that, so one is not always aware a post has been updated by the same member that last posted.

Darkness

We can do that now. How many hours do you think it should be? I always thought 24 was a decent number. It still marks the threads as unread for users if a post is auto merged but yes, it doesn't show up in people's Unread Posts.

You shouldn't ought to be having to do that. That's why the Merge thing was added - so people wouldn't have to do that.

Kradan

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 28, 2022, 12:02:43 PM
Any chance of allowing members to make multiple posts right after each other on a single thread without having to wait 24hrs?.

So much that

Stitch

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 27, 2022, 05:52:04 PM
I think I agree

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Darkness on Apr 28, 2022, 07:06:27 PM
We can do that now. How many hours do you think it should be? I always thought 24 was a decent number. It still marks the threads as unread for users if a post is auto merged but yes, it doesn't show up in people's Unread Posts.

You shouldn't ought to be having to do that. That's why the Merge thing was added - so people wouldn't have to do that.

Yeah, admin and mods can currently do it. If you take for example the Alien Day thread:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=65547.45

Hicks was constantly updating it throughout the day and you could see each time he posted something new because the thread got bumbed and time- stamped without him having to wait 24hrs to post again or for someone to reply below his last post.

So basically no wait period to post again in order to prevent auto-merging with the last post.

With regards to the "like" feature, I think it's a nice way of acknowledging an interesting post without needing to post a reply yourself. It's just a polite nod to the member who posted it, not a popularity contest or anything like that.

Darwinsgirl

This may just be a transitional issue with the change. The personal text that shows up under the Avatar is not working. I usually post a quote related to the Avatar.  :)

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Apr 28, 2022, 09:23:50 PM
Quote from: Darkness on Apr 28, 2022, 07:06:27 PM

Yeah, admin and mods can currently do it. If you take for example the Alien Day thread:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=65547.45

Hicks was constantly updating it throughout the day and you could see each time he posted something new because the thread got bumbed and time- stamped without him having to wait 24hrs to post again or for someone to reply below his last post.

So basically no wait period to post again in order to prevent auto-merging with the last post.

With regards to the "like" feature, I think it's a nice way of acknowledging an interesting post without needing to post a reply yourself. It's just a polite nod to the member who posted it, not a popularity contest or anything like that.

Yeah, Admins and Mods were always excluded. I get it for things like that where it's busy with news item after item but it's rare we get days like that. I'll reduce it though.

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Apr 29, 2022, 12:23:38 AM

This may just be a transitional issue with the change. The personal text that shows up under the Avatar is not working. I usually post a quote related to the Avatar.  :)

No problems here. I can see your personal text.

Darwinsgirl

Glad it shows up. When I look at my post nothing shows up under my Avatar. This way I know the text is visible to others.  :)

RidgeTop

Looking forward to the updates! Thanks, D. Those are some nice new features.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed