New Footage Shown at CinemaCon!

Started by Anthony, Mar 30, 2017, 06:10:52 PM

Author
New Footage Shown at CinemaCon! (Read 48,868 times)

newagescamartist

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Mar 31, 2017, 10:17:47 AM
I also just find it kind of ridiculous that after all that the Engineers are still kicking - and apparently just hanging out on their homeworld a mere 20+ years before Alien, despite their major cataclysm - all so David can end his and Shaw's cosmic journey by abruptly killing them, presumably so Ridley Scott and Fox can say 'all that space jockey stuff is gone, relax everybody, we're straight back to the aliens!'

And even if you don't want to go back to that stuff from the last movie, fine - but how and why are the legendary space jockeys, supposedly long dead, all still hanging out alive in what is nearly contemporary times for Alien? At best, if there were somehow survivors they should be beyond the reaches of where humanity (i.e. Covenant, not David and Shaw's juggernaut) can travel. It just destroys any mystique, all so they can insert a contrivance of 'look, David shows up and kills them all, we're done with that.'

That's a concern, I agree. I'm holding out hope that Scott and Fox want to explore this stuff some more, just not in Covenant.

Alien Runner

Quote from: Evanus on Mar 31, 2017, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: Alien Runner on Mar 31, 2017, 09:57:03 AM
If the spoilers are all true then the one where the mechanical part of the xenomorph has function must be true too! Can't wait.
Hmm, I don't recall reading about that. What did it say?

It just said that the mechanical appearance of the modern xenomorph isn't just for looks. It has a purpose and it helps the Alien move around the concrete/industrial jungles.

I thought about this new theory...

We know Jesus was an Engineer, if that is the case, I believe Mother Mary is the Alien Queen from AVP.

Dangerous Days

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Mar 31, 2017, 10:05:41 AM
Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 31, 2017, 09:23:19 AM
it does seem contradictory to other information we have, but I'm just speculating based off some of the descriptions of the new footage, which seems to be suggesting the victims aren't Engineers, but another humanoid race.

Everyone's tired of hearing from me, but: People are mistaken about them being 'different aliens' just because they're dressed differently or the look might be a bit different. They're the Engineers, everyone else has said so, the production as mentioned above says so. This is the Engineer homeworld - David shows up and kills them - end of space jockey mystery.

If that sounds like an abrupt and convenient ending to a massive story thread, that's because it is.

David was programmed by Weyland to be obsessed with 'perfection'
Spoiler
as will be outlined in the prologue with Guy Pearce
[close]
hence his new drive to create/recreate, destroy all old forms of life and make new ones. He is now a mad scientist with delusions of grandeur.

Your probably right SpeedyMaxx. Just want to see the trailer for myself, so I'm not relying on other peoples descriptions of what they thought they saw. A common problem with all these test screenings as well.

If your right, then I agree, it would be a terrible waste of the Engineers narrative potential for future films.

shawsbaby

shawsbaby

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Mar 31, 2017, 10:17:47 AM
I also just find it kind of ridiculous that after all that the Engineers are still kicking - and apparently just hanging out on their homeworld a mere 20+ years before Alien, despite their major cataclysm - all so David can end his and Shaw's cosmic journey by abruptly killing them, presumably so Ridley Scott and Fox can say 'all that space jockey stuff is gone, relax everybody, we're straight back to the aliens!'

And even if you don't want to go back to that stuff from the last movie, fine - but how and why are the legendary space jockeys, supposedly long dead, all still hanging out alive in what is nearly contemporary times for Alien? At best, if there were somehow survivors they should be beyond the reaches of where humanity (i.e. Covenant, not David and Shaw's juggernaut) can travel. It just destroys any mystique, all so they can insert a contrivance of 'look, David shows up and kills them all, we're done with that.'

By cataclysm, do you mean the outbreak we see in Prometheus? It is explained that this happened 2,000 years prior on a planet that's basically an army base. It's not like that wiped out every single Engineer. Our surviving Engineer in Prometheus was simply the survivor of that outbreak, and it makes sense to me that others wouldn't bother to go back to that planet post-outbreak. There's no good reason to believe there aren't other Engineers on other planets, still kicking, in "present" day. Unless I'm forgetting something in Prometheus that suggested they were extinct?

ChrisPachi

If..

Spoiler
..there are two ships: the Juggernaut from 223 and a larger ship, both of which link up before bombing the planet..
[close]

..then what the holy f**k is going on here!?

SpeedyMaxx

I do mean that outbreak, yes. It was suggested then that they were wiped out, and until now the mythos basically said the space jockeys have been gone for millennia. I saw no suggestion in any film - certainly not in Prometheus - that any other Engineers/jockeys were left alive in 2094. I just think the idea of them just chilling on their forest planet a couple decades before Alien waiting for Michael Fassbender to come nuke them is kind of ridiculous and detracts from the mystique of the original film.

And no, I don't think there are two ships. But who knows.

Evanus

Evanus

Yup. It's just so silly when you think about it. Even though I like seeing living engineers, it would have been much better if they were already dead.

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't add up to me.

If this is the Engineers home world, then its a pretty disappointing place for such a technologically advanced race. One city, no other countries or nations on the whole planet?

David can wander in there and defeat them all in this way. A race that advanced and supposedly superior to us?

Where is their advanced technology and military (which we know they have from LV-223) their government and defences?

If they are the 'real' Engineers on that planet and not just another humanoid race, created in the Engineers image. Then I'm hoping Paradise is just one of their sacred worlds, being looked after by their equivalent of our monks, tending to the citadel. While other more advanced Engineers are living back on their home world and other colonies. If not the whole premise is somewhat ridiculous to me.

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 31, 2017, 12:09:55 PM
Then I'm hoping Paradise is just one of their sacred worlds,

I'm hoping Ridley kicks the bucket before he makes another of these films.

..and maybe someone at Fox can
give this franchise back to Walter Hill and Giler.

fernandito

...and when we finally get to see this latest trailer probably by mid April, we will then have spoiled ourselves like 90% of the entire movie in total, counting the other two trailers already seen. That said, the only remaining non-auto-spoiled thing about the movie left for us will be typical last act surprise, which imo will involve Shaw regardless some 4chan folks insist she's been killed /experimented on.

It's happening the same as with Prometheus. Scott is once more giving away the entire goddamn movie as If he didn't give a damn about anything else.

I don't trust him. I know Lindelof is fortunately no more, but taking into account Scott is doing the same again then that leaves me with so many doubts regarding the eventual quality of the film.

What happened with that Scott who showed us a couple of two quick shots literally when promting alien back in the seventies, and of course none of the two showed any creature?. Now it's justa 'bout building and building hype on the net; lots of money for marketing purposes, and then we shall see whether or not the film itself lives up to its own crazy marketing campaign of massive spoiling. But of course we will have already payed our theater pass before we can find it out.

The ammount of money they make that comes directly from the advertising made on a thousand internet sites like this one covering the movie thanks to the curious fools like us all, willing to spoil the movie ourselves gotta be so astronomic, that perhaps that's just the sole reason for Scott to not give a flying damn about giving away the entire movie.., again.

NickisSmart

My thoughts in this new trailer, pre-viewing it.

Essentially I am weighing two things: 1) the symbiotic relationship between a suggested scene in the Gothic mode of storytelling and the viewer's imagination, potentially empowering both, versus 2) the potential value of knowing a certain amount of information retrospectively going in, as an audience to a ghost story teller's tale--from a second viewing of a movie, or a first viewing of a movie after having seen a trailer or viral that supplies us with certain key bits of knowledge that can potentially make or break the storytelling scene.

zoidy

zoidy

@fernandito

what you are complaining about is modern trailers, the modern movie industry, not Scott.

The film will not be made better or worse, or more or less successful, because you watched some trailers that you (think) spoil the movie too much. The movie will be good or bad based on what Scott and the actors did, and it will be successful or not based on the number of people who go and see it.

If the trailer spoils too much, but draws in huge numbers of people, it's done it's job.

I think complaining about it is ... hilarious  ;D

@skhellter

I would hope you stay awake at night wracked with guilt and shame for posting such a thing.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: skhellter on Mar 31, 2017, 12:24:17 PM
I'm hoping Ridley kicks the bucket before he makes another of these films.
That's uncalled for and needlessly mean. Please refrain from saying things like this.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Mar 31, 2017, 12:06:19 PMAnd no, I don't think there are two ships. But who knows.

Spoiler
The footage started with an arc-like ship flying in the air. Think of it like an upside-down U, with the opening at the bottom. It then links with the iconic ship we recognise from LV-426 and other Alien films — the craft is a similar shape, but is flying in a different configuration. They link with their open ends, kind of like a puzzle...

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/03/theres-a-scene-in-alien-covenant-that-shows-destruction-on-a-whole-new-horrific-level/

The footage opened with a bunch of ships hovering over a civilization...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/77536
[close]

We know nothing.

Imbrie

Imbrie

The Gizmodo article also corroborates others about
Spoiler
the beings wiped out by David are something between Engineer and Human.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed