Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 691,326 times)

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

I totally agree with you guys who hate Halo 2's story.

The multiplayer is great, the campaign is short, the arbiter is boring, and the flood, again, is lame as hell.

As for the covenant, giving them the whole religious storyline and actually delving the player deep into the covenant storyline was unneeded.  It ruined the aura of the badass unstoppable covenant force which glassed planets at will.

Halo 3 looks f**king icredible though.  Our Halo 3 forum has 22,000 posts, even if it may be full of nothing but little kids who are home from school and have nothing better to do.

I trust you have all seen the new 60 second tv spot that aired during Monday Night Football last week right?

Cabal

Cabal

To all those who found Halo 2 to be lacking story-wise (as I did) a reason.

This is long, but any true Halo Fan should find it HIGHLY fascinating...

The following is all true, based on documentaries, articles, interviews, the special DVD that came with the game's Silver Edition, and basic perception.

Roughly 7 months before E3 2003, Bungie decided they would shock the world with an intense footage of live, actual gameplay that blew everyone away. Unfortunately, 7 months before E3 2003, all they had finished making so far was the game's basic outline (story and content-wise) and an experimental version of the game's engine, all of which took about 5 months in itself. Nevertheless, they spent the next 7 months solely on that 10 demo so that it would hype us out of our minds for the actual game. Anything they could think of that seemed cool, they threw into the demo without thinking about any consequences it may have. Like people thinking it would be in the game. They were just too excited to care. 

Ultimately, finishing the demo took up all of their 7 months of work time.

After Bungie hyped the world out of its mind with their undeniably awesome demo, they came back and realized they had made a mistake that not even the public or gaming press would think a game company could make... which officially became known as, based on hard stats, "The Greatest Upset in Gaming History". 

They had wasted the last 7 months of work. Completely and 100%. They realized they didn't have a level. They didn't even have a part of a level. What they had was a demo, that ran on an experimental engine that ultimately could not work with the Xbox, and none of it could be implemented into the actual game. For the next TWO months, I kid you not, Bungie studios was practically empty because they were so confused on what course of action to take. 

Those 2 months dwindled away. That's when Microsoft showed up...

Microsoft, being fair and rational, inquired as to why the hell Bungie had been screwing around with Halo 2 for 1.5 years but still seemed to have no useable material. Who knows if Bungie leveled with Microsoft and admitted they screwed up, or if they hid the truth somehow. The fact was, the hype for Halo 2 had been set with an actual playable demo. The public would not stand for waiting much longer after seeing something that made the game look so... complete. In all rationality, a good game takes about 1.5 years to make. It had been almost 2 since the public thought Halo 2 was in the works. So Microsoft did what it had to do. It gave Bungie a deadline that would wind up as their death sentence. They were given 10 months to finish the game before Microsoft demanded the discs be made and shipped. 

They hadn't even started making the actual game...

For ten months, Bungie studios sacrificed every fiber of their beings to make the game. They did not go to their homes after work. They designed and programmed for 18 to 20 hours a day, falling asleep on their desks or on beanbags. They rushed the game furiously. Slamming it together piece by piece, hoping things at least functioned without a total crash. 

And as the leader of Bungie said, "At that moment, Pandora's Box was opened...".

Literally 75% of what Bungie had originally intended to be in the game, had to be scrapped. It was absolutely the only way to finish the game on time. If anyone wants me to, I can develop a list of what was promised in the game that was ripped from it. 

The worst part of it all, was that even the original intended storyline had to be mutilated. Anybody remember the original Halo 2 Teaser where the MC jumped out of a space station? Think about what we saw happening to Earth in that trailer. Or watch it again. What do you notice?

Earth... is in flames.

Most people have forgotten that the trailer and demo of Halo 2 both gave a direct impression that the game would contain the first stage of THE LAST BATTLE FOR EARTH. ALL ACROSS AND OVER EARTH. Think of the demo. Human bombers bunker-busting giant covenant artillery, Jackals marching in Rusty Nails"

I tend to believe this, particularly as Bungie are now working in "opposite" conditions: No defined release date, they are out-sourcing the teaser/trailer responsibilities.

Also, mistakes made in Halo 2 seem to have been taken to heart. Earth is central. Don't expect a trunkated earth-campaign. There is no sign that there will be any other playable race (maybe I'm just being naive). Stronger story devices, in that the story, at least the emotional focus, will utilise flashbacks to give the Masterchief a greater human element. This possibly because he will die in Halo 3.

FACEBOX

FACEBOX

Halo seems to be a rip off of ALIENS.
Here's why:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's not a ripoff. It's just inspired by.

FACEBOX

FACEBOX

My mistake. :-\

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Not a ripoff, but what hasn't been inspired by an incredible movie like Aliens?

In fact, Halo has a lot taken from Predator and Alien

Invisibility cloak
Aliens with mandibles
Aliens with warrior caste system

The pelican looks like the dropship
Numerous soldiers have some quotes like that of Hicks and Hudson

Johnson is pretty much a carbon copy of Al Matthews as Apone

The pillar of Autumn looks a hell of a lot like the Sulaco.

Yautja

Yautja

The dropship in Halo is also very similar to the one from Aliens.

http://nikon.bungie.org/screenshots/radiativenz.090703/ship.jpg

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

It sure is.

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Well if you go to the staff pages at Bungie.com, and look at their influences and favorite movies, most of them have Alien or Aliens listed.

carlp06

carlp06

This game is amazing and especially on pc.Unfortunately I only have the demo for it which I downloaded.This games nothin compared to AVP2 though ;D

DB

DB

Halo forces AvP2 back into its shithole in shame.

My friend got an Xbox 360 with Halo 2 for Xmas and he's preparing for the Rise of the Elites. No longer will players using Elites be judged as n00bs and losers. :P

gojiramatthew

gojiramatthew

I LOVE to Kill grunts. ;D

~Jarrecko~

~Jarrecko~

I recently played Halo2 online. The multiplayer is incredible :o But, I noticed there is a large amount of hacking going on..invincibility hacks, super speed, jumping hacks

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

The only serious place hackers and modders come into play is the higher ranked games.

It's b.s.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

bungie reports they have been bagging modders, I myself have seen people disappear on my scope who would have died, but I'm confuse as it was either a modder or a bad connection. anyway Chief and Spartans rule!!! 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed