Why did Ridley change the story?

Started by Mrengineer, Sep 06, 2020, 09:05:22 AM

Author
Why did Ridley change the story? (Read 9,018 times)

Mrengineer

Mrengineer

This has baffled me for years...did he retcon Prometheus?

In Prometheus we see the following evidence there were Aliens that were already created

- When the crew find the dead bodies of piled up engineers, their chests were clearly broken out
- There was some sort of 'shrine' to the alien egg, AND, on the wall you clearly saw the ALIEN set up like Jesus on a crucifix

So if David created the Xenos, what did they find in the Prometheus military out post?

Samhain13

Quote from: Mrengineer on Sep 06, 2020, 09:05:22 AM

Kind of. During the making of Covenant I think he had another one of his brain farts and well that happened.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Mrengineer on Sep 06, 2020, 09:05:22 AM

In Prometheus we see the following evidence there were Aliens that were already created

- When the crew find the dead bodies of piled up engineers, their chests were clearly broken out
- There was some sort of 'shrine' to the alien egg, AND, on the wall you clearly saw the ALIEN set up like Jesus on a crucifix

So if David created the Xenos, what did they find in the Prometheus military out post?

Because he's old and doesn't know what the f**k he's doing story wise.

David Weyland

The Alien is the black goo
The outbreak on lv-223 were creatures that came about as a result of infection with engineers and black goo

The mural depicts 'alien type creatures' but they are not xenomorphs or facehuggers as we traditionally know
Personally I think the Mural to be a form of portend or mirror. It is when David touches the black goo remarking that it's organic that the ceiling paintings in the room change and the storm kicks off

The Xenomorph with its biomech qualities is being implied to be the result of Davids work

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

You could always argue that the Aliens had been created already and David just followed the engineers work to recreate them.

Personally I think the Aliens infecting humanoid like creatures because they were created to do so is one of the few things that make sense in the prequels. 

son_of_kane

The black goo is to Alien what midi-chlorians were to Star Wars. A device used to try to explain something that didn't really require explaining in the first place  >:(

Evanus

Evanus

I don't really agree - the black goo adds an extra layer of mysteriousness, if anything. Sure, it's a bit of a McGuffin, but I like how they kept it vague in the sense that we don't know where it came from and why it creates all these horrible xenomorph-esque creatures and mutations. I think they did it on purpose to keep the true origin a mystery.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: son_of_kane on Sep 06, 2020, 03:55:00 PM
The black goo is to Alien what midi-chlorians were to Star Wars. A device used to try to explain something that didn't really require explaining in the first place  >:(

The pathogen is the genesis of life on Earth and the raw material that shaped the Alien and all of the various other creatures in Prometheus and Covenant but we don't know anything at all about where it came from, if it was found or created by the Engineers, what else it does or the extent of its abilities, etc. The mysterious origin of the Alien has, essentially, been transferred to the pathogen now, and it can be every bit as incomprehensibly Lovecraftian as the viewer wants to read it to be, with David's Alien representing his design while not at all expressing the full limits it holds within.

Mrengineer

Quote from: David Weyland on Sep 06, 2020, 01:57:06 PM
The Alien is the black goo
The outbreak on lv-223 were creatures that came about as a result of infection with engineers and black goo

The mural depicts 'alien type creatures' but they are not xenomorphs or facehuggers as we traditionally know
Personally I think the Mural to be a form of portend or mirror. It is when David touches the black goo remarking that it's organic that the ceiling paintings in the room change and the storm kicks off

The Xenomorph with its biomech qualities is being implied to be the result of Davids work

All valid points, however at the mural crucifix we know the alien already had biotech look. The engineers outfits are literally the similar make up to the LV246 Alien. So i always thought the engineer DNA seeded the Alien, as seen at the end of Prometheus.

I think Ridley has gone mad lol

SM

SM

The only things he 'retconned' - for lack of a better word - was the Jockey being a dead skeleton and the Derelict being very old.  And since neither of those things are properly established on screen, they're open to being reinterpreted.

Local Trouble

Are you at liberty to divulge whether or not they're at least aware that some of Ridley's decisions have been divisive or downright unpopular?

SM

SM

They made Covenant didn't they?

Local Trouble

Are they aware that Covenant simply made matters even worse for some?

SM

SM

Who is "they"?

Local Trouble

Y'know... Them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed