What did Ridley mean about the Derelict?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Jun 08, 2020, 04:31:40 PM

What did Ridley mean about the Derelict?

The manufacture of the Derelict and its purpose is not the work of the Engineers, but rather of that, the work of another species.
It is an Engineer ship, but the pilot is another kind of Engineer due to whatever the reason (caste, mutation, etc.)
It is an engineer ship being used by David. Maybe he is the Space Jockey.
The above but with Walter.
The above but with a human character.
Author
What did Ridley mean about the Derelict? (Read 3,480 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Ridley Scott"I still think there's a lot of mileage in 'Alien,' but I think you'll have to now re-evolve. What I always thought when I was making it, the first one, why would a creature like this be made and why was it traveling in what I always thought was a kind of war-craft, which was carrying a cargo of these eggs. What was the purpose of the vehicle and what was the purpose of the eggs? That's the thing to question — who, why, and for what purpose is the next idea, I think."

I am curious to learn from your interpretations of Scott's last quote for two reasons:

1.We already know who made the Alien.

2. We already know who designed the Juggernaut-type ships and what they do.

Now let me know your bets on this.

j0nesy

but do we know who made the alien? or if they were "made" at all? i'm still banking on them pre-dating engineers, and being around for a long time, sharing the universe with the space jockey race

we know who made the version we see in covenant, though :laugh:

Immortan Jonesy

The director can change his mind and devise a recontextualization of his previous work. But until this happens, I'd say that the answer is yes. We know who made the Alien and for what purpose. Which makes me very curious in my desire to understand what he meant.  :laugh:

j0nesy

has there ever been a director who changed his mind more than ridley scott? :P

Vermillion

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 08, 2020, 04:31:40 PM
I am curious to learn from your interpretations of Scott's last quote for two reasons:

He might have forgotten he made Covenant & Prometheus. He's a very busy man you know.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 08, 2020, 06:24:13 PM

He might have forgotten he made Covenant & Prometheus. He's a very busy man you know.

I bet Ridley is going to ask Michael Fasbender to return to his blondie look and recast Noomi Rapace as Shaw.

Or as you point out, maybe he even forgot about Prometheus. If he has a chance with Disney, this could be his second first prequel!!! 😱🧐🌈✨ :o :o :o

Xenomrph

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 08, 2020, 05:02:03 PM
The director can change his mind and devise a recontextualization of his previous work. But until this happens, I'd say that the answer is yes.
I believe we will have to agree to disagree. :)

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jun 08, 2020, 05:02:03 PM
The director can change his mind and devise a recontextualization of his previous work. But until this happens, I'd say that the answer is yes. We know who made the Alien and for what purpose. Which makes me very curious in my desire to understand what he meant.  :laugh:

Ehhhh, there to much wiggle room and too many differences for this to be argued.

Vermillion

Shaw is dead. Dissected.  The Queen bee. Patient zero.
She is the Covid-19 of the Alien/engineers universe.

Highland

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 08, 2020, 06:24:13 PM

This is pretty much what I was going to say, but seriously.

Immortan Jonesy

Indeed. It sounds something like half joke half reality.  :laugh:

Highland

Next interview he will be like - " You know , you're watching Prometheus and I'm like - Why did nobody ask the question of what the hell this movie is all about"

"That's where we are going with it, The evolution of an evolution, evolved"

Stitch

Quote from: Highland on Jun 10, 2020, 04:22:11 AM
Next interview he will be like - " You know , you're watching Prometheus and I'm like - Why did nobody ask the question of what the hell this movie is all about"

"That's where we are going with it, The evolution of an evolution, evolved"
"I was watching Prometheus, and I just wondered, you know, what would happen if the Predators were involved? Now we'll see that Origae 6 is actually where these hunters come from, and David... or Walter?.. the android will have to deal with how his perfect creation interacts with this whole other species that he wasn't involved with. Also they have vagina mouths, so that really riles him up."

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Creatives always revise and change concepts. Though I've steel-manned certain choices made from logical and biological reasons, I can see Ridley introducing another big bad player in the hierarchy. His version of "God". It may be his last chance to take a crack at such an idea.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed