Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 319,065 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Dicktease lol  :D

I'm intrigued to check it out

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

This post is originally from the "Eternals (2021)" thread for the upcoming Marvel film, but I figured I'd cross-post into this board since it its a fun reference point that Prometheus fans might be interested in. Wasn't sure which thread exactly to drop it in, but I figured this one was kind of a general catch-all for thoughts on the film.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 20, 2021, 05:21:48 AM
I'm reading the original Jack Kirby run of this currently (just finished issue 7, so I'm not quite halfway done yet) and I'm finding there to be a shocking amount of thematic and visual overlap with Prometheus. Both very much ooze von Däniken, so there are bound to be shared reference points, but they both extend beyind the historical context and feature the ancient alien "gods" potentially returning to Earth to wipe out their creations as well (in this case, the Celestials are the creators of Humans, the Eternals, and the Deviants on Earth).

An archeological dig on Earth, back in the first issue:

This is definitely a fun read so far. A bit clunky, in the way comics from this era can be, but that's part of the charm. There's no way this story is going to be getting a 1:1 adaptation on the big screen, but there are so many rich concepts here that can absolutely be mined in some really cool ways. I think Eternals is probably my most anticipated of the non-sequel Marvel films coming down the pipeline. I hope it really goes all out with a Jack Kirby aesthetic.

To add another note, there was even an interesting moment in the comic where the Eternals were responsible for helping guide and save Noah's Ark during the Flood (the Flood was started by the Celestials, of course :D ), which reminded me a lot of Ridley's comments about Jesus being an Engineer. I doubt that Scott, Spaihts, or Lindelof referenced this comic in the slightest, but it is interesting to see the way the same point of inspiration (that being, Chariots of the Gods) rippled through the two different works.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Good eye! reminds me of the Prometheization of Pakal's sarcophagus lid.

Kradan

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

So if 4/26 is Alien Day then surely 2/23 is Prometheus Day right?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

heres my fan review

"no"

-81/76

thanks for coming to my youtube channel please like and subscribe

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

A free advertising review? Subscribed!

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

People are still posting here? Wow.

My thoughts:

The film is full of ideas, largely circling around creation and religion. But none of them are new, and none of them are explored in very interesting ways. Every concept explored in Prometheus has been done elsewhere to greater effect. Probably in an episode of Star Trek somewhere.

The film looks spectacular, as film fans have come to expect from Ridley Scott projects but they're merely a nicely patterned shell around a seriously hollow story. On the face of things, explorers following an ancient roadmap to the stars to meet what could be our creators seems like a fascinating starting point. Unfortunately the film only presents us with questions upon questions and little reason to care about the answers.

An audience's ability to get invested in a story hinges largely on the characters and that's one area where Prometheus really suffers for me, because there aren't any characters. At least none that had a strong enough identity to care about them dying horribly. There's a cast of brilliant actors in the film that just didn't have very good material to work with. Characters do and say things that come out of nowhere or seem contrary to what we'd expect of them and there is little time devoted to making us understand why anyone does anything.

The film could have gone in a Lovecraft-esque cosmic horror direction very easily given the concept. Yet somehow its horror elements always feel at odds with the ideas Ridley Scott obviously wants to explore re: the engineers creating humans and humans creating androids. The film struggles to find a tone and stick with it while it's caught up in its attempts to be both profound and frightening at the same time.

Notice I didn't mention Alien or the film's connection to Alien at all. That's because the film scarcely has a connection, beyond some superficial elements like the Engineers' aesthetic and the Weyland corporation. It feels like a totally separate movie and I'm curious whether it would have been better if it had never tried to link itself to Alien in the first place.

All in all, Prometheus is a well-crafted film in most respects, but its foundation is a script that could have done with some heavy rewrites to really make it good. It's never offensive, but it's frequently disappointing and baffling enough to get a 3/5 from me.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

QuoteI'm curious whether it would have been better if it had never tried to link itself to Alien in the first place.

I reckon a lot of Alien fans would have liked it more without the connection, but I don't think it'd have objectively improved anything about the film.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

I largely agree, but I do wonder how much of the final film is a result of the studio pushing for it to be more similar to Alien in xyz ways. I guess what I really mean is, I wonder what the film might have looked like if Ridley was left to pursue the story that interested him, because I always got the impression the studio was more keen to connect it with Alien than he was.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Probably a lot more like Raised by Wolves.

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Can't comment since I haven't seen it haha. After Prometheus and Covenant I lost a lot of my adolescent reverence for Ridley so I don't go out of my way to watch his work.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Raised by Wolves has his fingerprints all over it, but isn't truly his project. I'd strongly recommend it though.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Well, one thing in common that one can rescue from the prequels is how much Ridley Scott loves the art of moebious, and who doesn't anyway?

Moebius' influence on Prometheus

And yup, he loves Moebious, And I'm sure Aaron Guzikowski, creator of Raised by Wolves, was aware of that.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

QuoteAnd yup, he loves Moebious, And I'm sure Aaron Guzikowski, creator of Raised by Wolves, was aware of that.

Considering that it's Moebius: The Series featuring Prometheus themes, yeah, I'd say so.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed