Alien: Isolation MotherVR Mod Impressions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 30, 2017, 08:37:55 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation MotherVR Mod Impressions (Read 16,568 times)

Corporal Hicks

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/games/alien-isolation/alien-isolation-mothervr-mod-impressions/

QuoteA new Alien: Isolation mod entitled "MotherVR" has brought VR functionality to the Oculus Rift on PC. Modder Zack "Nibre" Fannon has taken what once was only compatible with the development kit model of Oculus and ported it to the consumer version. Nibre plans on providing functionality for the HTC Vive headset as well.

Alien: Isolation VR mode was previously demoed at E3 2014 leading up to the game's release. Unfortunately this prototype VR mode was only used for promotional purposes and the feature never made its way into the full release. Last fall, Sega hinted that the game may receive a VR update or re-release, but we haven't heard anything since.

The feature was still hidden inside of the game's code, and thanks to Nibre it's now easily accessible to anyone with a consumer model Oculus Rift. I had the chance to test the mod with my Oculus Rift, and thought I might share some impressions.

By RidgeTop.

RidgeTop

I had a really good time with the VR feature.

The mod has just been updated to Alpha version 0.3.0, which added HTC Vive support.

Iron Infililtrator

Virtual Reality Alien Isolation was probably the most scariest experiences I've ever had with something the creates the illusion of being near something horrifying. It feels like walking into a deserted area where your friends told you it was haunted, you just feel the dread. How was your experience?

Olde

How has this not been made official? No, I mean seriously. How? Are Sega THAT stupid?

Corporal Hicks

Perhaps VR just isn't considered main-stream enough for it to be worth the risk. Alien is niche enough as it is and VR isn't in every household.

Kimo

Why I ain't played this game mod in VR due to not having an Oculus/Vive. I really hope something that has Alien(s) in the title comes to PSVR in the near future. One of the best VR horror experience ive had was playing the whole Resident Evil 7 in VR for the first time. It just made me wish for an AlienVR game even more.  :'(

I agree with what Corporal Hicks says. VR is not main stream enough at the moment, it's still a novelty. The price needs to dramastically drop, and 4K screens need to be the norm for VR. Also Let's hope films like Ready Player One can also boost the sales of VR then we may get a true Alien AAA title made for VR in the near future.

Olde

That VR isn't "mainstream" or in every household is sort of like saying there's no reason to make VR games at all. Yet VR games exist, which means there must be some sort of market for them.

And Sega wouldn't even have to build the game from scratch, which most VR games have been. This mod's very existence is evidence enough that it didn't take much to transfer the game to the platform. This dude made the mod all by himself without getting paid. All Sega would have to do is work out a deal with him to add VR support to their game. It would be incredibly easy.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Iron Infililtrator on Aug 31, 2017, 03:06:59 AM
Virtual Reality Alien Isolation was probably the most scariest experiences I've ever had with something the creates the illusion of being near something horrifying. It feels like walking into a deserted area where your friends told you it was haunted, you just feel the dread. How was your experience?

It was great man. Naturally there were a few bugs and issues but overall, for shorter bursts of play, it's an enthralling Alien experience.

I think VR is still in its infancy and will come into its own. Prices have already dropped drastically for both the Vive and the Rift. Next year we'll likely start to see some wireless headsets.

Iron Infililtrator

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 05, 2017, 09:57:06 AM
Quote from: Iron Infililtrator on Aug 31, 2017, 03:06:59 AM

It was great man. Naturally there were a few bugs and issues but overall, for shorter bursts of play, it's an enthralling Alien experience.

I think VR is still in its infancy and will come into its own. Prices have already dropped drastically for both the Vive and the Rift. Next year we'll likely start to see some wireless headsets.
Definitely agree.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Olde on Sep 03, 2017, 01:19:53 AM
That VR isn't "mainstream" or in every household is sort of like saying there's no reason to make VR games at all. Yet VR games exist, which means there must be some sort of market for them.

Not saying that at all. Just that some companies may consider it too much of a risk for some properties.

QuoteAnd Sega wouldn't even have to build the game from scratch, which most VR games have been. This mod's very existence is evidence enough that it didn't take much to transfer the game to the platform. This dude made the mod all by himself without getting paid. All Sega would have to do is work out a deal with him to add VR support to their game. It would be incredibly easy.

Completely fair point and I'd forgotten things like Value adopting some mods as officially endorsed. Yeah, I can see what you mean with that. Perhaps Sega just aren't as interested in community stuff (which really wouldn't surprise me given the lack of modding support for all the releases under Sega) or hopefully they've got their own VR stuff in the works. IIRC they did express some interest in the possibility in the past.

Corporal Hicks

So the guy who made MotherVR has continued working on the mod!

bobcunk

Why wasnt this realest to psvr? It seems like a perfect game to be in vr.

Richman678

Well this is the main game to play for oculus rift.

I might get one now.

Corporal Hicks

I keep being more and more tempted to get a rig.

Perfect-Organism

Ok, I'm sold.  This looks awesome.  Assuming I am using an Xbox 360 and I have the game, what else do I need to do to enjoy this terror?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed